• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing a cassette tape over ONE THOUSAND times! - YouTube

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Also what is that "Laser" brand and why didn't he use a good engineered and popular TDK or Maxell?
He says at the end it was considered a budget brand, with the point being that cheaper brands that aren't considered very good still have very good replayability. (Firefox is telling me "replayability" is not a word). Better brands should sound even better.

Last edited:

600_OHM

I did that test back in 1973!

For the holidays, my parents saw that I was absolutely glued to a 9v pocket transistor radio, and I got an upgrade to a nice single-speaker Panasonic radio / cassette. (stereo headphone out luckily)

They admitted later in life that they just picked up some random cassettes and I got these two:

Switched-On-Bach / Wendy Carlos

Black Sabbath / Black Sabbath

I wore them BOTH out. Maybe this is why I'm so messed up sonically - in a good way! :)

Somehow after this, listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn wasn't fulfilling enough...

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Tapes, even cassettes, should be good for thousands of plays on a well maintained deck. I worked a good deal with MacKenzie and other brands of tape loop repeaters at Disneyland which played music and sound effects over and over again for untold thousands of times and these tapes literally took the oxide coating significantly wearing off before the tapes lost playback quality. I have 1/4" 15 ips master tape copies from the 1950s which are perfectly playable today and sound good (as an aside, Ampex tape manufactured during the 1970s used defective binder formulations in the back coating which led to these tapes being unplayable today unless 'baked'. The well known Sticky Shed Syndrome).

Last edited:
Top Bottom