• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing with REW - What does all this mean?

SKBubba

Goofing around with REW. Got a UMIK-1 and set everything up. Speakers are refurb'd Klipsch Quartets. Amp is Denon AVR-X3600h. Ran two simple measurements, measuring R+L at the same time, mic placed in the approximate center near listening position. My first question was, are my speakers working properly? They sound good to me, but was just curious how they measure. Apparently they are working and playing frequencies I can't hear. My second experiment was, what is Audyssey doing? I ran a measurement with Audyssey (which I guess includes the sub) and a second in Direct mode. Here are the results. What does all this mean? I am still studying how to use the tools. There's too much math. I'm not good at math. Anyway, are my speakers any good? Thanks in advance for any observations.

DSPL.jpg

DDistortion.jpg
DWaterfall.jpg
DSpectrogram.jpg
ASPL.jpg
ADistortion.jpg
AWaterfall.jpg
ASpectrogram.jpg

Finally, if you're still with me, here's an overlay of Audyssey v. Direct (red is Direct, blue is Audyssey):
AvDSPL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SKBubba

SKBubba

One thing I think I can conclude is that the sub appears to be adding a lot of distortion below the 80hz crossover?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Better measure each channel separately. You can sum them later (rms/vector avg if needed to see the effect of the summed bass response. THD around 30Hz is high which makes me think excessive EQ boost is probably applied there. Whether that sounds bad or not at your end, can’t really say.

OP
SKBubba

SKBubba

Better measure each channel separately. You can sum them later (rms/vector avg if needed to see the effect of the summed bass response. THD around 30Hz is high which makes me think excessive EQ boost is probably applied there. Whether that sounds bad or not at your end, can’t really say.

Thanks. Planning to run more measurements once I learn the tools better. I also need to rerun the Audyssey setup using the app so I can adjust stuff like that. It failed when I first tried to use it and haven't tried to figure out why, just using the avr's built-in measurement results.

Top Bottom