• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please confirm my setup before I go on a purchasing spree. Thoughts?

clipghost

Hi all, my media setup is a room that is attached also to the kitchen. The length of the entire room is 25.5’ x 21.3’ including the kitchen. Just the TV area is 25.4’ x 13.8’ to give you an example of the split between areas.

What I have decided to get...

Subwoofer: I honestly have no idea how to figure this out. I was looking at the Monolith by Monoprice M-15 V2 15in THX Certified Ultra 1000-Watt Subwoofer Amplifier (Monolith by Monoprice M-15 V2 15in THX Certified Ultra 1000-Watt Subwoofer Amplifier - Monoprice.com)

To get one and done. But from what I have read…it may be too much for my room. Or maybe going one to two Monolith by Monoprice M-12 V2 (Monolith by Monoprice M-12 V2 12in THX Certified Ultra 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer - Monoprice.com) is the better option. Knowing my room size, what do you all recommend?

Speakers:

I have researched a ton and I appreciate all the advice on this forums. Due to the room constraints, I have to do my rears in wall and front exterior. It seems like for me, I am too afraid to try Klipsh as there are too many 50/50 opinions. Polk seems like for the price…the Monoliths are better. Triads are too expensive. Revel was nice but some speakers were of my budget I feel. JBL Studio 5’s are nice but I could not find a nice timber matched in wall rear surround.

Front L/R - Monolith 365T - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365T THX Certified Ultra Dolby Atmos Enabled Mini-Tower Speaker (Each) - Monoprice.com

Center = 1 Speaker - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365C THX - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365C THX Certified Ultra Center Channel Speaker (Each) - Monoprice.com
Or
Monolith by Monoprice THX-LCR - Monolith by Monoprice THX-LCR THX Certified Ultra 3-Way LCR In-Wall Speaker - Monoprice.com
The reason I don’t know for sure which center yet is because I am doing a motorized projector in front of an OLED, and I can’t figure out which one works best just yet but same category/level performance.

Rear surround = 2 Speakers - THX-365IW THX Ultra Certified 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365IW THX Certified Ultra 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monoprice.com

Atmos Ceiling = 4 Speakers = Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice.com
Or
Sonance - MAG Series 6-1/2" (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonanc...-pair-paintable-white/5852330.p?skuId=5852330)
Or
Sonance - MAG Series 8" - (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonanc...-pair-paintable-white/6342750.p?skuId=6342750)
These were just on sale for $200 but shot up in price. Whenever they go on sale again is when I would purchase them. But if the Alphas are enough let me know.

Receiver = Denon - AVR-X3800H. It was between this and the Onkyo RZ50. I want to go with Denon due to future-roof with all 2.1 HDMI ins and outs for gaming (I have an Xbox Series X, PS5, and Nintendo Switch), it can power I believe everything I have listed here, can power more than 1 sub if I ever need to in the future, and It has multiple HDMI Out’s that can run both the projector and OLED separately at their max features.

Any other brands would recommend before I pull the trigger on these? What are some good brands for speakers around this same budget?

Aside from that, another factor is I am also trying to have two other separate zones for outdoor speakers/specific rooms. Will this AVR allow me to do that or will I for sure have to buy an external amp like a Sonos?

Thank you so much for all the help!

Holmz

Major Contributor
Any other brands would recommend before I pull the trigger on these? What are some good brands for speakers around this same budget?

I admit I am not the fastest fellow on the planet… and it has taken me quite a while to get the HT part set up.
But that post of yours is quite the bouillabaisse of thoughts and choices.

I error towards good two channel L/R speakers, but I have mixed set up. And it may not matter so much for you, or really anyone in 5.x.
But I would stick with one brand of speakers, and not Frankenstein together a system.

You did not mention budget... and it is easy to blow past it.
Personally I would try to “future proof” the speaker choice over the AVR.

What is the deadline date?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not into in wall or in ceiling but have seen some good comments for RSL's. I'd try and get dual subs at least, and in a big open room like yours the bigger the better, maybe try for nearfield placement. The 3800 has 9ch of amps and 11 of processing for main zone; you can add external amps beyond that for zone use (or particular configurations).

Holmz

Major Contributor
… you can add external amps beyond that for zone use (or particular configurations).

What are some good examples of 2 or 4 channel amps that have XLR and maybe a trigger?
I have not had good luck finding them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are some good examples of 2 or 4 channel amps that have XLR and maybe a trigger?
I have not had good luck finding them.
Why would you need xlr with an avr? Oh, you're not the OP. Many avrs do have the trigger thing if you really need it.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Why would you need xlr with an avr? Oh, you're not the OP. Many avrs do have the trigger thing if you really need it.

I have an AVP.
Currently running the rear surround XLRs under the rug to an AIYAMA, which goes in as RCA, and they also do not have a trigger.

Before I route the cables under the floor, I want to find an amp that the mrs can just have automatically turn on when the AVP goes on.
I’ll start a thread.

