• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me get good bass with LS50 WII + KC62

Willem

Major Contributor
The advantage of subs is that they can go deeper than just about any main speaker, and that they can be located for best result, and that is mostly not where you get the best result from your main speakers. The bad news is that integrating them with the main speakers involves some work/measurement, although in my experience this is not that hard. The other bad news is that you have to deal with room modes, particularly in smaller rooms. You have to do that with main speakers as well, but a bit less so since those do not normally go as low.
In my experience introducing some form of dsp room eq is inevitable, unless you use small main speakers in a relatively large room. The bad news is that most people already have their electronics, and including room eq into the chain is not necessarily cheap or easy. However, it certainly is far more useful than worrying about the sonic signature of amplifiers or cables. It is quite sad that no AVR is sold without subwoofer connectivity and some room eq, but that stereo electronics rarely have anything, or even easy connections for it.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is quite sad that no AVR is sold without subwoofer connectivity and some room eq, but that stereo electronics rarely have anything, or even easy connections for it.

If you need those features just get an AVR. The people that believe that decent AVR sounds worse than stereo amplifier are probably not that interested in subs or EQ anyways.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you need those features just get an AVR. The people that believe that decent AVR sounds worse than stereo amplifier are probably not that interested in subs or EQ anyways.

Exactly and I personally prefer to get a receiver with more amplification channels than I use because most of them crap out with all channels driven anyway. If you buy a 5 channel receiver and only use 2 channels, it should have plenty of power and have the crossovers you need. I only use 5 channels but I always buy a 7 channel receiver for the same reason.

raindance

Major Contributor
Set your crossover correctly and let us know how it sounds. High pass and low pass should be the same freq to start with. I'd suggest 80-120Hz, somewhere in that range.

Don't make the common mistake of running the sub way too loud. Try a sweep or some warble tones to assess balance between frequencies around the crossover (although measurement is a way better method).

A subwoofer doesn't add punch, just low frequency extension. Punch is mid and upper bass, normally it takes a large driver or a very close seat to get that.

Top Bottom