• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pleasing Dutch&Dutch testimonial

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Courtesy of Gearslutz
Finally I got my 8C last week after I had a demo pair for a while. Normally, the delivery was scheduled for this week, but Martijn from Dutch&Dutch called me last week that he is in my area for a business appointment and can deliver my 8C personally. And last Thursday Martijn visited me and brought in a brand new pair of 8C. I set these up until the next day everything worked fine. Then on last Saturday, when Martijn and his colleague finished their other business, they visited me again in my studio to measure and placed the 8C properly. Can you imagine, the two guys worked about three hours to get the best performance between the 8C and my room, before going on a exhausting journey over 700 kilometers by car back to Rotterdam.. To make it short, not only the 8C´s are amazing but also the people behind them! Very helpful, friendly and open minded. And probably the best service for me in 25+ years of pro audio purchases. Now I´m very grateful that not only the measurements are looking good, but also the sound is as good as it gets in my room. Thank you so much, Martijn, and it was a pleasure to meet you!
thumb.gif

A few words to my short experience with the 8C. When I first heard the 8C I thought they doesn´t sound very spectacular, just a solid and clean sounding speaker. There also might be speakers which sound brighter and more detailed. But the questions is if the latter ones will guide you to better results? After testing the 8C I can probably answer the this question with NO. In my "real world" experience (I´m not a technician, just a studio guy and producer) there are a lot of studio monitors which perhaps produce a sort of "pseudo clarity", which I guess is nothing else as distortion and other bad things. And this can give you just the illusion of more detail and "honesty", but in most cases wouldn´t help you to get better translated mixes/masters. I think a few brands are already well known for that, and I personally have no need for more "brutally honest" ear fatigue. To my ears, the 8C`s just have the right amount of detail and clarity. Shaping the high end with them is a breeze and you will be rarely over the top. And what I also have noticed, I make less tweaks on program material with them, but the tweaks I make are more on point (as with any of my previous monitors), and that´s how it should be.
So if you are in the market for new studio monitors, I recommend to check the 8C´s out. They´re defenitely in the top league of high end monitors. Subwoofers aren´t necessary in my room as they go down to almost 20 Hz.
I´m relatively confident that they will now stay for a longer time with me, time will tell..

Before I purchased the 8C I considered other options as well. I heard the Amphion Two18/Base25 system in a different mastering studio and was impressed, this maybe was one of the closest competitors in that price range. Unfortunately, I wasn´t able to arrange a demo with a local distributor. But I think that I would prefer the 8C sound and flexibility over the Amphions. In my opinion the 8C offers a more coherent "big picture" which I personally would prefer over the slightly "chirurgical" sound of the Amphions (for mastering purpose).
By the way, it would be cool to load some Audiovero Acourate filters into the 8C. I talked briefly with Martijn about that and he told me that this could be perhaps possible. The included parametric EQ is good and invisible enough for me, but would be fun to play with that option..

Disclaimer: I have no business connection to D&D other than the purchase of the 8C. I also did not get a special price from KMR Audio to say a few positive words about them. Last but not least, speaker preferences are highly subjective and room dependent. So do not fall for any hype, and take all the raving reviews always with a grain of salt. The question is wether a speaker is working (translating) for you in your enviroment. And there are several options which could work, not only the 8C. Just my 2 cents.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Mixing/mastering engineer based in Germany.
Keith

andrew

Courtesy of Gearslutz
By the way, it would be cool to load some Audiovero Acourate filters into the 8C. I talked briefly with Martijn about that and he told me that this could be perhaps possible. The included parametric EQ is good and invisible enough for me, but would be fun to play with that option...
It might not work in your setup but I’m planning on using Acourate filters for overall speaker correction once the Roon endpoint is enabled

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
From Gearslutz this morning,
D&D in the house....MY GOD!!!! Amazing lowend, so tight and punchy. Phantom center is crazy...so much depth. Never heard anything like that before. My trusty Genelec 8260A are for sale
smile.gif

I had a pair of 8260a’s ( three way coaxial ) they were pretty good,
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
See Mitch Barnett’s recent review of the 8C, they are truly stunnning loudspeakers.
Keith

Top Bottom