• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please advise on a DAC+amp combo, and a headphone with a warm, relaxed sound

Molasses

First of all, I'd just like to thank Asmir, Wolf, and all the other contributors on this forum -- I've learned a lot from all of you.

A week ago I just wanted to find a nice pair of headphones on Amazon that I would drive from my laptop. And now thanks to this forum I've somehow fallen down an audiophile rabbit hole....and the only way to return to sanity is to obtain the perfect DAC, amp, headphone combination (for my budget range).

Combination 1
Topping D10
JDS Atom
HD6XX

Combination 2
Soncoz LA-QXD1
Geshelli Archel 2.5 Pro
HD6XX

Would combination 2 sound noticeably better?
Do balance interconnects make much difference?
Is the HD6XX the right headphone for me?

Also, would it be possible for Amir and Wolf to test the SINAD etc of DAC + amp combinations? (edit: this question was already previously answered https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inad-numbers-of-separate-dac-amp-combos.5374/ )

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
untitled.png

This site has lots of reviews for your perusal. What it can't do is match your personal preferences if they are not for transparent reproduction.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
HD6XX
Do balance interconnects make much difference?
Is the HD6XX the right headphone for me?

The HD6XX does not need that much power, so balanced is a little overkill, things will get loud quite quickly. Still, if you get more demanding headphones later you are already set. Soncoz+Geshelli is quite future proof if you can afford them.
But on a budget Atom with a nice DAC will definitely suffice. Also look into modi3+magni-heresy it's a sexy stack in black color :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
The HD6XX does not need that much power, so balanced is a little overkill, things will get loud quite quickly. Still, if you get more demanding headphones later you are already set. Soncoz+Geshelli is quite future proof if you can afford them.
But on a budget Atom with a nice DAC will definitely suffice. Also look into modi3+magni-heresy it's a sexy stack in black color :)

How do they 'synergise', whatever that means?

OP
M

Molasses

Thank you, Veri. I think I'll get the Soncoz+Geshelli to satisfy my newly discovered audiophile neurosis

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mix matching poorly designed, colored gear to attempt to arrive at your personal preference of colored sound is the typical "audiophool" pursuit leading to huge sums of money being spent on lousy, expensive gear. Just buy inexpensive, high quality, neutral gear, and add a little eq or tone controls to adjust to taste.

OP
M

Molasses

I have no idea what people mean by synergize. I saw people suggesting that certain pieces of equipment work better with other pieces of equipment and I wondered if that was something that could actually be measured

OP
M

Molasses

I selected the DAC and amps that had the best SINAD and other measurements at their price range, I intended for the headphones to provide the 'flavour'. I read that the HD6XXX had the profile I'm looking for, but I haven't heard them, and I can't go to an audio store and try things out due to lockdown, so I thought I'd ask the ASR hive mind for help

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have no idea what people mean by synergize. I saw people suggesting that certain pieces of equipment work better with other pieces of equipment and I wondered if that was something that could actually be measured

In terms of one piece of equipment overcoming the shortcomings of another it is not likely for the usual hifi components. Better to buy 'transparent' devices and EQ to your liking.

That is not to say another hasn't combined non-transparent components to their liking but what are the chances of you liking them similarly - particularly headphones?

The best ones are the ones you like after trying them for yourself. ;)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I selected the DAC and amps that had the best SINAD and other measurements at their price range, I intended for the headphones to provide the 'flavour'. I read that the HD6XX had the profile I'm looking for, but I haven't heard them, and I can't go to an audio store and try things out due to lockdown, so I thought I'd ask the ASR hive mind for help
HD6XX is a great start to hi-fi audio. I never got rid of my HD650, it's a keeper :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I read that the HD6XXX had the profile I'm looking for

I got the HD6xxx, as my first set of headphones...always been a speaker guy (still am really), and I like them a lot. I don't listen to headphones much, but when I do I'm not thinking about what I'm missing, and don't feel like I need anything else.

I also got the Etymotic er4sr, and find them remarkable.

I use the JDS Atom usually...but I don't care about visual synergies, and just tuck stuff out of sight as much as possible.

raindance

Major Contributor
I have the MassDrop HE4XX and I drive them with a Channel Islands Audio amp and a Schiit Loki Mini for tone controls. I find these headphones warmer than any Sennheisers even without tone control intervention.

OP
M

Molasses

Thank you for all the feedback, guys. I really appreciate it

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
LOXJIE D10 DAC + Schiit Heresy Magni 3+ or Atom Amp. LOXJIE is just 90$ this day's on Ali, you can find review measurements hire.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD650 never struck me as having a 'warm, relaxed, fun sound'
Instead I would call it 'warmish' neutral sound.
Not particularly 'relaxed' and 'fun'.
Of course the sound could be 'fun' and 'relaxing' to people.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not particularly 'relaxed' and 'fun'.
Of course the sound could be 'fun' and 'relaxing' to people.
Maybe not as fun as it is relaxing, for me it's definitely a kick back and relax headphone. I do EQ in some missing sub-bass though.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tubes...

Top Bottom