• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics TRT v2.1j master file giveaway for ASR members

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

I would like Stories and Breton String Quartets Nos. 1 and 3.
Hi Atanasi,

The three last albums in the catalogue were recorded a long time ago before we started our TRT project. They were recorded at Musicstry Studios but they do not belong to the PlayClassics record label.

This thread is only about the PlayClassics albums (which are the ones that benefit from the TRT sound)

I just sent you the Stories. Please choose another one and I will be happy to send you the codes...

smallricey

Dear friends from ASR,

Last time I posted on this forum we were at calibration version 2.0f. Lots of things have happened since then...

We kept working on our transparency quest and came across some new developments that have finally produced some results.

Just last week we updated our servers with new versions of all our albums. They have all been updated to calibration 2.1j.

For those who might not know about our project we are using a fixed recording setup to try to develop a truly transparent audio recording system. You can read about it here: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound.

Over the years we have been developing new, more transparent, calibrations that we have applied to all our recordings (we can do that because all our albums have been recorded using the same physical setup). Here is a link to our catalogue where you can see all our productions: http://www.playclassics.com/albums

I would be delighted to share this latest version with you all. Many of you already have our releases on some of our previous calibrations and it would be very useful to us to have your feedback on this latest one.

Please let me know which two albums you would like to try and I will be happy to send you a gift code, ...and as always: Enjoy :)

I would like to listen to the Modern Times and Ad Astra if that's possible. Thanks

JW001

Chopin's Polish Songs and Stories, please.

Four titles of Chopin's songs at playclassics are misspelled:

- I. Zyezenie. (Should be: Zyczenie)
- XII. Moja Pieszczotak. (Should be: Moja Pieszczotka
- XVI. Pionsnka Litewska. (Should be: Piosnka Litewska)
- XVII. Leci Liscie Z Drzewa.
(Should be: Leca Liscie z Drzewa)

(And I didn't consider missing diacritic marks as errors :))

Thank you!
Jerry

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Chopin's Polish Songs and Stories, please.

Four titles of Chopin's songs at playclassics are misspelled:

- I. Zyezenie. (Should be: Zyczenie)
- XII. Moja Pieszczotak. (Should be: Moja Pieszczotka
- XVI. Pionsnka Litewska. (Should be: Piosnka Litewska)
- XVII. Leci Liscie Z Drzewa.
(Should be: Leca Liscie z Drzewa)

(And I didn't consider missing diacritic marks as errors :))

Thank you!
Jerry

Hi Jerry, I will see that it gets corrected. Thanks!

madDog

Dear friends from ASR,

Last time I posted on this forum we were at calibration version 2.0f. Lots of things have happened since then...

We kept working on our transparency quest and came across some new developments that have finally produced some results.

Just last week we updated our servers with new versions of all our albums. They have all been updated to calibration 2.1j.

For those who might not know about our project we are using a fixed recording setup to try to develop a truly transparent audio recording system. You can read about it here: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound.

Over the years we have been developing new, more transparent, calibrations that we have applied to all our recordings (we can do that because all our albums have been recorded using the same physical setup). Here is a link to our catalogue where you can see all our productions: http://www.playclassics.com/albums

I would be delighted to share this latest version with you all. Many of you already have our releases on some of our previous calibrations and it would be very useful to us to have your feedback on this latest one.

Please let me know which two albums you would like to try and I will be happy to send you a gift code, ...and as always: Enjoy :)
Would love to hear cabrera plays debussy and conversations by enrique bernaldo if possible :)

ChrisH

I would enjoy checking out the Mozart/Beethoven quintets, and the Stories album. Thank you!

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Hi, I'd love Cabrera plays Debussy and Stories - Dimitri van Halderen please. Thanks!

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

This is from the other thread:

Unfortunately, my experience of the Wind Quintets was not as happy as MCR01's.
The first, and most obvious, impression was that they sounded extremely bright, to the point of being piercing at times. I definitely felt there was a boost in the presence band, and that made it difficult to assess the soundstage properly.

There have been several reports about these ensemble pieces. Based on those insights I have tried to work something out that I think might solve the "problem".

The thing is, whatever we do to fix this would have to be applied to the other recordings too. If done right, they should all benefit from the changes.

What I have done is quite different from what we had. Everyone is welcome to try this Beta version.

It would be really helpful if we could have your feedback on this matter.

P.D. I have only done the first movement of the Poulenc. If this works I will do some complete albums so we can asses it properly.

LarsF

Hi, I would enjoy The Goldberg variation and Stories, The Romantic Spanish Guitar

Christian t

Hello Mario,

I would love to receive the codes for :

Stories - Dimitri van Halderen

Cabrera plays Debussy - Angel Cabrera

thanks in advance,

Christian

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Hello everyone,

we now have a new version that addresses that issues that were reported on 2.1j

Sorry it took so long but after trying some beta versions that were just simple corrections over 2.1j we had to recalibrate from scratch to come up with something that would solve the issues without being "arbitrary".

You can listen to this new version (that would be version 2.2b) on our web page streamer (http://www.playclassics.com/streaming). You would be listening to a LAME MP3 VBR file. Even though that is a low resolution file I think it will probably serve the purpose to be able to feel the different balance that this calibration achieves across all albums.

Let me know how you feel about it. We are looking for a final calibration, ...we thought we had it with the previous calibration, but I am glad we went though the process once again because I really think it was worth it...

pma

Major Contributor
This came up on our first thread: PlayClassics TRT v2.0 master file giveaway for ASR members

Let me lay it out here again for everyone who is new to it.
You can use this SPL file to calibrate the volume of your system to the volume of the actual performance.
The file is a 40 second stereo pink noise at -20dB. You can download it on any of our regular formats (Master, DVD, CD, MP3)
While playing this file (in stereo), adjust the volume of your system until your SPL meter reads 75dB at your listening point.

Here are the links to the files:

TRTsound_SPL75dB_master
TRTsound_SPL75dB_dvd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_mp3

Have fun :)

Hello Mario,

it seems that the links do not work anymore. However, it is easy to generate the pink noise files in Arta or Audacity, e.g.
Please confirm the -20dB level that you have mentioned, what is it exactly related to. If one generates the pink noise file at "-20dB level", the resulting file would read -30dBrms when analyzed, due to spectral decay of amplitude of the pink noise with frequency. 10dB makes a huge difference in the SPL measurement and perceived loudness. I believe that the correct value then is 65dB SPL, and it seems realistic by listening to your music files then.

Regards, Pavel

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please confirm the -20dB level that you have mentioned, what is it exactly related to.
SoX stats:
Code:
]$ sox TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd.flac -n stats
             Overall     Left      Right
DC offset  -0.000041 -0.000041 -0.000041
Min level  -0.443176 -0.443085 -0.443176
Max level   0.513428  0.513397  0.513428
Pk lev dB      -5.79     -5.79     -5.79
RMS lev dB    -21.24    -21.24    -21.24
RMS Pk dB     -14.40    -14.40    -14.40
RMS Tr dB     -22.88    -22.88    -22.88
Crest factor       -      5.92      5.92