• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please Recommend Actice Speaker for near field listening (desktop)

marses

Hi all.
Most of the active bookshelf recommended by Amir, list on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-recommendations-for-usa-by-sweetchaos.28269/ either too big (5 inch) and inconvinient (no volume control).

I was thinking audioengine a5+ https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../audioengine-a5-powered-speaker-review.13803/, though wondering if there's better option.

Currently I have topping e50 (dac mode) connected to jds the element 1 for my headphone. I would like to utilize that dac for the speaker (Current speaker eris 4.5). I dont want to use the dac as preamp since I dont want to change the config for my headphone.

Edited2.

Let me rephrase, I don't mean to exclude audioengine a5. Right now I already have klipsch r15pm, but it's humming and dont think it's good for nearfield. Reading reviews from other place people always make the comparison between a5 and r15pm. But after discovering this site seems A5... "good".

So also implicitly, im trying to validate if it's a good idea to get a5 (is it a step up from r15pm) or it's there any other options.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Why not connect the studio monitors to JDS Element 1? Use Topping e50 in dac mode of course. Then, switch the inputs of the JDS when you’re using speakers or headphones.
You’ll control the volume using the JDS for both speakers or headphones.

Check out IK Multimedia MTM.

OP
M

marses

@sweetchaos thats something to think off. But that means my speaker choice would be limited to RCA inputs, correct?

Edited. Mine was first generation jds element I. So only 1 rca both for input and output. Hence, it's used because that's where I connect the DAC to.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out no reviews yet but interesting FYI

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sweetchaos thats something to think off. But that means my speaker choice would be limited to RCA inputs, correct?

Edited. Mine was first generation jds element I. So only 1 rca both for input and output. Hence, it's used because that's where I connect the DAC to.
Why would rca inputs be a particular issue?

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tried to find a 4 inch for my desktop before settling on a 5 inch (I just had to make space) because I though there was so much difference to the two listening nearfield. I just really appreciated the extra the 5 inch brought to my experience.

In 4 inch I looked at the smaller Genelecs (8010, 8020) the Focal shape 40, the Neuman KH80 and the Adam A4V. If you put a sub with these you would probably get a pretty similar experience. I made my decision before thinking about adding a sub :facepalm:

The AudioEngines are nice as well but I thought the ones above gave a better performance if you are matching to a good source and Topping type equipment.

OP
M

marses

Why would rca inputs be a particular issue?
No reason. I mean:
1. Limited to speakers with RCA input. For speaker with balance, then you gotta use converter right?
2. I think this no longer an option, my rca jack on jds element is occupied with input from e50. First generation, just 1 pair of RCA for both input and out put :(.

OP
M

marses

I tried to find a 4 inch for my desktop before settling on a 5 inch (I just had to make space) because I though there was so much difference to the two listening nearfield. I just really appreciated the extra the 5 inch brought to my experience.

In 4 inch I looked at the smaller Genelecs (8010, 8020) the Focal shape 40, the Neuman KH80 and the Adam A4V. If you put a sub with these you would probably get a pretty similar experience. I made my decision before thinking about adding a sub :facepalm:

The AudioEngines are nice as well but I thought the ones above gave a better performance if you are matching to a good source and Topping type equipment.
So want kh80. But.. volume control is so inconvinient. I know they have a control app, but it's just for IOS >.>. Im using android.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason. I mean:
1. Limited to speakers with RCA input. For speaker with balance, then you gotta use converter right?
2. I think this no longer an option, my rca jack on jds element is occupied with input from e50. First generation, just 1 pair of RCA for both input and out put :(.
You can always convert, I simply built rca to xlr cables for my active speakers that have balanced inputs only.

OP
M

marses

You can always convert, I simply built rca to xlr cables for my active speakers that have balanced inputs only.
Dang. DIY territory. :p I dont know Im up for it. But Ill take note on that part. Thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang. DIY territory. :p I dont know Im up for it. But Ill take note on that part. Thanks
LOL not that hard :) I do have a soldering setup, tho some can be done mechanically. Bonus, you can customize length. Don't overthink it, tho.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So want kh80. But.. volume control is so inconvinient. I know they have a control app, but it's just for IOS >.>. Im using android.
The Neumann app is more meant to setup the speakers (for those not having MA1) not to control volume, but I never used it and went straight to the MA1 setup software (PC, Mac). Don’t you control the volume via your DAC or Streamer?

Don’t worry about RCA to XLR. You can buy converters at low cost, if you don’t feel like DIY.

I run KH80, KH750 using MA1 in my office - great. (Using these without MA1 would be pointless because that’s what the built in DSP is for, but keep in mind that you need an audio interface for MA1).

OP
M

marses

The Neumann app is more meant to setup the speakers (for those not having MA1) not to control volume, but I never used it and went straight to the MA1 setup software (PC, Mac). Don’t you control the volume via your DAC or Streamer?

Don’t worry about RCA to XLR. You can buy converters at low cost, if you don’t feel like DIY.

I run KH80, KH750 using MA1 in my office - great. (Using these without MA1 would be pointless because that’s what the built in DSP is for, but keep in mind that you need an audio interface for MA1).
Ah i see. I want to keep my dac to full dac mode.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
As a sugesstion. If you used two DACs you could set the volume through the PC independently. Switching outputs is easy via https://www.soundswitch.com/

Or just get a passive voilume controller for use between DAC and speakers

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah i see. I want to keep my dac to full dac mode.
Or sell the DAC and get an audio interface (you need one anyhow to take advantage of the KH80s DSP). Many audio interfaces have separate headphone and speaker volume control plus XLR out anyhow.

Just a thought.

OP
M

marses

Thank you all. I think I will get passive volume controller. And perhaps get genelec 8010A. At least that's what Im feeling now. Will sleep on it first LOL.

Recluse-Animator

For near field always use coaxial speakers.

Fluid Audio FX50 / FX80 / FPX7 / CX7
Kali IN-5 / IN-8
Presonus Sceptre S6 / S8
Kef LS50 Meta
APS Coax
KS Digital C5 / C8 / C88 / C120
Danley Studio 2
DMAX Audio Super Cube 5
Genelec

Speakers that are not coaxials, but acts like a point source;

ME Geithain
Reflector Audio

Voo

i use and like audio engine a2 w/12in sub. speakers disappear which is nice.

Top Bottom