• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing Apple Hi-Res Lossless directly through DAC from IPad/Phone etc...

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Hello audio enthusiasts,

Having been thoroughly disillusioned with MQA, Apple’s recent launch of its Hi-Res lossless, at no additional cost with free month long trial, is a mighty tempting alternative. Even if Spotify’s equivalent lossless offering is braced over the horizon, I still fancy giving Apple a go.

However, the mConnect app does not offer remote playback, which would have made playing from the Apple music catalogue a doddle similar to Tidal.

My question is what do I need to do to connect my IPad phone etc to my Mytek Brooklyn Bridge DAC to play the Hi-Res Apple files? It is made quiet clear by Apple that a DAC is required to play their Hi-Res music variant. The problem is that the USB port on the Mytek does not facilitate playback from the iPad. I couldn’t play downloaded files from either mConnect ( which does recognise the iPad stored files) or directly from the iPad. I’m probably being inadvertently dim about protocol demands,

I’m quite sure there are tech savvy people out in the field that are probably doing much more! Hence any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Much obliged to you

Last edited:

Martinvb

Hi, Apple only states that an ‘external DAC’ is required. What is essential is a Lightning to USB camera adapter, which can then be hooked up to the DAC with a regular USB cable. This would enable lossless CD quality playback, not HD playback, which is not supported by the camera adapter.

OP
Docmoggy

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Hi, Apple only states that an ‘external DAC’ is required. What is essential is a Lightning to USB camera adapter, which can then be hooked up to the DAC with a regular USB cable. This would enable lossless CD quality playback, not HD playback, which is not supported by the camera adapter.

Thank you for your response, I’ve done some more digging around and it would, indeed, appear that the DAC on a stick to headphone socket is the intended strategy for Hi-Res. Then, it is very disappointing that the audio enthusiast is being disregarded to the benefit of the casual listener.

Maybe Apple will release some software to allow airplay or Bluetooth a la Tidal. Apple need the penny to drop!

vhild§

The problem with iOS devices is that they don’t accept dacs that draw too much power from iPhone/iPad. Therefore the only dacs I’ve been able to connect to my phone is the Dragonfly Cobalt and Ifi Hip Dac. I guess all dacs with in-built battery can be connected. However, people have been succesful with other dacs too, like Topping D30, which doesn’t work with my setup.

D

Deleted member 26571

Isn't the real "problem" that if you could stream high-res from the phone to a DAC over USB, you could just as easily stream to a computer and then -- heaven forbid -- you could make copies of the files?

ENG

Forum Donor
Hello, see my thread: “Apple lossless and your setup
I can tell you that you really you get 24/192 with Apple Music,
it´s clear om my Topping D90.
It’s Airplay and remote that’s the problem.

Top Bottom