• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please give me feedback on my first Desktop setup ($1000-1500 CAD budget)

Hello everyone,

I'm going to buy my first desktop setup that is not a $50 Best Buy speaker. I'm going to use this setup as my pc speakers to listen to music while I code, so speakers are less than 2m from me at all times. I also wanted to have a big high-quality volume knob since I like the tactile feeling of changing the volume that way. I listen to music at a really low volume and I don't much care for bass, but maybe I've not heard good quality bass.

So far this is the setup I've arrived at based on what I've found on this forum:
for a total of: $860 CAD

Basically I want to go Macbook =(USB)=> DAC =(Balanced 1/4 inch)=> Volume knob =(Balanced 1/4 inch)=>Speakers

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on which parts I should change to improve the outcome within the budget.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would use a USB volume knob instead of the in-line one from Mackie.
3a5f825f7cc31248cebd093544441cd37e4af842_original.jpeg
Link

On macOS, those would control the DAC's digital hardware volume via UAC2 commands.
Advantage over passive knob attenuators: perfect channel balance at all volumes, doesn't mess with output impedance/input impedance.

OP
R
I would use a USB volume knob instead of the in-line one from Mackie.
View attachment 261370
Link

On macOS, those would control the DAC's digital hardware volume via UAC2 commands.
Advantage over passive knob attenuators: perfect channel balance at all volumes, doesn't mess with output impedance/input impedance.
Do you have any specific volume knobs in mind?
Also what is your opinion on the other parts of the system?
should I add stands or a sub or something?

Also I have a wierd question. These usb knobs how minute can the volume changes be? are they continious or step-by-step. I don't know if I explained what I meant

Top Bottom