• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

I was surprised that I had to adulterate the sound and so I have been investigating. The problem was mine. I have been optimizing Win 10 for days (after the KEF Q100 crossover improvement) and sometimes I pee it.

This is the fourth or fifth time I listen to the album. In addition to the convolution filter for the loudspeakers, I only add 1.5 ms of delay, it is what you have to hear usually in the near field.

Until the sound is a bit dry for what I am used to.

foobar2000 with KS: JRVAD Wave output -> JRiver MC with DSP (1.5 ms) + Convolver

PS: months ago the best sound was with DSD : KS : JRVAD Wave output.

I am glad to hear that. Thank you maty.

maty

Major Contributor
From now I will use it as a reference.

Bit dry, maybe the explanation: I usually listen to very good vinyl rips with high / very high DR from analogue masters, a little euphonic sound :)

Omar Cumming

I would humbly request a code as well.

Thanks

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Thank you Mr. Goodbits. That is some wonderful feedback!
I will sure be using it to try to convince the big labels to record with us :)
I am very happy you liked it.

I was just now listening to a Mozart piano sonata from another label, an excellent performance and fairly good recording (a little heavy on the ambience and distance), and I found myself really wishing they had used your recording method.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
From now I will use it as a reference.

Bit dry, maybe the explanation: I usually listen to very good vinyl rips with high / very high DR from analogue masters, a little euphonic sound :)
Interesting, my first impression was also that it might be a bit dry. After experimenting I realized that if I adjust the listening level a little higher the instruments really "come to life" in a natural way and in a believable space. Not sure why that would be, but the overall effect was pretty amazing for me.

maty

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes I know it is a "natural" sound. Usually it comes from air condition or ventilation systems. It is a pain in high dynamic recordings and it is almost impossible to remove it during post production and mastering, as you have stated, without affecting the useful sound.
Some very minor, near sub audible level "real world" noise actually can make the recording sound more natural. Just as recording in a completely anechoic environment sounds very unnatural.

pma

Major Contributor
Some very minor, near sub audible level "real world" noise actually can make the recording sound more natural. Just as recording in a completely anechoic environment sounds very unnatural.
Sorry these are pears and apples mixed. Hum is not natural music sound, it is industrial noise. And hum has nothing in common with anechoic/reflexive. If you want more spatial feeling, you need to add distant mikes, so it goes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry these are pears and apples mixed. Hum is not natural music sound, it is industrial noise. And hum has nothing in common with anechoic/reflexive. If you want more spatial feeling, you need to add distant mikes, so it goes.
We'll agree to dis-agree.

Tks

Major Contributor
Any chance these are still being offered? I'd love to hear this run through my system >_>

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what ADC and mics are you using?

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I too late? Would love to hear your work out of my near field Yamaha HS7+HS8S

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Any chance these are still being offered? I'd love to hear this run through my system >_>

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what ADC and mics are you using?

The mics, mic placement and ADC are quite standard. We do not have any affiliations with the brand we use so I would rather not give names.
Anyway, the "secret" to our sound is not in the equipment but in the method used. You can find an explanation of this method at http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

Reactions: Tks
OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Interesting, my first impression was also that it might be a bit dry. After experimenting I realized that if I adjust the listening level a little higher the instruments really "come to life" in a natural way and in a believable space. Not sure why that would be, but the overall effect was pretty amazing for me.

We have an SPL file we have used in the past so that you can calibrate your playback system to the exact level of the real performance.

This does not mean that you have to listen to the music at that level, but it gives you a very good reference point of what real volumes were during the performance (instrument/hall balance)

The file is a 40 second stereo pink noise at -20dB. You can download it on any of our regular formats (Master, DVD, CD, MP3)

While playing this file, adjust the volume of your system until your SPL meter reads 75dB at your listening point.

All our recordings are recorded with the same level, so once you calibrate you playback system you will be hearing all the recordings at real live level.

Here are the links to the files:

TRTsound_SPL75dB_cd.zip
TRTsound_SPL75dB_dvd.zip
TRTsound_SPL75dB_master.zip
TRTsound_SPL75dB_mp3.zip

Have fun :)

DChenery

Forum Donor
So Interested decided to join the club. Any possibility of still getting the code?

Lao Lu

Once more I am coming back to the forum to share our latest work with you all.

Many of you already know about our research and have greatly contributed to making it work with your valuable feedback. I am extremely grateful for this so I would love to share this last work with you which I think represents the summit of what our technology is able to do.

For those who do not know about our project, these recordings are all made with just two mics. No mixing and mastering involved. Just a stereo pickup and a calibrated system to produce the most transparent possible sound. You can read about it at: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

This particular album with sextets for piano and winds by Ravel, Poulenc and Françaix, will be released on February 19th 2020, but as of right now it will be available to all ASR members as a free master file (24/96) download. All you have to do is ask and I will be happy to send you a gift code to download the album.

Of course, as always, feedback is welcome but not mandatory to receive and enjoy your album :)

View attachment 48367

Top Bottom