Oso Polar

I kind of feel the same. Good AVR but I have big doubts about the selected speakers. IMHO if budget is an issue then it is better to buy the whole setup over some time, starting with AVR and fronts, then subwoofer(s), then center channel, then surround speakers. Also, for a large room I'd definitely not go with bookshelves as fronts even if they are called mini-towers by the manufacturer. :)

Madlop26

I have a relatively small listening room. I could not get Bass right until I got 2 subwoofers, don't have to be monsters subs, 2 medium or small ones will do fine, especially if you have and AVR with independent subs like the AVR-X3800H

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd get 2 separate subwoofers. This will do a much better job at creating consistent bass throughout the room than a single one will.

garbulky

Major Contributor
You'd get better results if you went two channel due to your limited budget. Maximise your investment into quality speakers with your two channel - is my suggestion. Also consider room treatment.

Holmz

Major Contributor
You'd get better results if you went two channel due to your limited budget. Maximise your investment into quality speakers with your two channel - is my suggestion. Also consider room treatment.

^+1^

An AVR/AVP doing 2.1 or 2.2 would be the same logical step that myself and others took.

Then it is 4.2 and likely towards 6.2 to 5.2 or 7.2.
But I could picture a jump from 4.2 to 4.2.4 and 5.2.4

2.0 and 2.1 can be very good if it is 1 or 2 people watching a movie.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
@clipghost
I know it may not be want you want to hear, but starting small and smart can pay dividends in the future.

Since you started with Subs, I will too. Subs are important. Good Subwoofage is not cheap. You are on the right track looking at the Monoliths. What is most important when considering Subs is Total Open Room Volume. Unlike Speakers that are much more directional, the Subs will act on all of the open space they are exposed to. I'm not one to say you need to Pressurize the complete open room volume, but you need to be aware that it does have an impact on performance.
So as you consider the options... Get a good approximation of total Cubic Feet of the entire open room. Your idea of a TV room "boundary" DOES NOT MATTER to the Sub. ;) Depending on your Ceiling height, its looking like you are flirting with a Large to Extreme size room (see: Basaholic room size on AH).
I would absolutely consider the Monolith 15s. And here is the thing... it's not about too much bass, it is about getting the best bass response in your listening area and doing it while keeping the Subs in their comfort zone. You might get away with the 12s, but the 15s are really going to set you up for the long hall. They have the extension and the headroom to operate in just about any space you place them.

I've heard good things about the Monolith THX Speakers. IIRC, they reviewed pretty well over at AH. I'm not suggesting that they are the absolute best, but a few people I've seen comment on their experience were happy with them.

Now...
Don't be afraid to start small.
It is far better to get a 3.x or 5.x system set up and working properly than rush toward a full 7.x.4 or whatever... Your Bed Layer Speakers MUST BE SET UP CORRECTLY. This is the basis of your Surround field. Most failures in good Atmos, for example, start here.
Now, IIRC, these Monolith Speakers are also Atmos Enabled... If you are not a Geometry whiz, you will need to brush up on that if you want to have a good experience with them. Again, with these Bouncy House designs, you get more failures than successes because they aren't aimed right for your seating position.
You must be careful! If you have a sloped ceiling, I wouldn't touch any such Speaker with a 10' pole.

Center Channel is absolutely one of the most important in HT. The Monolith standard Center usually gets props for a pretty solid design.

Ultimately, I would argue for more care and perhaps a deeper budget to work with. I get that it's not always possible. But be patient and shop around some. The worst thing is buying too much too fast and finding out that some (OR NONE!) is right for you.

Phantom Center rigs can be effective, but are limited. If you have a large family or spread out seating, the center image will fail you. This becomes a value proposition based on what is important to you!

OP
C

clipghost

I admit I am not the fastest fellow on the planet… and it has taken me quite a while to get the HT part set up.
But that post of yours is quite the bouillabaisse of thoughts and choices.

I error towards good two channel L/R speakers, but I have mixed set up. And it may not matter so much for you, or really anyone in 5.x.
But I would stick with one brand of speakers, and not Frankenstein together a system.

You did not mention budget... and it is easy to blow past it.

What is the deadline date?
Not into in wall or in ceiling but have seen some good comments for RSL's. I'd try and get dual subs at least, and in a big open room like yours the bigger the better, maybe try for nearfield placement. The 3800 has 9ch of amps and 11 of processing for main zone; you can add external amps beyond that for zone use (or particular configurations).
I kind of feel the same. Good AVR but I have big doubts about the selected speakers. IMHO if budget is an issue then it is better to buy the whole setup over some time, starting with AVR and fronts, then subwoofer(s), then center channel, then surround speakers. Also, for a large room I'd definitely not go with bookshelves as fronts even if they are called mini-towers by the manufacturer. :)
@clipghost
I know it may not be want you want to hear, but starting small and smart can pay dividends in the future.

