• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help with headphones "Balanced Cables"

SK123

So I ended up buying an amp with two 1/4" audio jacks for headphones balanced connection.

I have standard cables for HD6xx and K712 pro with the 1/8" jack plus 1/4" adapter. Kindly advice if there are separate "balanced cables" which I would need to buy separately for these two HP's, or would I just need a single adapter that would be 1/4 or 1/8 female and two 1/4 males?

I keep reading that HP cables need being XLR and the adapter is also xlr to twin 1/4 or something like that..

Thank you for your help!

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure those aren't just two outputs for two sets of headphones? I have never seen a balanced connection done like that.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I ended up buying an amp with two 1/4" audio jacks for headphones balanced connection.
I have standard cables for HD6xx and K712 pro with the 1/8" jack plus 1/4" adapter. Kindly advice if there are separate "balanced cables" which I would need to buy separately for these two HP's, or would I just need a single adapter that would be 1/4 or 1/8 female and two 1/4 males?
I keep reading that HP cables need being XLR and the adapter is also xlr to twin 1/4 or something like that..
Thank you for your help!
Need to replace the HD6XX standard cable with a balanced cable, adapter would not work.
Ebay, lots of balanced cables, HD600/HD650/HD6XX/HD58X would use the same balanced cable.
What is the make and model of the amplifier you bought?

mugbot

Forum Donor
That is a very strange arrangement on an amp for balanced, can you provide the make/model or a photo?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

Thank you for your help!
This is the needed adapter.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its the ADI 2 Pro I have guys.

So two different cables I will need to purchase now, one for HD6xx and another for K712. So the end of the new cables is supposed to be 4 pin xlr?
Yea, would need balanced headphone cables, designed for use with each of your headphones, with XLR connection, to connect to the adapter Patrick 1985 listed.
Or just pass on doing a balanced connection.
Just checked, it looks like the K712 is not designed for working with a balanced cable anyway.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Just checked, it looks like the K712 is not designed for working with a balanced cable anyway.
In stock form you are correct. However Customcans (ebay) lokated in Britain can mod the K712 to work in balanced mode. Don't know price(s).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure those aren't just two outputs for two sets of headphones? I have never seen a balanced connection done like that.
The rme adi PRO does just that. Dual sockets that can be set to stereo or dual mono.

If it's that connection then OP can buy /make an appropriate dual TRS to xlr etc adapter to use with his existing cable.

But like you say, what amp?

OP
S

SK123

Alright, thank you guys for your help. Will just get the hd6xx bal cable for now and the adapter.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, thank you guys for your help. Will just get the hd6xx bal cable for now and the adapter.

I will give you a hint. You shouldnt need balanced cables for either of those cans with the RME Pro. More than enough juice to run them from one of the 1/4 inch sockets single ended stereo.

Top Bottom