• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics TRT sound (calibration 2.4) album premiere

Mario Martinez

We have come up with some developments that I would like to share with you all.

We have two new albums that we are about to release that feature a new version of our calibration (that would be calibration 2.4)

It would be really helpful for us if you could have a listen and give us some testimonials we can use to quote them in our marketing announcements.

Here is a link to each of the albums:

http://www.playclassics.com/album16

http://www.playclassics.com/album17

If you would like to try the master version of any of these two albums on your systems please let me know which one is your pick and I will be glad to send you a gift code.

P.S. it has been a long time since I last posted on the forum, ....I just hope you are all doing ok

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi Mario good to see you here with another great music offering. I personally really like the duet , around the world. I would ask what's changed in your new calibration but suspect I wouldn't understand anyway. The sample mp3 is very enjoyable. Will be happy to give feed back dispite limited my understanding.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

ok, I just sent you the codes, thanks for listening!

At least I will try to explain.

Our older calibrations just dealt with tone. This new calibration deals with tone and dynamics.

The purpose of the calibration is still the same: our project objective is to try to develop a fixed recording system that is completely transparent to try to eliminate the need for post production processes that are subjective and deviate the sound of the recoding from the sound of the original instruments on stage.

For those who are new to our project here is a link that explains our doings... http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to see you posting here again Mario and that you are okay.

I'd like to try "Around the World" album 17.

labdoc

Hi Mario,
Nice to see you back at the forum and to learn that the project continues. I would like to hear the "Around the World" album
Murray

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Hi Mario, I’ve been listing to this album for the last week or so, and have been reading the liner notes of course. Do you have any further information about the venue where this was recorded and the instruments played, that you can share?

tuga

Major Contributor
Hi Mario, I’ve been listing to this album for the last week or so, and have been reading the liner notes of course. Do you have any further information about the venue where this was recorded and the instruments played, that you can share?
Maybe this will help:

"We are dedicated to chamber music. We are purposely recording this music in a way that resembles its original setup.

Our auditorium is a small hall, much the size of the palace chambers used to perform chamber music back in the XIX century. This type of space (when treated correctly) provides a much warmer more intimate sound experience. The instruments are in the middle of the room and people are seating all around them. The sound is direct (you are very close to the instruments), yet there is a bit of reverb from the room (but never quite as much as you would have in a large hall)

We need a piano to play chamber music without overriding the other instruments. We tried several pianos on our hall to try to find one with just the right amount of power. A full size grand and two 7 foot pianos. Full size grands are way to powerful for this kind of setup. Of the two 7 foot pianos, we chose the more powerful one plus we liked the tone better.

So this is it:

The piano is a 7 foot Yamaha (25 years old)

The mics are 11'6" away from the piano (ORTF setup)"

IomhWAj.jpg

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Maybe this will help:

Thank you, it does help and answers several questions. I was mostly wondering about the piano. The winds in the pieces on this album (Mozart K. 452 and Beethoven Op. 16) are obviously modern instruments, but the piano didn’t sound at all like your typical concert hall Steinway. If it is indeed a 7ft Yamaha then this would explain it (I haven’t heard many of those). It makes a very good impression, not as good for 18th century chamber music as a fortepiano, but much better than the dreaded Steinway.

Top Bottom