• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

please recommand a set of device to listen natural sounds

LEIYINAUDIO

Hi, I like to listen to the recordings of natural sounds, such as the sounds of a forest, rain, rivers etc.., so I really need your help to give an advice about a set of device that gives me the sound that is the most close to the original sound of the recording. I don't want anything else to make the sound better or well-adjusted and I also don't have any preference to any type of music genre, i just want the sound to be exactly the same as the original way of it. Thanks a lot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I like to listen to the recordings of natural sounds, such as the sounds of a forest, rain, rivers etc.., so I really need your help to give an advice about a set of device that gives me the sound that is the most close to the original sound of the recording. I don't want anything else to make the sound better or well-adjusted and I also don't have any preference to any type of music genre, i just want the sound to be exactly the same as the original way of it. Thanks a lot.

Speakers or headphones? What format are your recordings in? Stored where? Played from where? (CD player, laptop etc)How big is your room and how far will you be from the speakers?

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

Speakers or headphones? What format are your recordings in? Stored where? Played from where? (CD player, laptop etc)How big is your room and how far will you be from the speakers?
a headphone, WAV or FLAC format, stored and played from my laptop or I will get a separate player if its necessary.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a headphone, WAV or FLAC format, stored and played from my laptop or I will get a separate player if its necessary.

The simplest solution would be to get a headphone that can run from your laptop's own headphone socket. Something easy to drive like the AKG K371 (which is a closed back so will block out external noise better too) would be fine. If you notice the headphone output from the laptop is noisy you can add one of the inexpensive but excellent dongle USB DAC/ headphone amps like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro or one of the Hidizs range . all reviewed on here.

If you want to tweak the sound settings. you can download and add things like Equalizer APO which allows you to tweak individual frequencies if you need more treble etc https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

The simplest solution would be to get a headphone that can run from your laptop's own headphone socket. Something easy to drive like the AKG K371 (which is a closed back so will block out external noise better too) would be fine. If you notice the headphone output from the laptop is noisy you can add one of the inexpensive but excellent dongle USB DAC/ headphone amps like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro or one of the Hidizs range . all reviewed on here.

If you want to tweak the sound settings. you can download and add things like Equalizer APO which allows you to tweak individual frequencies if you need more treble etc https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
is it because AKG K371's frequency response is very close to Harman target ? I thought Harman target is more about what is preferred by most people rather than the originality of the sounds. Or is it because of other reasons?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
is it because AKG K371's frequency response is very close to Harman target ? I thought Harman target is more about what is preferred by most people rather than the originality of the sounds. Or is it because of other reasons?
Now you're entering a world of pain. Read this thread.

In short, it aims to mimic the feel of good speakers in a good room which happens to suit the majority of listeners.

"neutral /natural" to you might not be to me. Hence me referring you to eq solutions to tweak.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphones-and-the-harman-target-curve.17914/

And I didn't recommend the akg due to proximity to Harman but because they perform objectively well and get good subjective comments for a very fair price

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

Now you're entering a world of pain. Read this thread.

In short, it aims to mimic the feel of good speakers in a good room which happens to suit the majority of listeners.

"neutral /natural" to you might not be to me. Hence me referring you to eq solutions to tweak.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphones-and-the-harman-target-curve.17914/

And I didn't recommend the akg due to proximity to Harman but because they perform objectively well and get good subjective comments for a very fair price
Thanks a lot! I'll keep doing my research on this one.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best sounding natural recorded sound to my ears

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
More because of your surroundings, you need one's which have a rather good isolation either closed back (which K371 is) or EMI's. If you can address environmental noise issues otherwise you don't have to stick to those. Harman is a preference curve and you can tune them from there to yours. Jimbob54 actually suggested you a rather budget friendly solution and not bad at all.
Best regards.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, it’s very important for sound to arrive at the correct time, otherwise the 'nature' would just sound like pink noise.

Just grab speakers with wide directivity (Philharmonic BMR maybe?) and use some room correction in the time domain (Dirac).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
about headphone targets:

for sounds recorded in nature I would try the traditional difuse field target.
harman without bass target will aproximate a flat speaker in a bass treated room
harman oficial target will aproximate a flat speaker in a normal living room

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hi, I like to listen to the recordings of natural sounds, such as the sounds of a forest, rain, rivers etc.., so I really need your help to give an advice about a set of device that gives me the sound that is the most close to the original sound of the recording.

I like the same sounds. We're lucky, we live in the forest and our birds and insects make for some lovely recordings. Also when the creeks get huge amounts of rain, the recordings are so convincing they truly are like being there.

I use a Tascam DR-05 LPCM recorder to record nature sounds and when played back on my AKG-702s, it's scary real.

Last edited:
OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

More because of your surroundings, you need one's which have a rather good isolation either closed back (which K371 is) or EMI's. If you can address environmental noise issues otherwise you don't have to stick to those. Harman is a preference curve and you can tune them from there to yours. Jimbob54 actually suggested you a rather budget friendly solution and not bad at all.
Best regards.
what if I want an open-back headphone? I can have a quiet room. Close-back headphones and IEMs just sound kind of stuffy to me.

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I would say go for "natural" ear plugs or set, and enjoy. This being budget for very good sound.

Next step will be "natural", a step in auditoriums, to compare quality loud speakers. This can be budget also considering a cheap but good pair will last for the next 20 years.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you need to concentrate perhaps more on the recording end of things rather than simply playback....or is it others' recordings you are listening to only? Preference and accuracy aren't necessarily the same thing.

Top Bottom