• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help with AVR/Prepro upgrade. Too many decisions and can't stay focused

Tdawgg

My first post so sorry in advance if this is a mess. My setup is basic so this should be easy. I currently have a good working Denon 4311ci, Klipsch RF 7 II, RC 64 II, RS 62 II, and 2 SVS PC 12 Plus. I use the system 90% for live concert DVD/Blu-Ray and at 60 years old I still love it very loud. I do watch some movies and listen to my SACDs when I have a chance as well. I do stream some Netflix and whatever else as well. TV is a SONY XBR85 950h. Budget is 3k to replace my 4311ci and I have an Emotiva XPA 5 gen 1 with little to no hours on it just sitting around. So do I just replace the 4311with another AVR?? or should I look at a Prepro to go with the emotiva. Im looking at the x6700h and selling the Emotiva or maybe the new Integra....too many options my head is spinning. Your thoughts???

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Welcome!

What is it that makes you want to upgrade?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the 4311 doesn't get loud enough? With relatively sensitive speakers like that they should be able to get fairly loud with the 4311 alone, but why not just use the power amp, your 4311 has a full set of pre-outs for that purpose. What distance are you from the speakers? What kind of spl levels are you listening at/want to get to? Do you need the avr/pre-pro to do something the 4311 isn't doing? Might play around with this, too http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

OP
T

Tdawgg

Welcome!

What is it that makes you want to upgrade?
4K pass thru for my direct tv and 4k player as well as Earc from my Sony tv. I also am going to use the 4311 for my outdoor theater and don't want to have to unhook everything when we want to watch a movie outside

OP
T

Tdawgg

So the 4311 doesn't get loud enough? With relatively sensitive speakers like that they should be able to get fairly loud with the 4311 alone, but why not just use the power amp, your 4311 has a full set of pre-outs for that purpose. What distance are you from the speakers? What kind of spl levels are you listening at/want to get to? Do you need the avr/pre-pro to do something the 4311 isn't doing? Might play around with this, too http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html
Volume is not a problem. when the wife is gone and the boys (old men) are over drinking Bourbon and listening to The Who we will crest 100db. I know it's not good for the hearing but a little too late for that lol. I'm looking for something more updated with 4K pass thru for my direct tv / 4k player so I only have to run 1 hdmi to the tv as well as any new processing that may improve SQ (room correction)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volume is not a problem. when the wife is gone and the boys (old men) are over drinking Bourbon and listening to The Who we will crest 100db.
Hopefully you " won't get fooled again" :cool:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My first post so sorry in advance if this is a mess. My setup is basic so this should be easy. I currently have a good working Denon 4311ci, Klipsch RF 7 II, RC 64 II, RS 62 II, and 2 SVS PC 12 Plus. I use the system 90% for live concert DVD/Blu-Ray and at 60 years old I still love it very loud. I do watch some movies and listen to my SACDs when I have a chance as well. I do stream some Netflix and whatever else as well. TV is a SONY XBR85 950h. Budget is 3k to replace my 4311ci and I have an Emotiva XPA 5 gen 1 with little to no hours on it just sitting around. So do I just replace the 4311with another AVR?? or should I look at a Prepro to go with the emotiva. Im looking at the x6700h and selling the Emotiva or maybe the new Integra....too many options my head is spinning. Your thoughts???

The go-to solution around here is whichever Denon AVR has the features you need. With internal amps disconnected, they outperform nearly all prepros. Use external amplification or mix and match internal with external to match your situation. The 6700 is a great choice. I get by with the 4700 for my needs, but would rather have the 6700, of course.

Easy!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4K pass thru for my direct tv and 4k player as well as Earc from my Sony tv. I also am going to use the 4311 for my outdoor theater and don't want to have to unhook everything when we want to watch a movie outside

Speakers/layout? I'd probably look to the 4700 if its sufficient for you generally, and use your external amp....

OP
T

Tdawgg

The go-to solution around here is whichever Denon AVR has the features you need. With internal amps disconnected, they outperform nearly all prepros. Use external amplification or mix and match internal with external to match your situation. The 6700 is a great choice. I get by with the 4700 for my needs, but would rather have the 6700, of course.

Easy!
I think your spot on. I was looking to try something different after using Denon for the last 40+ years but as they say if it's not broke don't fix it lol. The 6700 is just a much newer model of the 4311 so it's a pretty natural fit for me. I guess the emotiva will stay and partner up with a 6700 but I may still consider the 4700. Thanks for bringing things into focus lol.

OP
T

Tdawgg

Speakers/layout? I'd probably look to the 4700 if its sufficient for you generally, and use your external amp....
Standard 5.2 layout. RF 7II fronts, RC 64 II center, RC 62 rear surrounds and 2 subs. Room is 19 x 18 and I sit about 11 ft from 85inch tv. I think your right the 4700 is a viable option so its down to the 4700 or the 6700....deals are starting to come down.

Top Bottom