• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please suggest me monitors for guitar playing and music listening

Delvi

I need a pair of monitors for playing guitar (alone, along backing tracks, recording) and for listening to music (mainly rock).
I have a small untreated room and planning to have the monitors on stands about 3-4 feets from my ears.
I use Motu M2 as audio interface and make guitar tones with UA Woodrow. The budget is up to 1000$. I would prefere to spend much less (300-400 $) if I can still have some good results.

Would like to have your advice and suggestions for my specific use. Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
D

Delvi

I forgot to say, at the time I'm considering:

- Genelec 8020d
- Neumann HK-80
- Adam v5t
- Adam a5x
- Krk RP5 Rokit G4
- Focus Alpha 50 Evo (but I'm very skeptical after I watched that video comparison speaking about the huge issue at 3k Hz)

Please feel free to suggest me also other monitors. The most important thing for me is to understand how they will perform for playing guitars, since I will use them mainly for practice, songwriting and recording guitars.

LouB

I think your room & where your desk is won't really matter if you get a decent pair of monitors for under 500 bucks. Not clear on the playing guitar part ? Monitors will not "color" the sound at all. If your playing acoustic guitar using a mic going into the Motu you will get a really great sound. If your hammering out thrash metal/power chords and looking for a big distorted sound like a 100 watt Marshall stack or a Jimi Hendrix type sound it's all dependent on your modeling software not the speaker.
How about these,

OP
D

Delvi

I think your room & where your desk is won't really matter if you get a decent pair of monitors for under 500 bucks. Not clear on the playing guitar part ? Monitors will not "color" the sound at all. If your playing acoustic guitar using a mic going into the Motu you will get a really great sound. If your hammering out thrash metal/power chords and looking for a big distorted sound like a 100 watt Marshall stack or a Jimi Hendrix type sound it's all dependent on your modeling software not the speaker.
How about these,

I will play guitar with an amp modeler with IR.

TimW

Major Contributor
The Neuman and Genelec options you listed are the best as far as tonal neutrality and are generally great speakers. However they are both very small speakers with only 4" woofers which limits output capability and bass extension. In your small room with fairly short listening distance they probably have enough output. Also for guitar they probably have enough bass extension. However if you ever want to use them in a larger space with further listening distance, or want to listen to music with deep bass, a larger speaker would suite your needs better. The various Kali studio monitors would all come in under your budget, they don't posses the same level of refinement as Genelec and Neuman but offer exceptional value. I would take a look at their IN-5 and IN-8 models.

Top Bottom