• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please tell me a good compact class D amplifier (+ DAC, 2 in 1) for bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer (2.1 sound)

landco

Hey. Something like this, in the photo Denon DRA-F109 2012, only more modern.

8Sxog3U.jpg

Denon - high price, and smsl and topping I do not cause confidence :-(

What else is on sale, tell me, please? Important - built-in DAC, output to an active subwoofer, good signal-to-noise ratio, so that the dead silence in the speakers was

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL AD18 is fine for me, and doesn't produce hiss in my speakers.

BillG

Major Contributor
Since you didn't specify a price, I'll just assume you don't want to spend much. With that in mind, I'd look something integrated and ICEpower based in the ~$500USD range. There are a number of manufacturers that make them:

Teac
Yamaha
SMSL
PS Audio

coolbuzz05

Yes, it is, honestly i can't reveal for what price but i bought that brand new for less than 2/3 of stated price. Just try asking for a good price. Sometimes you get it.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
expensive
You really should specify a price range to avoid wasting peoples' time.

Also, by specifying "modern" are you excluding consideration of used units?

Alternatives for better pricing are reconditioned/refurbished, Amazon "1-day sales", etc. But I don't recommend those categories for truly cheap electronics - even from respected companies like Topping - unless you live in the U.S. or similar locations where returns/exchanges are easy, cheap and fast.

For me, living as an expat in Panama, and relying on package forwarding to and from Florida, such purchases - like my two dead Topping PA3's - are "throw-aways"

My "backup DAC/AMP - a $115 SMSL Q5 Pro - has a subwoofer out. But the crossover is apparently fixed at 200Hz - too high for most people, and in the range of easily detected directionality.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he is worse than Denon from the headline
otherwise why does it come with such a huge discount? probably something unclean

Have a look at the measurements in the link I posted. Basically, the amplifier measures better than anything else in its price range, but not so the DA converter.

PS. FWIW, I think it would be a mistake to assume there is necessarily a relationship between price and performance in the world of home audio.

OP
L

landco

Have a look at the measurements in the link I posted. Basically, the amplifier measures better than anything else in its price range, but not so the DA converter.
I am confused by complaints from Amazon on the poor quality of the product assembly, materials .... this means that in sound it is not a quality device

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am confused by complaints from Amazon on the poor quality of the product assembly, materials .... this means that in sound it is not a quality device

No it doesn't. The measurements show that the amplifier is a quality device in terms of sound.

However, I can understand why you would be hesitant given complaints about reliability.

BillG

Major Contributor
so I’m afraid to buy Chinese amplifiers :(
price category - up to 500 dollars...

A number of them are trustworthy. SMSL and Topping for example, and I.AM.D as is well but relatively unknown comparatively - they make an interesting, but not particularly attractive, little integrated amplifier named the V200 in both Bluetooth and WiFi models for streaming. I owned the V200BT for a while and was happy with it:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/I-A...-150W-2-CM6631A-24Bit-192KHz/32594479261.html

P. S. I'm not recommending it over something ICEpower based, for relatively inexpensive amps those would be the better performing, but just putting it up there in case you might be interested... :cool:

Top Bottom