• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks Mario,
I've listened thru the album a couple times now and must say it's the most natural sounding recording I've ever heard.
I don't know if it's the very transparent quality of the recording or something else but the inner detail seems to provide a clear window to the tonal qualities of the individual instruments. Soundstaging here was eerily real placing the performers before me each in their own unique space.
I own a few other of Play Classic's recordings and found this the best one yet.

Feel free to use this review as you like.
Sal

ob1

Forum Donor
Hello Mario,
If possible, I am also interested in getting a code.

If I recall correctly, Mickey Hart's Dafos (or was it Planet Drum?) was one recording I have particularly enjoyed that employed minimal miking and very little post processing. I look forward to compare your recording :)

Best of luck to you!

SpyB

Hi Mario,
I read through the info on your link very interesting read.

I would also like a code to have a listen / thank you for this offer

lovehertz

Would love to receive a code and hear this recording.

Thanks for making it available to the members here.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for your kind offer - I would definitely appreciate a code as well!

maty

Major Contributor
Great sound but I felt the need to touch up the sound.

I would appreciate more soundstage (minimum phase PEQ -> delay 2 ms). Also a little more bass and, above all, greater piano presence -> more pleasant in my cheap second audio system, with my modded KEF Q100 5.25" coaxials. Before the sound was too much dry.

JRiver Media Center v25.0.114 64 bits. DSP. BBE Harmonic Maximizer (Percussion).

JRiver-MC-DSP-BBE-Harmonic-Maximizer-TRT-Sound.png

Y ¡muchas gracias! Thank you very much.

Last edited:
OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Thanks Mario,
I've listened thru the album a couple times now and must say it's the most natural sounding recording I've ever heard.
I don't know if it's the very transparent quality of the recording or something else but the inner detail seems to provide a clear window to the tonal qualities of the individual instruments. Soundstaging here was eerily real placing the performers before me each in their own unique space.
I own a few other of Play Classic's recordings and found this the best one yet.

Feel free to use this review as you like.
Sal

You have been listening to our developments ever since we started sharing on this type of threads (back on 2015). So coming from you, to say that this was the best of our productions means a lot to me. Thank you very much for your kind testimonial. I will sure be using it :)

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had sent this to Mario, and he asked me to post. Thanks Mario, very nice production.

Some feedback (as I sit at intermission in a live chamber concert, to compare) [and edit upon second listening]

The tonality was natural without the usual brightness from many hifi recordings. It took a bit of adjustment. Instrument placement was broad and precise.

I noticed significantly less apparent room acoustic than usual recordings (or live). Perhaps a trade off to guard clarity in the absence of brightness? Edit: on second listening, late decay is pleasant and ample, but to me it sounds like early reflections are less than usual recordings or live. I see many classical/chamber concerts (4 or 5 this month) however these are always in churches or halls with ample earlier reflections. From Mario's description of the recording set up, it makes sense that early reflections are less plentiful than I would be accustomed. Unusual (for me) but not unpleasant at all. Provides a more hifi level of clarity without being any way artificial.

I also noticed a couple instances of clipping but nothing too severe, and [retracted I was overdriving the amp] The dynamic was natural and wide.

Thanks again for the opportunity to listen and provide feedback, it was enjoyable and unique.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: Tks

labdoc

Hi Mario, I have a couple of solo piano recordings from you which I enjoy. I would like to hear the chamber group. Please send a code

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

I also noticed a couple instances of clipping but nothing too severe, and the dynamic was natural and wide.

Thanks for the feedback. I am interested on this clipping issue you are describing.

The original files do not have any clipping. The max peak of the files measures below 0dB.

We have not experienced any clipping in any of our systems.

It would be very useful for us to know the exact spot (minute and second) where you experienced this.

It would also help to have other members check those same sports so see if they experience this same issue.

I am just trying to rule out is the problem is system related or if there is a problem with the file that we may not be aware of.

pma

Major Contributor
It was during a piano passage and one other place. I have very high power and low distortion amp (NC400) and never hear clipping playing similar recordings at sensible levels but this is a very clean recording and it's possible that I played it at higher levels than normal (very clean recordings don't sound as loud as less clean ones) and clipped the amp. I won't discount that possibility.

Could you at least identify the track? Which of the tracks it was? It would be at least some hint. If you even did not know the track, it would be much better not to write about the "issue".

pma

Major Contributor
There is only one small issue, a constant industrial 50-60 Hz hum in the background. Looks like air condition or ventilation system? Except of that, I am very satisfied with the sound. Good job!

Just to specify, for example track 1.05, Allegro vicace, time 2:02 - 2:15, low volume (-50dBFS) passages.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Listening to it now. Wow. Instruments are clear and believable, very naturally detailed but smooth. If I turn it way up nothing makes me cringe. The space sounds effortlessly open and wide; does not artificially emphasize the ambience and acoustics. I think PlayClassics has designed an excellent recording methodology. These may become my new reference tracks.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Just to specify, for example track 1.05, Allegro vicace, time 2:02 - 2:15, low volume (-50dBFS) passages.

I have looked it up. Yes, there is some background noise at about 52Hz. It is from the real world (I mean it is a real noise, not something created by the recording chain)

Our mics are placed outside of the stage area (just like a listener would be). They pick up everything around them not just the music from the stage (just like a human would).

You could get rid of this kind of noises in post production. Applying a gate would "erase" everything below a certain level giving you the feel of complete silence, but the problem with these kind of things is that they do not just get rid of the noises, they get rid of everything under a certain level (when I say everything I mean all the sound of the instruments below that level would also get wiped out) that is why we do not use any of that.

maty

Major Contributor
I was surprised that I had to adulterate the sound and so I have been investigating. The problem was mine. I have been optimizing Win 10 for days (after the KEF Q100 crossover improvement) and sometimes I pee it.

This is the fourth or fifth time I listen to the album. In addition to the convolution filter for the loudspeakers, I only add 1.5 ms of delay, it is what you have to hear usually in the near field.

Until the sound is a bit dry for what I am used to.

foobar2000 with KS: JRVAD Wave output -> JRiver MC with DSP (1.5 ms) + Convolver, KS output

KS = Kernel Streaming

PS: months ago the best sound was with DSD : KS : JRVAD Wave output.

Last edited:
OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

Listening to it now. Wow. Instruments are clear and believable, very naturally detailed but smooth. If I turn it way up nothing makes me cringe. The space sounds effortlessly open and wide; does not artificially emphasize the ambience and acoustics. I think PlayClassics has designed an excellent recording methodology. These may become my new reference tracks.

Thank you Mr. Goodbits. That is some wonderful feedback!
I will sure be using it to try to convince the big labels to record with us :)
I am very happy you liked it.

pma

Major Contributor
I have looked it up. Yes, there is some background noise at about 52Hz. It is from the real world (I mean it is a real noise, not something created by the recording chain)

Yes I know it is a "natural" sound. Usually it comes from air condition or ventilation systems. It is a pain in high dynamic recordings and it is almost impossible to remove it during post production and mastering, as you have stated, without affecting the useful sound. Sometimes Adobe Audition noise sampling and removal helps, but probably not in this case. I will try and tell the result.

Top Bottom