• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Mario, I like to listen to your files in mono, through 1 speaker. Please take it as a positive comment, not the negative one.

That is interesting...

We use an ORTF mic setup. That means that the right and left channels have dynamic and timing differences (dynamic because they are oriented in different directions and timing because they are spaced apart). This setup is very good for building stereo image, but "supposed" to be not so good when played in mono.

"In theory", if you are going to record something that is going to be played in stereo and mono, you "should" use a coincidental technique. One with both mics on the same axis so that the stereo image will be created only by dynamic differences (no timing differences).

If you play both channels through one single speaker the dynamic differences disappear and only the timing differences remain. So a mono reproduction of a recording made with a coincidental technique will sound almost as if it had been recorded using just one mic while a mono reproduction of a recording made with ORTF will still have this timing differences which are supposed to be not advisable (again, that is: not advisable "in theory")

What I think might be happening here is that a coincidental technique in mono just sounds dull, while ORTF, despite of not being theoretically proper, will still have that extra timing info that far from being "wrong" makes it "interesting" (we could say it adds a bit of a choir effect to the attacks)

Maybe the fact that the recording is very clean to begin with also helps alleviate the negative effects that to much timing info could produce during the mono playback.

Reactions: pma

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Finally had a chance to listen. I am... astounded. And jealous.

Mario is clever- for one free download to me, he'll end up selling me several other albums. And almost everyone I play these for will want them.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Finally had a chance to listen. I am... astounded. And jealous.

Mario is clever- for one free download to me, he'll end up selling me several other albums. And almost everyone I play these for will want them.

I can help there :)

How about I open a new thread with an offer to get three masters at mp3 price, ...would that help?

It would be something like "Get 3 Masters for 27€"

It would also be a good opportunity for people to "update" the old versions they might have from previous giveaways...

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Let me ask something which you probably answered but I missed- what's the difference between "master" and "CD"?

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

We offer all our albums in these different formats:

- Master: 24bit 96kHz (available in flac and wav)
- DVD: 24bit 48kHz (available in flac and wav)
- CD: 16bit 44.1kHz (available in flac and wav)
- MP3: VBR 48kHz

When you purchase the master you can download any or all of these formats (which is a good thing in case you want to do some format comparison test for yourself)

maty

Major Contributor
I like very much: Luis Grané - Albéniz - Iberia
http://www.playclassics.com/album4

http://www.playclassics.com/streaming

PlayClassics-streaming-Grane-Luis-Albeniz-Iberia.png

I have to increase a lot the volume amplifier so I guess the tracks have high dynamic range!

http://www.luisgrane.com/biografia-luis-grane
http://www.luisgrane.com/en/biografia-luis-grane

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Luis+Grane+Albeniz

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
...It would be something like "Get 3 Masters for 27€"

It would also be a good opportunity for people to "update" the old versions they might have from previous giveaways...

I was thinking of buying two masters, one of them from Luis Grané. I will wait for your offer.

WOW, just now: El Corpus en Sevilla, impressive sound! I LOVE my modded KEF Q100 5.25" coaxials!!!

Last edited:
OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

If it is possible, I am also very interested. I have done the check à 75 db, with the streaming option but it is looking quite loud...

Just to make sure you are listening at the right level...

The SPL file is a stereo file. You have to play it in stereo through both speakers at the same time (just as if you were playing regular music)

Place your mic at your listening position pointing directly up to the ceiling.

While playing this file, adjust the volume of your system until your SPL meter reads 75dB(C) at your listening point.

That would be the volume of the actual performance (listening from the place where the man in red is standing on our sketch)

All our recordings (except for the guitar) are recorded with the same level, so once you calibrate you playback system you will be hearing all the recordings at real live level.

The guitar is 6dB softer than this. If you wanted to get real live levels of the guitar you would have to turn the volume down by 6dB.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Thank you Mario! Excellent recording! Roon read a DR of 12. Still loud if I use calibration, but I measured the 75 db with my Iphone...

You might need to use something like a Umik-1. Those come with a calibration file so you make sure the readings are worth something. If the iphone is not calibrated it might be throwing you off...

Last edited:

cfritze64

i’m late to the party, but would also love a codec please. Thank you

- Christian

tonyo123

Mario, same here. Would appreciate a code for the album and thank you in advance.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

maty

Major Contributor
I was just modifiyng in Process Lasso my W10 Pro optimization for multimedia when your comment has been skipped. Now the Ángel Cabrera's piano sounds better than days ago!

Added to JRiver MC 25: Induce Performance Mode + Bitsum Highest Performance

Process-Lasso-JRMCv25-Induce-performance-Bitsum-high-profile.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom