• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playlist of tracks most played in Audio Showrooms/at Audio Shows

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody seen or put together a playlist of the tracks that are most commonly played to show off high end equipment? Sometimes when I see demos on YouTube I listen to the track. They have certain characteristics in common - very spare (not dense) recording, female vocal, close-miked, breathy, bloomy.

Like the one Amir just mentioned - Eva Cassidy, ”Ain’t no Sunshine”. Definitely pops, but that guitar sounds a bit odd.

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem like anyone demos with a symphony or big band recording, electronic music, or dense piano music. All of which are a much better test of audio equipment.

Anyway, if there’s a playlist somewhere, I’d get a kick out of it.

threni

Major Contributor
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand that there's a live jazz cd called "Jazz at the Pawnshop" on Naxos which many people (who don't normally listen to jazz) use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_at_the_Pawnshop
Just tried the SACD re-release of that, but via Qobuz. No great shakes. The vibraphone sounds cool. Some stage noise to listen for (inexplicably, a lot before the music starts on the first track) as “detail”, but not a standout recording.

For a really present live jazz recording of similar scale I’d try the “United We Swing” Jazz at Lincoln Center benefit recording, with Wynton’s Septet and a bunch of guest artists.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody seen or put together a playlist of the tracks that are most commonly played to show off high end equipment? Sometimes when I see demos on YouTube I listen to the track. They have certain characteristics in common - very spare (not dense) recording, female vocal, close-miked, breathy, bloomy.
Yep, Sara K. comes to my mind. Or London Grammar Hey Now. Or Kari Bremnes (she actually makes good music, also live). Seldom do they use complex music in demos (except a few classical recordings). I think with really complex music (many instruments playing different lines, with lots of deep bass) tube amps might show too much IMD ...
Well, I have a bunch of Reference CDs from different audio companies and music labels ripped on disk. No I haven't heard them all. I could make a directory listing of its content (about 1200+ FLAC files) so you could look which titles appear more than once ...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you go to my past audio show reports you will see me including the tracks I heard there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?categories/audio-shows.34/

I have not created a playlist for it though. Often I have shots of company playlists in there though.

It is a great discovery tool for new music by the way once you get past the handful that get played everywhere.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you go to my past audio show reports you will see me including the tracks I heard there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?categories/audio-shows.34/

I have not created a playlist for it though. Often I have shots of company playlists in there though.

It is a great discovery tool for new music by the way once you get past the handful that get played everywhere.
Thanks, I just looked at some of them.

Sort of annoying Roon can't share playlists. I don't even see an export button.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out the Sheffield Labs recordings from the 1960s-1980s. Some fairly gimmicky stuff there but also some interesting effects that can highlight differences among reproduction rigs. Not sure how many of these are available to stream, though. The Lincoln Mayorga records are fascinating. I also remember using Gino Vanelli's Powerful People (A&M) on vinyl as a test disk back in the day.

ferrellms

I understand that there's a live jazz cd called "Jazz at the Pawnshop" on Naxos which many people (who don't normally listen to jazz) use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_at_the_Pawnshop
It has way more "in person ambience" than any live recording of its era. Compared to modern stuff it sucks but it has impressive reverberation at first hearing. The music is just OK.

Peterinvan

Like the one Amir just mentioned - Eva Cassidy, ”Ain’t no Sunshine”. Definitely pops, but that guitar sounds a bit odd.

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem like anyone demos with a symphony or big band recording, electronic music, or dense piano music. All of which are a much better test of audio equipment.

This is my playlist. Many different genres.

Top Bottom