Since you started with Subs, I will too. Subs are important. Good Subwoofage is not cheap. You are on the right track looking at the Monoliths. What is most important when considering Subs is Total Open Room Volume. Unlike Speakers that are much more directional, the Subs will act on all of the open space they are exposed to. I'm not one to say you need to Pressurize the complete open room volume, but you need to be aware that it does have an impact on performance.
So as you consider the options... Get a good approximation of total Cubic Feet of the entire open room. Your idea of a TV room "boundary" DOES NOT MATTER to the Sub. ;) Depending on your Ceiling height, its looking like you are flirting with a Large to Extreme size room (see: Basaholic room size on AH).
I would absolutely consider the Monolith 15s. And here is the thing... it's not about too much bass, it is about getting the best bass response in your listening area and doing it while keeping the Subs in their comfort zone. You might get away with the 12s, but the 15s are really going to set you up for the long hall. They have the extension and the headroom to operate in just about any space you place them.

I've heard good things about the Monolith THX Speakers. IIRC, they reviewed pretty well over at AH. I'm not suggesting that they are the absolute best, but a few people I've seen comment on their experience were happy with them.

Now...
Don't be afraid to start small.
It is far better to get a 3.x or 5.x system set up and working properly than rush toward a full 7.x.4 or whatever... Your Bed Layer Speakers MUST BE SET UP CORRECTLY. This is the basis of your Surround field. Most failures in good Atmos, for example, start here.
Now, IIRC, these Monolith Speakers are also Atmos Enabled... If you are not a Geometry whiz, you will need to brush up on that if you want to have a good experience with them. Again, with these Bouncy House designs, you get more failures than successes because they aren't aimed right for your seating position.
You must be careful! If you have a sloped ceiling, I wouldn't touch any such Speaker with a 10' pole.

Center Channel is absolutely one of the most important in HT. The Monolith standard Center usually gets props for a pretty solid design.

Ultimately, I would argue for more care and perhaps a deeper budget to work with. I get that it's not always possible. But be patient and shop around some. The worst thing is buying too much too fast and finding out that some (OR NONE!) is right for you.

Phantom Center rigs can be effective, but are limited. If you have a large family or spread out seating, the center image will fail you. This becomes a value proposition based on what is important to you!
Hey guys thanks so much for the info and thoughts! I will answer here. As for subs, alright it seems 2 should be the standard. Whether I do two 12's or 15's I will have to check as room is the issue.

I am all about starting small and getting there but we are wrapping up construction. Anything In-wall (2 surrounds) or in ceiling (4 atmos) needs to be installed NOW. Creating dust later on is just not an option especially for the wife.

If that is my situation/case that means I need to figure out my LCR. I could fiddle with that and take my time but realistically need that sooner than later. Monoprice Monolith is what I gear towards due to the quality/performance and the price. Also that I can have them all in the same speaker line. I agree on not using the bouncy house, so the 365T I would not even be using the atmos speakers on that. It is what it is but to match it to every other speaker, that is all that is availble unless I go higher to the towers but not worth it to me for price.

Monolith center definitely has good reviews there.

So with that information you know I have come across RSL....JBL....Polk...etc....they all have options. JBL 590's with their in wall 6IW is an option while trying to find a center. But is it better for the price? I have no experience there. Even Polk has some nice options. But I don't have the experience or the time/money to buy them all to test. Would love some advice. For subs I think sticking with Monolith line is where I am unless someone points me in the direction of a better/cheaper sub.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Hey guys …

I am all about starting small and getting there but we are wrapping up construction. Anything In-wall (2 surrounds) or in ceiling (4 atmos) needs to be installed NOW. Creating dust later on is just not an option especially for the wife.

I would certainly run conduits to each location so that cables can be pulled through later.
Whether that is a 7.2.2, 7.2.4 pot 7.2.6 etc… Those conduits need to be in.

You may want an acoustician to help, as covering the wall with sheets of dry wall may not be what you want to do long term.

OP
C

clipghost

I would certainly run conduits to each location so that cables can be pulled through later.
Whether that is a 7.2.2, 7.2.4 pot 7.2.6 etc… Those conduits need to be in.

You may want an acoustician to help, as covering the wall with sheets of dry wall may not be what you want to do long term.
It's already done and set up ready for an in wall speaker. Correct insulation and double dry wall in place :)

Reactions: JRS

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is everything purchased yet? With the KEF R3 getting close to 500$ it’s difficult to buy anything else right now (objective measurements wise).

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
That is what I mentioned earlier… There are some absorbers that fit between the studs.

Which is it?
1) smurfs?
2) Conduits?

(I don’t even know what a Smurf tube is)
Electrical Non-Metalic Tubing…
Originally, they were blue. Like Smurfs.
1668522323580.jpeg

And clearly it is the Smurfs that pull the cables through the tubes for you so you don’t have to yourself! :p

The tubing is now available in other colors… typically orange seems to be preferred.

Top Bottom