• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please provide advice....

rickyhgarcia

I have never owned a dedicated DAC. Except of what is inside my AV receiver and OPPO BluRay player, I have never dealt with a DAC before.

I have been reviving my old stereo pure analog components by sending them to their respective OEM´s for upgrades/repairs. My idea is to have a parallel analog stereo rig to my home theater rig. When I bought these high end pieces of equipment some 30 years ago, they sounded great, therefore, with up to date electronic components they can only sound better. So I have an Audio Research tube preamplifier, with only RCA inputs/outputs, as the heart of this stereo rig. The preamp is necessary so I can switch between a Rega Planar 3 turntable, an OPPO BDP-95 via its analog outputs, and an audio PC via dedicated DAC.

The advice I need is on the proper DAC to incorporate to this rig. Only the PC via USB cable will be hooked to the DAC for down streaming music/video and MP3 files. The OPPO has a good enough internal (audiophile DAC) so it is not necessary to connect it to the external DAC, maybe perhaps for A/B comparisons between the OPPO DAC and the external DAC, then decide how to listen to CD´s. I do not plan to connect headphones to this DAC, only speakers connected to my Moscode 300 amp. The DAC does not need to incorporate balanced outputs, since the preamp only accept RCA inputs.

I have been looking at the SINAD table published in this forum for clues, and would like a unit from the top tier. Price is a consideration, since DAC´s are mostly PC boards, would not want to go higher than $1000. It is quite a surprise how prices varies so much within the units in the top tier section of the table. I do not know what makes a unit with similar distortion measurements cost thousands more than others.

Thanks...

Zek

Major Contributor
The advice I need is on the proper DAC to incorporate to this rig. Only the PC via USB cable will be hooked to the DAC for down streaming music/video and MP3 files. The OPPO has a good enough internal (audiophile DAC)
You can connect PC to OPPO via USB if OPPO has USB-B digital in. (what OPPO model you have?)

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

Seems I am leaning for a Topping D50s with the Topping P50 linear power supply. Any idea how much better Topping’s own power supply would enhance the DAC?

Willem

Major Contributor
How about a JDS LAB OL DAC? $100 for just usb, or a bit more for also optical in (which is what I would do so you can later add a Chromecast Audio or Sonos Connect with their optical digital outputs as well. Sonically I don't think it gets any better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom