• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me decide what amps to buy

elmoe420

The time has come and I'm going separates (Lyngdorf processor). Now I need y'all to help me pick out my amplifiers.

Initially I will only need 4 channels of amplification and my budget is ~5k USD. We sit about 10-11 feet back from the fronts and I like to be able to listen at reference when I'm by myself (rarely heh). The fronts are Dali Rubicon 6s (specs say: 4 ohm, 88.5 dB sens, 40-200w) and the surrounds are Dali Rubicon LCRs (specs say: 4 ohm, 89 dB sens, 20-150w). I could easily see myself adding a center channel in the not distant future (e.g. Rubicon Vokal), but atmos is unlikely.

The amp(s) will not be racked but rather displayed on a shelf. Shelf space is a bit of a premium so I'm looking for smaller form factor, ideally all 4 channels of amplification fitting under 16 in width x 14 in depth x 12 in height.

I had been primarily eyeing the Apollon Audio Purifi amps but I've heard the wait time is now up to August and I'm also in the US to boot (builder is in Slovenia). VTV and Buckeye seem like the only options in US but I was a bit turned off by some negative reviews on build quality for VTV. I am also not sure what to make of the ASR reviews on VTVs with the different input buffers which seems to only hurt quality.

I want good build quality, small form factor and clean sound. Also open to non-Purifi routes. I do really like the low heat and silence of class D but maybe I'm out of touch with the latest and greatest class AB. My dealer buddy of course is very negative on class D and so I could demo some Naims, Hegels etc. if people have particular favorites to recommend.

Thanks in advance, help me burn 5k$ on some amps!!

steve59

Major Contributor
naim and hegels are going to be out of your budget though it would be beneficial to try and home demo some a/b amps so you know for yourself if you’re speakers are sensitive to source

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

naim and hegels are going to be out of your budget though it would be beneficial to try and home demo some a/b amps so you know for yourself if you’re speakers are sensitive to source

Thanks I haven't really priced much outside the various Purifi or Hypex options.

I can go above the 5k$ budget, it's not fixed if I really fell in love with something. Any class AB recommendations to home demo?

steve59

Major Contributor
why not call a couple dali dealers and ask them what they like. The rubicon line is very nice , congrats.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any class AB recommendations to home demo?
I may be biased but check out Anthem audio. Great product and company to boot, will last a lifetime. All the power you need, while being clean.
MCA525, list price I believe is $3600, but you should be able to find a dealer to get it down to around $3k.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
It's a bit over budget but McIntosh makes a nice 4 channel amp with NC500 modules.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Checking with the online calculator 200 watts per channel should get you what you want. Good Luck. Let us know what you end up getting.

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

I may be biased but check out Anthem audio. Great product and company to boot, will last a lifetime. All the power you need, while being clean.
MCA525, list price I believe is $3600, but you should be able to find a dealer to get it down to around $3k.

Nice specs but too big depth wise. Looking for a smaller form factor as this will be displayed on a shelf not racked. Thinking something like a stack of two stereo amps. I'll check out the size on Anthem's other amps though, thanks for the recommendation!

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

It's a bit over budget but McIntosh makes a nice 4 channel amp with NC500 modules.

Always loved the look of those McIntosh amps, beautiful! Love those classic meters. Unfortunately hard to fit in my space due to depth though. Also a bit pricey compared to other options with the same NC500 modules. Thanks for the recommendation!

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

Anyone have thoughts on a stack of 2 March Audio P422s? Love the look of the chassis and small form factor. The older model seems to have done well in reviews.

Slayer

Nice specs but too big depth wise.
After i saw your reply, I had to check what size fits your needs, then I looked at the Anthem spec sheet. It would apear there is a misprint. So i measured.
Actual size is 17'' width X 12'' depth X 7 1/2'' height

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

After i saw your reply, I had to check what size fits your needs, then I looked at the Anthem spec sheet. It would apear there is a misprint. So i measured.
Actual size is 17'' width X 12'' depth X 7 1/2'' height

Appreciate you checking. That's a big difference, the website says 18 1/8 in depth. You have the gen 2 MCA 525?

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Anyone have thoughts on a stack of 2 March Audio P422s? Love the look of the chassis and small form factor. The older model seems to have done well in reviews.
March tested pretty well here.

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

Just go the GD route and buy all Macintosh. The boys loved those amps.

Happy hunting.

They sure did!! If I had more space I would but unfortunately trying to work this into existing furniture (some wood mid century modern shelf the wife loves). If I had a dedicated room where I could properly house this I'd love to watch those meters bounce all day long. :D

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

March tested pretty well here.

Yeah reading that thread is what just turned me on to the March Audio option.

I do get a bit nervous though when Amir reviews one config but then they change stuff around like the input buffers or power supply and then I wonder if it will measure as good as that old review. I was surprised at the variance on the different VTV configs tested.

Slayer

Appreciate you checking. That's a big difference, the website says 18 1/8 in depth. You have the gen 2 MCA 525?
A 225 and a 325, they all use the same case. You can verify that with Anthem.

OP
elmoe420

elmoe420

DWPress

Forum Donor
I know it's not going to impress anyone with bling but a 4ch NC502 Buckeye will definitely satisfy your needs.

Top Bottom