• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me choose a dac

spartangalo

Hi, good morning, I'm interested in buying a dac to use with some AT msr7b, my budget is 150 dollars maximum. What I'm looking for is the purest sound possible. If anyone can help me by giving me the 3 best dac's for that price I would be very grateful. I listen to the music in this format AAC 256 kbit/s. Edit: I will need a DAC + AMP

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Do you already have a headphone amp? Or will you be needing the Amp function, as well as the DAC function?

We look at each - there are combo DAC/Amp devices. And separate DAC only, Amp only devices.

If you need the Amp as well, do you have a preference for a Combo, or Separates?

OP
S

spartangalo

Do you already have a headphone amp? Or will you be needing the Amp function, as well as the DAC function?

We look at each - there are combo DAC/Amp devices. And separate DAC only, Amp only devices.

If you need the Amp as well, do you have a preference for a Combo, or Separates?
Sorry, I will need the amp

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Is the budget $150 for both? Or is there a separate Amp budget?

OP
S

spartangalo

Is the budget $150 for both? Or is there a separate Amp budget?
Sorry I'm a newbie, the 150 would be so that the dac already comes with an amplifier, I have a fx audio x6 that I only have to connect to the current and the pc and it works, I need one that does not have to buy an amplifier separately

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Can you advise why the fx audio x6 DAC/Amp is not satisfactory and thus why you wish to replace it?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Ok.. Great!

Before replacing your fx audio x6, may I make 2 suggestions?

Here is some info on the msr7/b you may not have read:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-msr7/

It appears there are fakes sold. Even if it is genuine, it just might not be to your taste. So, can you audition some other headphones using your current source and the fx audio? Perhaps see if you can listen to an open back, such as a HiFiman HE400i or similar?

Generally, in the string of components involved in headphone systems, the mechanical transducers', the headphones, will be 'the weak link'. Or perhaps better said - the device with the most possible 'deviations'. The DAC is usually one of the components having the least 'deviations'. You will find members here arguing that a $9 Apple dongle can be more accurate than a certain $5,000 DAC. Likewise, unless you are listening at ear-splitting volume, the Amp portion, unless it is unusually poor, is also usually not a severely limiting factor.

Next, try changing the source. Perhaps from the PC to your phones 3.5mm audio jack, or with an OTG cable, the Fx audio USB in. Or from your TV toslink out. Try different music sources - perhaps a 'lossless' one on a free trial.

Lastly, try plugging your msr7 into some other headphones source, your AVR, your stereo, your phone, even your TV 3.5mm. If it sounds better, you may actually have a defective fx audio.

I mention all this as I am thinking a change from a $65 DAC/Amp to $150 DAC/Amp may not bring you much..

Last edited:

idiomatically

I would argue going from $65 to $150 dac/amp combo will just be a waste of $150, use what you have or revisit your budget. $150 is not a lot to expect any sort of meaningful upgrade imo. I think you would need to get to the $400 mark to make real meaningful changes imo, but that’s just me.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spend $70 more and get a Topping DX3 Pro. Amir uses it as a benchmark in most of the DAC and Amp reviews. I had one for a couple of weeks and really liked it.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spend $70 more and get a Topping DX3 Pro. Amir uses it as a benchmark in most of the DAC and Amp reviews. I had one for a couple of weeks and really liked it.

That was the V1 though. The current V2's headamp has 10 ohm output impedance which makes it less than ideal.

Max

Forum Donor
I would argue going from $65 to $150 dac/amp combo will just be a waste of $150, use what you have or revisit your budget. $150 is not a lot to expect any sort of meaningful upgrade imo. I think you would need to get to the $400 mark to make real meaningful changes imo, but that’s just me.

Depends on the features required and how loud he listens. A E1DA may be perfect (without spending much $ and surely better than some much $ options)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was the V1 though. The current V2's headamp has 10 ohm output impedance which makes it less than ideal.
Ok I stand corrected! And the headphones are relatively low impedance as well at 36R, so DX3 Pro is not a great idea.
Another idea- Maybe a JDS Labs Atom stack for $200?
Or just the Atom amp for $100 and use the RCA out on the x6.

Last edited:
OP
S

spartangalo

Ok.. Great!

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-msr7/

It appears there are fakes sold. Even if it is genuine, it just might not be to your taste. So, can you audition some other headphones using your current source and the fx audio? Perhaps see if you can listen to an open back, such as a HiFiman HE400i or similar?

Generally, in the string of components involved in headphone systems, the mechanical transducers', the headphones, will be 'the weak link'. Or perhaps better said - the device with the most possible 'deviations'. The DAC is usually one of the components having the least 'deviations'. You will find members here arguing that a $9 Apple dongle can be more accurate than a certain $5,000 DAC. Likewise, unless you are listening at ear-splitting volume, the Amp portion, unless it is unusually poor, is also usually not a severely limiting factor.

Next, try changing the source. Perhaps from the PC to your phones 3.5mm audio jack, or with an OTG cable, the Fx audio USB in. Or from your TV toslink out. Try different music sources - perhaps a 'lossless' one on a free trial.

Lastly, try plugging your msr7 into some other headphones source, your AVR, your stereo, your phone, even your TV 3.5mm. If it sounds better, you may actually have a defective fx audio.

I mention all this as I am thinking a change from a $65 DAC/Amp to $150 DAC/Amp may not bring you much..
Wow! Thank you for your time, the
Ok.. Great!

Thank you for your response, if in fact that page come very well qualified and are in the recommended 200-300 usd, I also have the version b that comments on the page that the fakes are the version without "b" .

I was convinced that the problem was the dac-amp because I saw the review of this page and it is very badly evaluated, also it says that it has a lot of noise and harmonic distortion above 16k.

So I would like to try another dac-amp max $150, according to what I have been reading it could be a good option the Loxjie D10 $90 USD you would recommend me or what would be your top 3 dac-amp for less than 150

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you don't think it's a good idea to buy the DX3 PRO V2 for use with some AT Msr7b 36 ohms

I would not. The higher output impedance will likely change the frequency response somewhat, and the bass will probably sound looser.

OP
S

spartangalo

I would not. The higher output impedance will likely change the frequency response somewhat, and the bass will probably sound looser.
Ok excuse me if I ask silly things I'm a beginner, it doesn't matter if I listen to the music at a very low volume, there it still matters that the dac has few ohms?

And what Dac+amp would you recommend then for a maximum of 150 usd, thank you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom