• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me identify possible sources for this audio crackle (Yamaha NS-1000 speakers)

OP
T

TB2

@dualazmak sorry I should have been more specific when I said that I'll be "sourcing a replacement in Japan". I live in Japan part-time so I'll have no problem ordering one online and having it sent to my Japanese address. I'm in Okinawa (no, I have nothing to do with the Americans there).

In any case, thank you, I will check yahoo as well besides the other sites I mentioned!

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you are US based there's a guy in the Midwest who strips ns1000 for parts and sells the guts singly. He has a good rep for selling only on spec parts.
Who is that???
There is a guy named (on ebay)magicmarksy who is an ER physician who sometimes repairs them and even installs new voice coils.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I dont have his name saved unfortunately and can't see any of his listings currently. He has instant recognisable photos.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
T

TB2

I thought I'd give a quick update: I found a decent pair of apparently refurbished JA-0801. Installed the replacement; it sounds great. But doing another frequency sweep, I discovered that the woofer must be busted, too. It's much less noticeable than with the mid-range tweeter, but there's that same buzz at lower frequencies. I haven't looked inside, but it's probably another partially burnt coil, now that I recognize the symptom. Not sure how I didn't notice it before, but it is rather subtle.

In any case, I suppose I'll be sourcing a woofer, too... There are plenty of JA-3058A for the NS-1000M on page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp, but none for the NS-1000 (non-M). So all of them have a grille. I have some time, so I'll keep a look out for a good deal, maybe even a non-M. Otherwise I'll just fit a grilled one until I find a proper replacement.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
The woofers are notorious for loose magnets and sagging spiders. Flip the bass unit 180 degrees

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello again,

Last week, I found and auditioned two pairs of fully refurbished NS-1000 and several pairs of NS-1000M all with some warranties at Hard-Off Kichi-joji Audio Salon. The manager of the Salon said that their Audio Salon in Niigata City is the largest and most advanced shop for our needs.

Actually you may search at their web site Hard-Off Mall for NS-1000, NS-1000M and also SP-drivers thereof.

spiral scratch

when you're reinstalling the tweeters it might be worth your while to install some fuses in their signal wires to prevent this from happening again. It's worth doing to the mids as well.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when you're reinstalling the tweeters it might be worth your while to install some fuses in their signal wires to prevent this from happening again. It's worth doing to the mids as well.

What do you mean by "fuses" for SP drivers?

I use protection capacitors for midranges, tweeters, super-tweeters in my multichannel setup, where each of the SP drivers is dilectly/dedicatedly driven my amplifier eliminating LCR-network; You would please find my latest setup here and here.

This post would be also of your reference.

Top Bottom