• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing bit-perfect music on your Macintosh

Axo1989

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you please share a link to that blog? Very curious as to how all that works. Thanks.
The article was informative, certainly. I recall reading articles among Benchmark's audio application notes then following a link, but I couldn't find the item I remembered after a quick look recently.

I did find an item on playing hi-res from iPad which said:
... the iPad can transparently stream high-resolution digital audio to the USB input of DAC1 converters. Even more remarkable, the iPad is able to wirelessly stream a 96-kHz, 24-bit audio file via Wi-Fi without losing sonic quality.
More detail in the article iPad streams high-resolution audio to Benchmark DAC1 (there's also a pdf version) including some testing. That's interesting, but not about upsampling (in fact it's confirming no downsampling). I also found a brief reference in another article Computer audio playback setup guide to Apple's upsampling which was less sanguine and more qualified:
Although the quality of the sample-rate conversion in iTunes is surprisingly good, it is an unnecessary DSP process which is best avoided.

Both interesting articles. Now it's possible I conflated the two items and there is no more detail via Benchmark on Apple's upsampling quality. Or there is something, but I can't find it. That's all I can say for certain at the moment, sorry.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
The article was informative, certainly. I recall reading articles among Benchmark's audio application notes then following a link, but I couldn't find the item I remembered after a quick look recently.

I did find an item on playing hi-res from iPad which said:

More detail in the article iPad streams high-resolution audio to Benchmark DAC1 (there's also a pdf version) including some testing. That's interesting, but not about upsampling (in fact it's confirming no downsampling). I also found a brief reference in another article Computer audio playback setup guide to Apple's upsampling which was less sanguine and more qualified:

Both interesting articles. Now it's possible I conflated the two items and there is no more detail via Benchmark on Apple's upsampling quality. Or there is something, but I can't find it. That's all I can say for certain at the moment, sorry.
With Apple Music lossless from iPad or iPhone with lightning cable to a dac, there is no upsampling or downsampling - iPad always plays the native material up to 192 KHz .

Not so with Mac , where you must change sample freq manually for different records in the midi setting .

With a third program, like losslesswitcher, you can have auto changing to correct sample freq on Mac .

Last edited:

Axo1989

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With Apple Music lossless from iPad or iPhone with lightning cable to a dac, there is no upsampling or downsampling - iPad always plays the native material up to 192 KHz. Not so with Mac , where you must change sample freq manually for different records in the midi setting. With a third program, like losslesswitcher, you can have auto changing to correct sample freq on Mac .
Yes, I'm aware of all that. The question from @fcruz requested a link to an article I may have read on quality of upsampling on macOS (which I didn't find). The aside in the iPad article about playing 24/96 wirelessly was interesting, however.

fcruz

Yes, I'm aware of all that. The question from @fcruz requested a link to an article I may have read on quality of upsampling on macOS (which I didn't find). The aside in the iPad article about playing 24/96 wirelessly was interesting, however.
Much appreciated. Definitely have some reading to do.

Top Bottom