• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics TRT v2.1j master file giveaway for ASR members

vavan

Mozart - Beethoven Wind Quintets and Modern Times please, thank you!

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi @Mario Martinez I have a question about the spanish guitar album. There's very low frequency infomation on the recording that I'm not sure where it's coming from. At first I thought it was trucks in the distance. But on further listening it sounds like it's coming from inside the recording room. Is it the artists abdomen and leg muscles tension being picked up? Or am i being crazy and its just artifacts from the recording setup?
A good example happens in track 10 around 2 minutes in.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Hi @Mario Martinez I have a question about the spanish guitar album. There's very low frequency infomation on the recording that I'm not sure where it's coming from. At first I thought it was trucks in the distance. But on further listening it sounds like it's coming from inside the recording room. Is it the artists abdomen and leg muscles tension being picked up? Or am i being crazy and its just artifacts from the recording setup?
A good example happens in track 10 around 2 minutes in.

Hi Vini,

I think those noises (from 2:05 to 2:10 for example) are coming from the rubbing of the trousers (jeans) on the flat surface of the chair (which is some kind of textured plastic) while le player readjusts himself for comfort on the chair.

To put it on perspective it might be good to listen to it at real life level. If you have the files I provided for matching your playback to the life level please use them so you can calibrate you playback system volume. Once you have your level set turn it down another 6dB (that would be because the guitar is the only recording that is not in level with everything else, ...classical guitar produces far less volumen than all the other instruments)

At this point you will be hear the recording at the real life level. That would put everything in its place. You will hear the guitar as it is (not a big sound) the breathing of the artist, his moving around, the noise of his fingers on the guitar board at real level volume.

In my case I had to ride up the volume of my playback 20dB during those five seconds of silence to listen to those noises clearly.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Vini,

I think those noises (from 2:05 to 2:10 for example) are coming from the rubbing of the trousers (jeans) on the flat surface of the chair (which is some kind of textured plastic) while le player readjusts himself for comfort on the chair.

To put it on perspective it might be good to listen to it at real life level. If you have the files I provided for matching your playback to the life level please use them so you can calibrate you playback system volume. Once you have your level set turn it down another 6dB (that would be because the guitar is the only recording that is not in level with everything else, ...classical guitar produces far less volumen than all the other instruments)

At this point you will be hear the recording at the real life level. That would put everything in its place. You will hear the guitar as it is (not a big sound) the breathing of the artist, his moving around, the noise of his fingers on the guitar board at real level volume.

In my case I had to ride up the volume of my playback 20dB during those five seconds of silence to listen to those noises clearly.
Hi can you please describe how to set real life sound level? Are there calibration tracks needed? May be you can specify pink noise SPL level to set?

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

This came up on our first thread: PlayClassics TRT v2.0 master file giveaway for ASR members

Let me lay it out here again for everyone who is new to it.

You can use this SPL file to calibrate the volume of your system to the volume of the actual performance.

The file is a 40 second stereo pink noise at -20dB. You can download it on any of our regular formats (Master, DVD, CD, MP3)

While playing this file (in stereo), adjust the volume of your system until your SPL meter reads 75dB at your listening point.

All our recordings (except for the guitar) are recorded with the same level, so once you calibrate you playback system you will be hearing all the recordings at real live level.

The guitar is 6dB softer than this. If you wanted to get real live levels of the guitar you would have to turn the volume down by 6dB.

Here are the links to the files:

TRTsound_SPL75dB_master
TRTsound_SPL75dB_dvd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_mp3

Have fun :)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi Mario thankyou for the reply and advice. I haven't listened to the album with speakers yet , mine are poorly and would butcher it. Been using my phone with isolating headphones late at night for that anechoic expierance. I dont have the gear to measure spl from headphones. I'll download the test track and get the level right on speakers then ballpark the headphones.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good evening Mario,
I downloaded those files at last and had a (very) brief listening (speakers, always & only).
Just my first opinion; the instruments are very natural. That's the beauty and reason I like acoustic instruments so much - you can't cheat here !

But it seems that in Stories (romantic guitar) & particularly Conversations, the microphone is placed very near to the instruments. That brings the sound really forward and almost if my head is on the level of the keyboard or guitar strings.
My listening position was this time about 2m (maybe too close).
However your post and reply to Vini #66 explains that result. Probably it was too loud.
I couldn't listen to modern times yet, as I have a sudden issue with my topping D90 USB input. No sound via USB any more. Not due to the computer (the cable is surely OK though).

PS, for your info: I couldn't unzip one title in Conversation master flac.

