• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please Bring Back Fight Club

Wombat

Master Contributor
Some posters take advantage of niceness. :cool:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Make it a poll, so we can vote early and vote often.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe it could be by invitation only...

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
It's like the notion of "No ideas politics at the dinner table." Instead, the convention is to interact with some polite chitchat; a fact here, some gossip there. When all the time you're desperate to go to the pub and bash some ideas together.

At Oxbridge and other good places they know this, and have formalised it into something called 'debate'. It's quite something. You should have a look at it.

The internet could be a brilliant way to do it, except that it is open to aggressive people who actively fear ideas, and only feel comfortable trading facts. They could simply ignore the conversations about ideas that break out, instead of sniping..?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Formal institutional debate is a form of combat where argument technique scores above factual presentation.

Your post, above, does show your discomfort with being constrained by reality. Back up your ideas, otherwise they are just vacuous thoughts.

I find it hard to find anything in your posts that you can be held to account for. All very slippery. Do you think you will inspire others to greatness with your waffle? Oops, I asked a question. I guess I'll get several in return.

I am disengaging from your ephemeral banter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom