• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please recommend headphones that you wear for watching a movie at home

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had HD598 and they are the most comfortable headphones ever for me. They were greta for movie because of comfort and big soundstage. I sold them and now I regret it because I can't find anything else for movies.

Currenty I use HD600 but the clamping force is there and no sound stage. They are better for music than HD598 but not for movies.

I was thinking of HD560s but I realize the sound is bright? I want smooth non fatiguing sound for movies
Well.....

1639090711996.png

560S

1639090810321.png

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
580 Jubilee! How do they compare the 598? Though I do like my Bass for movies so I may use a closed set like the SRH840.

OP
momo7G

momo7G

Some kilobuck headphones suggestions, it's good to see the forum members doing so well.

I should throw in more info for the recommendation, I have a pair of sony 7506, but they are not very comfy to wear for long hours

I find myself adjusting the sony every 20 minutes, as they cannot hold their position on my head.

I locate in Australia, currently hd560s is out of stock. Looking to spend around the cost of hd560s. Which is about 300 Aud, of course lower is better.

I tried on AKG 361, again my head shape maybe a bit strange from the normal model, they kind of not sit on my head well.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
in Australia, currently hd560s is out of stock.
I have the HD 598SR. I wore these headphones for extended listening periods. I can easily say that they are very comfortable, don't squeak, the cable is not microphonic in any way and they respond to EQ/PEQ very well. I've used them to complete several FPS games and have experienced some pretty good imaging. If you can hold out for the HD560S at the least you'll know you are getting something that works and has a great cable.

Limaaa

580 Jubilee! How do they compare the 598? Though I do like my Bass for movies so I may use a closed set like the SRH840.
They are better for music but for movies i like HD598 more. More comfortable and bigger soundstage. HD58X has better bas if that's youre after

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is bizarre is I can wear the Bose QC35 with no trouble but I think they have a smaller inner oval than the Senns.

They're larger and deeper where it matters (your ear isn't front to back symmetrical :D), and the inner oval at the rear, where your ear lobes are actually going to be, is larger than the entry point (the pads recess). One of the greatest internal cup designs of all times IMO (and I still can't figure out why a nearly two decades old internal cup / pad design approach still hasn't been properly copied by every other portable closed back manufacturer).

One thing that I don't like with most ANC headphones for movie watching however is the ANC noise in the background which most of the time can be audible in quieter passages, more so than your typical music track. The only ANC headphones I've tried I don't mind too much in that regard are the AirPods and H910N.

Last edited:

Paolo

They are better for music but for movies i like HD598 more. More comfortable and bigger soundstage. HD58X has better bas if that's youre after
The HD560s are an improvement over the previous HD5 series, from the audio quality point of view.
I like them for movies more than other, more open sounding headphones, with the HD560s you have the impressione of a very precise soundstage and clear vocals, you also feel a nice amount of air pressure with basses…
Same comfort as always, maybe more clamping force, but if you have experience with the series, you will know it's just a matter of time before the headphones adapt to your shape. I have almost all HD5something models, if you are willing to stay within this range look no further.

NewCoke

AKG N700NC M2 are Harman tuned BT headphones with Foster drivers that go for $100 or so on eBay. One of the best kept secrets.

Top Bottom