• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please Help Solve HDMI Handshake Issue

Mitch16

Ok, so I'm pretty frustrated right now. I have an LG CX as TV and Denon x4700h as AVR connected through the ARC / eARC output on Denon to the ARC / eARC input on the LG. I am using a Zeskit 8k UHD 48 Gpbs HDMI cable to connect. I also have a PS4 pro and a Comcast X1 cable box connected to the AVR. When I set the system up, it ended up where the cable remote or the LG tv remote will both turn everything on through the power button. So I typically turn on through the cable box remote. What is happening is that everything turns on and I have audio immediately playing the tv cable sounds, but no picture. If I then walk back to the Denon and unplug the HDMI cable and then immediately plug it back in, the picture works right away and all is good. The problem is that is awful. If I hook up the HDMI cable directly to the non-EARC 4k output for monitor 1, I have no issues at all with the picture coming right on.

Is there some setting on the Denon or the LG that I can adjust to fix this issue? It is driving me crazy because I want to use the eARC input/output ports to ensure I am getting the best audio whether streaming, blu ray, etc. I don't think it is the HDMI cable since as soon as I plug it back in, everything works fine.

Anyone else know a solution to this issue?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a better universal remote with ability to time the on/off of each unit. I had to do something like that with early ARC to avoid HDMI CEC issues. After a while I just gave up on ARC altogether as I didn't need the tv to source anything and thus no need for ARC or HDMI-CEC. If you manually turn on the display first then back thru the chain to the source do you still have an issue?

OP
M

Mitch16

Perhaps a better universal remote with ability to time the on/off of each unit. I had to do something like that with early ARC to avoid HDMI CEC issues. After a while I just gave up on ARC altogether as I didn't need the tv to source anything and thus no need for ARC or HDMI-CEC. If you manually turn on the display first then back thru the chain to the source do you still have an issue?

I have to admit I haven't read up too much to date on ARC / HDMI-CEC. My plan was to have all of my components connected directly to the Denon AVR and then just have the single HDMI out to the TV. I have a 7.2.4 setup and wanting to be able to enjoy lossless audio and Dolby Atmos. Your comment about not needing the TV to source anything struck me - if I am running everything to the Denon first, does ARC / eARC even matter for me? I was just wanting to make sure I was using the right port for 4k video and lossless audio.

Denon has 3 HDMI outs - 4k Zone 2 (don't want that), Monitor 1 ARC/eARC, and Monitor 2; LG has 1 ARC/eARC input and then other 4k inputs. The one area I thought of where I may need it is if I am streaming Atmos content through an app on the TV - the only way I would get that is through the ARC ports right?

I will try to do the manual startup and also look into my settings some more.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit I haven't read up too much to date on ARC / HDMI-CEC. My plan was to have all of my components connected directly to the Denon AVR and then just have the single HDMI out to the TV. I have a 7.2.4 setup and wanting to be able to enjoy lossless audio and Dolby Atmos. Your comment about not needing the TV to source anything struck me - if I am running everything to the Denon first, does ARC / eARC even matter for me? I was just wanting to make sure I was using the right port for 4k video and lossless audio.

Denon has 3 HDMI outs - 4k Zone 2 (don't want that), Monitor 1 ARC/eARC, and Monitor 2; LG has 1 ARC/eARC input and then other 4k inputs. The one area I thought of where I may need it is if I am streaming Atmos content through an app on the TV - the only way I would get that is through the ARC ports right?

I will try to do the manual startup and also look into my settings some more.

No, if you're not sourcing anything from the tv ARC is meaningless, it's simply a way to use the same hdmi cable to return audio to the avr from the tv (audio return channel-arc). Early on I used some smart tv apps, that's when I was using it but then streaming devices came along that were much more versatile....

Top Bottom