• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would like to listen to you master. If you could spare me a code.

darko

Forum Donor
Would love to get a code as well. Thank you in advance!

TimF

Forum Donor
Me too. Me too. I love this music.

noobie1

Would like to listen. Thanks in advance.

Once more I am coming back to the forum to share our latest work with you all.

Many of you already know about our research and have greatly contributed to making it work with your valuable feedback. I am extremely grateful for this so I would love to share this last work with you which I think represents the summit of what our technology is able to do.

For those who do not know about our project, these recordings are all made with just two mics. No mixing and mastering involved. Just a stereo pickup and a calibrated system to produce the most transparent possible sound. You can read about it at: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

This particular album with sextets for piano and winds by Ravel, Poulenc and Françaix, will be released on February 19th 2020, but as of right now it will be available to all ASR members as a free master file (24/96) download. All you have to do is ask and I will be happy to send you a gift code to download the album.

Of course, as always, feedback is welcome but not mandatory to receive and enjoy your album :)

View attachment 48367

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Would like to listen. Thanks in advance.
For some reason I cannot fin a way to send you a Private Message...
I see the same thing, He likely has Private Messaging blocked in his user account. @noobie1 adjust you account

Master WAV 24/96 -> FLAC 0 1024 kbps 24/96, reference libFLAC 1.3.2 20170101. With foobar2000 1.5.1. Tags added with Mp3tag.
I get the same results from the 24/96 flac files.

Analyzed: Modern Times (Master) / Artist: Harmonie du soir, ensemble.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Title [codec]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR13 -1.90 dB -21.57 dB 3:27 01 - Le Tombeau de Couperin, M. 68a: I. Prélude. [flac]
DR14 -4.54 dB -23.16 dB 6:05 02 - Le Tombeau de Couperin, M. 68a: II. Forlane. [flac]
DR15 -3.00 dB -23.91 dB 4:30 03 - Le Tombeau de Couperin, M. 68a: III. Menuet. [flac]
DR16 -0.08 dB -21.89 dB 3:12 04 - Le Tombeau de Couperin, M. 68a: IV. Rigaudon. [flac]
DR15 -0.08 dB -20.31 dB 7:41 05 - Sextet for piano and winds, Op. 100: I. Allegro vivace. [flac]
DR13 -3.57 dB -23.22 dB 4:13 06 - Sextet for piano and winds, Op. 100: II. Divertissement. [flac]
DR15 -0.14 dB -20.96 dB 5:36 07 - Sextet for piano and winds, Op. 100: III. Finale. [flac]
DR12 -6.53 dB -22.72 dB 2:25 08 - L'heure du berger: I. Les Vieux Beaux. [flac]
DR15 -0.08 dB -24.58 dB 2:16 09 - L'heure du berger: II. Pin-up Girls. [flac]
DR15 -0.11 dB -20.62 dB 3:10 10 - L'heure du berger: III. Les petits nerveux. [flac]
DR14 -5.56 dB -25.01 dB 7:01 11 - Adagio from piano concerto in G major, M. 83. [flac]
Number of files: 11
Official DR value: DR14

Sampling rate: 96000 Hz
Average bitrate: 2237kbs
Bits per sample: 24 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16

Reactions: Tks

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got the code and after burning the first one on my smartphone:oops: got a second which worked on my Windows Notebook. Thanks a lot for your gratefulness.

Here are my personal subjective opinions about the sound. Regarding my aging ears take them with a grain or a bucket of salt.;)
  • Had a listen on my main system, a pair of small 3-way studio monitors with sub. 3.5 m triangle, 30 degree toe in, 1m distance to wall, sub close to wall.
  • Room EQ below Schroedinger with manual parametric equalizer, measured with Behringer ECM 8000.
  • The room is relatively big (50 squaremeter) but quite dry (3 walls with furniture or book shelfs, left wall mostly windows) living room. There are not many reflections and it is not typical - most systems I have seen or heard are in higher reflective surroundings.
  • The sound is very clean and transparent.
  • The soundstage does not reach outside the speaker base. I had expected a somewhat broader soundstage.
  • It seems that the room where the recording took part is quite dry as well (which helps regarding transparency).
I read the information on your homepage. I'm not sure that it is possible to keep to your strict rules when recording a full symphonic orchestra though. The dynamic will be very high and there are very few customers who have a system which is able to play such an unprocessed recording.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I would appreciate a copy. Thank you.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Many of you already know about our research and have greatly contributed to making it work with your valuable feedback. I am extremely grateful for this so I would love to share this last work with you which I think represents the summit of what our technology is able to do.

For those who do not know about our project, these recordings are all made with just two mics. No mixing and mastering involved. Just a stereo pickup and a calibrated system to produce the most transparent possible sound. You can read about it at: http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

This particular album with sextets for piano and winds by Ravel, Poulenc and Françaix, will be released on February 19th 2020, but as of right now it will be available to all ASR members as a free master file (24/96) download. All you have to do is ask and I will be happy to send you a gift code to download the album.

Of course, as always, feedback is welcome but not mandatory to receive and enjoy your album :)

View attachment 48367
This is very generous. I'd love to hear these. Can I ask how the 2 mics were arranged? Is it classic Blumlein?

dmac6419

Major Contributor

View attachment 48367
Send me a gift code as well,thank you

Emdub

If there are any spare gift codes still laying around, I would be delighted to get one.
cheers and a big thank you.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got the code and after burning the first one on my smartphone:oops: got a second which worked on my Windows Notebook. Thanks a lot for your gratefulness.

Here are my personal subjective opinions about the sound. Regarding my aging ears take them with a grain or a bucket of salt.;)
  • Had a listen on my main system, a pair of small 3-way studio monitors with sub. 3.5 m triangle, 30 degree toe in, 1m distance to wall, sub close to wall.
  • Room EQ below Schroedinger with manual parametric equalizer, measured with Behringer ECM 8000.
  • The room is relatively big (50 squaremeter) but quite dry (3 walls with furniture or book shelfs, left wall mostly windows) living room. There are not many reflections and it is not typical - most systems I have seen or heard are in higher reflective surroundings.
  • The sound is very clean and transparent.
  • The soundstage does not reach outside the speaker base. I had expected a somewhat broader soundstage.
  • It seems that the room where the recording took part is quite dry as well (which helps regarding transparency).
I read the information on your homepage. I'm not sure that it is possible to keep to your struct rules when recording a full symphonic orchestra though. The dynamic will be very high and there are very few customers who have a system which is able to play such an unprocessed recording.

The same experience here.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be grateful for a code as well. Awesome idea.

levimax

Major Contributor
Downloaded and listening now. Sounds excellent. In general I like "direct to disc" / "two mic" / limited production recordings and have collected them over the years. I think the main reason is so much care must be taken before recording begins... it also puts extra pressure on the artists which they usually respond well to. I am not a big "image" person, often I find "fake" stereo images distracting and sometimes find "mono" recordings more realistic and pleasant. In the case of this recording the image is very nice, not intrusive or exaggerated but a nice sound of the "room" and some 3-D space.

Hiten

I enjoy most type of music. Appreciation and thanks for sharing Mario. Please do send me the code. My hearing+system is not good but will surely give feedback. :)
Regards.

Top Bottom