• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please advise on a DAC+amp combo, and a headphone with a warm, relaxed sound

Veri

Master Contributor
I use the HD 6XX. Is it known for a warm relaxed profile? Not that I should care too much. It's comfortable and sounds good enough.
I would quote solderdude: "warmish neutral sound". It is tonally neutral, only it is lacking in sub-bass, and the mids are relatively more prominent than neutral. Treble overall is non-extended and non-fatiguing. HD600 has slightly more extended treble, but they are really quite close to each other.

Overall they are solid overall performers. The somewhat up-front mids or the sub-bass roll-off can be an issue for some, although you can fix both (mostly) with EQ. To me the 6xx/650 sound just great :p

koro

I have the hd58x and they sound neutral but rolled off in the highs. I guess you could call them warm in the sense that the mids are present but not so much in the high-mids. The Hifiman 4xx for instance, have more recessed mids but I can’t listen to them for too long.

I can (subjectivism alert) understand where that Sennheiser-Veil myth comes from though, I felt like a wall between the music and my ears at first, but to be fair my previous reference (Superlux hd681/668b) were not neutral in the highs (and had considerably bigger soundstage)

Veri

Master Contributor
I can (subjectivism alert) understand where that Sennheiser-Veil myth comes from though, I felt like a wall between the music and my ears at first, but to be fair my previous reference (Superlux hd681/668b) were not neutral in the highs (and had considerably bigger soundstage)
The 600/650 have more energy in the treble than the 58x though :)

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Balanced audio does NOT sound any better. In some cases you may lower groundloop issues. ...
All else equal, balanced also has 6 dB higher S/N ratio -- due to voltage doubling from differential signalling. That said, all else is not always equal and the SNR of good well built unbalanced equipment is high enough, so the difference is likely inaudible.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
All else equal, balanced also has 6 dB higher S/N ratio -- due to voltage doubling from differential signalling. That said, all else is not always equal and the SNR of good well built unbalanced equipment is high enough, so the difference is likely inaudible.

The signal doubles, S/N ratio... this is 3dB better because noise differs on + and - signal and is random. On the HD650 self noise of the amps are blow audible levels.

Thanks for the information, I do not know these amps.

I don't know them either but can still recommend them all because of measured performance.
How do I know they will sound the same. Because they measure the same where it counts (keeping audibility levels in mind).

Top Bottom