• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please explain why they rebooted Suicide Squad?

DACslut

I only saw the 1st one about 3 or 4 years ago. Thought it was a hot mess and kind of a waste of time. Is the new one that much better? I appreciate all comments but please indicate whether you've seen both, thanks.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Thought it was a hot mess and kind of a waste of time.
Yeah it wasn't the best... Margot Robbie kind of makes up for some of it though. ;)
Is the new one that much better?
Not sure, haven't seen it yet... but reviews have been looking healthy;

1628572297782.png

... so I'll give it a go at one point.

JSmith

OP
D

DACslut

I don't like comic book movies, but my guess would be that the studio is a fan of making money

That's generally my view too with some exceptions. The 1st two Iron Mans, the 1st Guardians of the Galaxy, 1st Avengers to name a few. I like Science Fiction as a genre and if the movies are done well, their comic book origins don't really bother me. The Action/Superhero genre got to be too much for me and haven't seen a new one in quite some time. Not a fan of Walking Dead or the way overdone Zombie genre in general. I did like Zombieland, however.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I like big budget movies for their special effects, surround sound finally utilising all my speakers (opposed to hard drama where there is an occasional knock on the door that you hear from rear channel, and 99% of sound is coming from center channel)...
But I agree, this one was awful. I couldn't even watch it to the end. Very boring.
For some reason it succedeed financially with almost 425 million dollar profit. There is your answer.

mugbot

Forum Donor
It's a promising franchise and they fluffed it with the first movie so the hope is that they can nail it with a reboot.
I've heard generally good things and I think James Gunn is a great fit for this type of movie so it's promising.
The DC films in my opinion have been mediocre to fairly terrible so it would be good to see them get a win on the board.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, agree with others, the reason for any reboot is that someone perceives there is money to be made. Of course, that doesn’t automatically preclude it from being a decent film.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't like comic book movies, but my guess would be that the studio is a fan of making money
nor do I (not that anyone cares) -- nor was I ever sucked into comic books per se. Just not my kettle of fish.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen the latest one and all i can say is Meh!
It's really silly, over the top but does not take itself seriously. Its almost (or tries to be) a comedy.
Last I saw, IMDB had rated it over 7 which is generous. Very, generoud. Extremely, generous. I'd rate it a 5 ...at best

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The big franchises rarely have good writing any more. Seems TV shows, e.g., Stranger Things etc. is where all the good writing is today.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
> Please explain why they rebooted Suicide Squad?

Money.
Which, technically (I think) is the main -- if not only reason -- they reboot anything. :rolleyes:

(... although there is that unfortunate bit of revisionist history vis-à-vis Han Solo and Greedo...)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For one, I am sick of Comix I read a as a kid treated as if they're High Art in The Movies. It's a symptom of Hollywood production ruined by MBAs.

Nobody wants to pay writers for original material.

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It looks like lots of the same cast? Is it a reboot or continuation?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's generally my view too with some exceptions. The 1st two Iron Mans, the 1st Guardians of the Galaxy, 1st Avengers to name a few. I like Science Fiction as a genre and if the movies are done well, their comic book origins don't really bother me. The Action/Superhero genre got to be too much for me and haven't seen a new one in quite some time. Not a fan of Walking Dead or the way overdone Zombie genre in general. I did like Zombieland, however.
Check out The Expanse series and books if you haven't yet. Highly recommended.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd give the new Suicide Squad a 6/10 rating. There's enough fresh ideas to elevate the really basic story and clunky dialog and I was generally entertained throughout.

The original Suicide Squad was terrible: 2/10. I was bored and fell asleep in the theater.

Also - because this is ASR and as a group we are on the spectrum ... I don't think this is technically a reboot. Its just another Suicide Squad story in the same universe.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't disagree it's this reason... that said which Hollywood blockbuster isn't made to make a profit?
There's enough fresh ideas to elevate the really basic story and clunky dialog and I was generally entertained throughout.
Good to know, I will watch this at one point. :)

JSmith

Top Bottom