I will have time to listen this w-e and will follow the recommendation of SPL 75db and -6db for the guitar then ;)

Thanks again !

modern times

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi Sal !

Nice to hear from you again. I am glad to see you have some new gear. Let's try it out see how things turn out there.

We have an album you might have not heard yet. We published it this past June. You might want to try it out so you can get a clean start with your new system :)

Its the Rachmaninoff Etudes-Tableaux by Bruno Vlahek.
Hi Mario,
Sorry for my procrastination before answering your posts, I've been quite busy lately.
Yes I'd very much like a code for the Rachmaninoff album you mentioned above.
Also please a code for Stories - Dimitri Van Halderen.
Thanks again for your generosity to our members and myself!
Stay safe and healthy,
Ciao, Sal

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Hi Mario,

Do you have some Blues music recordings, or Opera, or Bossa Nova, or Samba, or Tango?

Ty

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Hello Mario, what a nice initiative — when the source isn’t good, the best system won’t rescue it. The calibration files are an excellent idea, and help to solve the playback level conundrum. If the offer still stands, I would like to try the Mozart and Beethoven quintets, and Albeniz’s Iberia. Thanks!

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Hi Mario,

Do you have some Blues music recordings, or Opera, or Bossa Nova, or Samba, or Tango?

Ty

Just what you see on the catalogue. Since you mention Opera, you might be interested on the soprano or tenor albums you can listen to them online see if they are to your liking..

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

But it seems that in Stories (romantic guitar) & particularly Conversations, the microphone is placed very near to the instruments. That brings the sound really forward and almost if my head is on the level of the keyboard or guitar strings.
My listening position was this time about 2m (maybe too close).
However your post and reply to Vini #66 explains that result. Probably it was too loud.

I see, ...please try calibrating your volume see how it turns out. You are also mentioning something about your listening position. Whatever distance you have just make sure your are complying with the standard speaker placement. This is just so we can make sure that what you report is not an issue with the system placement or volume but with the recording itself.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi Mario,
I would love to hear the Mozart/Beethoven Quintets and Dimitri Van Helderen's Spanish guitar.
Thank you!
James

pierre

Forum Donor
Dear friends from ASR,

Last time I posted on this forum we were at calibration version 2.0f. Lots of things have happened since then...

We kept working on our transparency quest and came across some new developments that have finally produced some results.

Just last week we updated our servers with new versions of all our albums. They have all been updated to calibration 2.1j.

For those who might not know about our project we are using a fixed recording setup to try to develop a truly transparent audio recording system. You can read about it here: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound.

Over the years we have been developing new, more transparent, calibrations that we have applied to all our recordings (we can do that because all our albums have been recorded using the same physical setup). Here is a link to our catalogue where you can see all our productions: http://www.playclassics.com/albums

I would be delighted to share this latest version with you all. Many of you already have our releases on some of our previous calibrations and it would be very useful to us to have your feedback on this latest one.

Please let me know which two albums you would like to try and I will be happy to send you a gift code, ...and as always: Enjoy :)

hi Mario,

i did listen to the lossy version and I do like them.
can I get harmonie du soir and the Goldberg variation please?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This came up on our first thread: PlayClassics TRT v2.0 master file giveaway for ASR members

You can use this SPL file to calibrate the volume of your system to the volume of the actual performance.

The file is a 40 second stereo pink noise at -20dB. You can download it on any of our regular formats (Master, DVD, CD, MP3)

While playing this file (in stereo), adjust the volume of your system until your SPL meter reads 75dB at your listening point.

All our recordings (except for the guitar) are recorded with the same level, so once you calibrate you playback system you will be hearing all the recordings at real live level.

The guitar is 6dB softer than this. If you wanted to get real live levels of the guitar you would have to turn the volume down by 6dB.

TRTsound_SPL75dB_master
TRTsound_SPL75dB_dvd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_mp3

Thanks for the reminder, this is a very cool option to have available.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

TRTsound_SPL75dB_master
TRTsound_SPL75dB_dvd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd
TRTsound_SPL75dB_mp3

Very cool Monsieur Mario ^
_____

☆ These would be my two selections sir:

20201003_225109.jpg

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Here is an update of how we are doing.

We have given out 93 albums so far...

This is the list of the most wanted :)
23 petitions of Mozart Beethoven wind quintets.
15 of Modern Times
13 of Stories
9 Rachmaninoff
9 Goldberg Variations.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I would like Stories and Breton String Quartets Nos. 1 and 3.

Top Bottom