• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help! Schiit Modi 2 not being recognized anymore by Windows?

LilSilverBullet

I was just trying to say that is a curious phenomenon. Makes me wonder, what the heck?
Ah. I see. Yeah. probably bad soldering joints or defective chip like others have mentioned. If Schiit offers out-of-warranty repair and the cost + shipping is not too much I might do it. If it is too much, just get another brand I guess.

furry_marmot

My Modi3 is 2.5 years old and stopped being recognized by my PC a couple of weeks ago. Schiit were polite and professional but couldn't suggest anything beyond sending them the DAC (on the other side of the planet) for repair at my own expense., which wouldn't have made sense for me financially.

I didn't see this thread at the time, but immediately bought a Topping D10s locally. I figured that if only the USB receiver had failed then the spdif inputs should still work and I could test this with the D10s' digital output. And if the whole thing had died, then I had a ready-made replacement.

Sure enough, little Modi3 works perfectly when fed through an optic fiber. To my uncontrolled, subjective ears - and with absolutely no quantitative evidence in support of this opinion - Modi3 sounds marginally nicer than the D10s, so I've ordered a Sky Song USB-SPDIF converter and will use the Topping in another system.

Regarding the source of this seemingly common problem: my guess is a systematic defect in the chip. It sounds like the hairdryer treatment is thermally activating carriers in the channel of a bad transistor within some type of latching circuit, thus explaining why a single brief dose of heat is sufficient to fix the problem until the power is cut. But I haven't worked on silicon since I was an undergrad so am very happy to be corrected here.

warbosschoppa

Made an account to say I have had the same issues with my Jotunheim, I almost wasted money buying a new DAC card for it but now I just use a SPIDF to RCA from my PC to the amp. When I feel like spending more cash I'll get a new DAC. I will never ever buy another Schiit product.

Alexander154

My Schiit Eitr also just started doing this yesterday, heating up the chip fixes it but only until its turned off and wont restart. I ordered a few replacement Cmedia CM6631A's to swap the bad one out, but has anyone had this issue appear again after they replaced the chip?

mr. salty

I have a Modi 3 that developed this problem after ~2.5 years. It failed intermittently at first but now consistently - on Windows, Mac, and I tried a Chromebook as well. So frustrating, I spent a lot of time trying to debug it and now it all makes sense.

I also had the xbox 360 RROD and *two* failed Onkyo receivers for similar issue. I guess I'll send it back to Schiit for repair, and/or maybe look at other options.

badproduct69

I bought the pair modi2 + magni after the "amazing reviews" you could read till few years ago... and I had the same problem after ~2.5 years. The modi 2 needed a lot of time to be recognized. I guess a lot of people have the same problem, but they don't write about and it's clearly a well-known production problem ignored by the company.
It had even distortion while increasing or decreasing the volume and the quality compared to an integrated audio is practically insignificant. Next time i will thrust my instinct avoiding any cheap product with "fancy" names.

Last edited:

mr. salty

yeah, I did contact support who quoted me $20-50 + shipping for the repair. which... I'd probably do it for the former but not the latter - especially without any assurance it wouldn't happen again. so, I used an old fiio e17 i had lying around instead.

Interested

Bought my Modi3 2½ years ago from Schiit Europe. Got the same symptoms as everybody else; the Modi 3 suddenly no longer could be recognized by my Linux pc's when connected by USB. Heating the unit with a hairdryer solves the connectivity issue temporarily. After a couple of email to Schiit Europe they finally said they did in fact not offer repairs. Are presently connecting it to my pc with s/pdif and Toslink cable, which is slightly irritating since I used the s/pdif port for my stand alone cd-player for those cd's I haven't ripped.

ioev

Been doing the heat gun trick for a few months now, but I was starting to notice problems with other USB devices on my PC (webcam would frequently malfunction and need to be restarted during meetings) so I disconnected the Modi and it seems like these problems have resolved.

I've been looking at the Modi+ which appears to use a completely different usb controller than the previous models (designed by Schiit themselves) so should be immune to the problems we're experiencing?

Top Bottom