• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Player-Streamer Roundup - Need feedback on yours

ClosDeBen

I'm looking for a player/streamer (and Dac too but that seems easier). I want to try some of the high res services as well with a good enough system to hear the difference but have Spotify now (with some local ripped Flac).

Some options:

Node 2i or NAD 658 Bluesound. I hear mixed things on Bluesound OS but hopefully it'll improve. I've been through enough threads know some folks are at least satisfied with it and it has at least enough partners to hopefully merit support and improvement resources. The room eq on the NAD sounds interesting. Not cheap (or attractive) though.

Matrix Element i - By all accounts great hardware and built in DAC. It's a small company, is there risk in the app software support vanishing,

Audiolab 6000N ( uses play Fi, affordable, says it supports everything).

my iMac as it's nearby. I plan to get a DAC anyway (Topping Balanced D70 or similar). Any downside just using the ma ? The players are all headless.

Or... Buy a $80 Odroid N2 and use Volumio (or the Volumio Mini86) . Maybe foolish to use the newer but less well established N2 but it's passive and super cool. I don't risk much going this way. Some advantage in saving my $1k before the the market firms (granted it's now 2020, hard to believe it's so difficult).

Frustrating part of reading existing reviews is they focus on how the streamers is lack of software focus. Seems like the interface, stability and software are bigger deals. Assuming there aren't glaring holes in their specs, then I care a lot more about the software and stability. I spend way too much of the day fussing with software to want any more.

Apologies as I know I'm all over the place. I'm hoping there's some obsessed folks who have tried lots of options. I'm probably overlooking probably the most important part which is other family members being able to enjoy music easily. I suppose that means mostly software platform quality.

OP
C

ClosDeBen

I combed through a few more threads and excellent comparisons which point out that usb into the dac from a computer should work quite well. Since mine is within 6' of the DAC, I plan to use that option.

CharlesC

You can avoid a lot of software insecurity by building a Roon ROCK device or sticking with BlueOS. My experience using Volumio with Qobuz has not been satisfactory.

Top Bottom