• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playstation 5 and the venture into more serious audio for the next-gen.

Tks

Major Contributor
Timestamped (just press play). Lead architect behind the upcoming PS5 talks about the return to more serious audio (since the PS3, which in it's first iterations functioned even as an SACD player, and with hacked firmware, now functions as one of the best SACD rippers). Maybe everyone here would find this interesting as they seems to be chasing what is essentially a better emulation of soundstage/"3D Audio". @amirm they mention this is still a field with more academic research going into this constantly, and is going to be a venture they're going to keep delving into and improving. First starting with headphones as the listening medium, then TV speakers/soundbars, and then finally multi-channel.

I'd like peoples thoughts on his presentation and talk about this portion focused on audio. As it seems devoid of the usual audiophile fluff nonsense for the most part. 3D Audio with "ray tracing" as the paradigm has already gotten off to a good start in a post I submitted a while back. More interesting is near the end when they talk about AI powered customization.

Looking forward to fact checking a few of the more knowledgeable folks do here, and see if any of these claims fail the sniff test from our users here. Also bossman... may want to dust off the workers shoes, and get some consulting work going :)

Also this presentation was very dry and heavy for what the mainstream expected from the PS5 reveal. People are looking forward for summaries and thoughts on this presentation for the laymen. I imagine there are very few people out in the wild watching this that are qualified to give proper commentary on this audio aspect especially (seeing as how audio is rife with audiophools, and the technical and measurment based aspects concerning the rest of the hardware in a computer/gaming console is already understood by many, but audio remains allusive to many). Do consider posting on Youtube if you have something to say for folks there. (Maybe bossman can give a commentary that could be published at gaming/tech news outlets).

astr0b0y

Sounds very promising. I love immersive audio and I like the price point of PS systems, hopefully their new tech is usable not just by games but by music and movie sources too.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very interesting, if not particularly useful....thinking this might be my last and final bluray player and (mostly) games machine.
Curious to see how they support Bluray audio discs:)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone else, the audio parts start just past 52 minutes in.
Another little article.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/sony-promises-ps5-will-load-content-100x-faster-than-ps4/

Interesting looking HRTF measuring rig.
1584591647846.png

1584591686388.png

Top Bottom