• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Play Classics Reviews, Sound Quality, Feedback

Dominique-T

Just listening the Rachmaninov (études et tableaux). Very nice interpretation, and super recording. The bass are very spectacular... How many microphones are used for this solo piano recording?

Congratulations Mario!

Dominique

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

charleski

Major Contributor
I downloaded the Mozart/Beethoven Wind Quintets and the Albeniz Iberia discs, both in 96/24.

Unfortunately, my experience of the Wind Quintets was not as happy as MCR01's.
The first, and most obvious, impression was that they sounded extremely bright, to the point of being piercing at times. I definitely felt there was a boost in the presence band, and that made it difficult to assess the soundstage properly.
I have a couple of recordings of these works, so decided to compare them in Audition. The TRT recordings were 5-6dB louder than the others I have, so they were amplified as necessary to yield an identical integrated loudness (I listen with replay gain on, which largely negates this volume difference). Here is a frequency scan of the first movement of the Mozart Quartet with the TRT Harmonie du Soir recording in magenta and the recording by Murray Perahia and the ECO Soloists in green:
TRT-Perahia.jpg
And here is a comparison with the recording by Robert Levin and AAM Chamber Ensemble (same colours):
TRT-Levin.jpg

It's quite noticeable that there's a broad lift of almost 10dB around 1kHz, and about a 5dB depression around 10kHz. This corresponds quite well with what I heard.

Obviously these are three different recordings, each with different microphone placements and recording techniques, so you would expect some differences in tonality. But since we're looking at the same piece of music here, the overall frequency curve should be largely the same, and if we compare the Perahia and Levin recordings, this is what we see:
Perahia-Levin.jpg
The TRT recording is dramatically different, though, and to be honest I would, unfortunately, have difficulty living with it on a long-term basis. It's just too bright for me.

Mario Martinez

Unfortunately, my experience of the Wind Quintets was not as happy as MCR01's.
The first, and most obvious, impression was that they sounded extremely bright, to the point of being piercing at times. I definitely felt there was a boost in the presence band, and that made it difficult to assess the soundstage properly.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. This kind of comments are really helpful to us.

Based on your insight I have tried to work something out that I think would solve those issues.

The thing is, whatever we do to fix this would have to be applied to the other recordings too. If done right, they should all benefit from the changes.

What I have done (based on your comments) is quite different from what we had. It would be really helpful if you could listen to it, see if it fixes the problem.

I am sending it to you on a PM...

P.D. If anybody else wants to try please say so, so I can send it to you too.

Mario Martinez

Mario, thanks for asking for my opinion. I would like to be of help, but I doubt I can.
I struggle to hear a difference, which leads me to believe that either the issue you're addressing differs from the one I mean, or the adjustment is so subtle that my ears are not capable of appreciating it.

Hi Bart, yes, the change is very slight and it might not even be related to the problem you were referring to.

Base on the comments by charleski I have worked on something quite different from what we had. This time the difference should be quite obvious. I am sending it to you so you can try it too. Please let me know if it improves in any way.

I hope I am not abusing your time but this kind of "experiments" are extremely helpful.

charleski

Major Contributor
Thanks, Mario.
I’ve listened to this several times over the past few days, and yes, it’s a definite improvement.
The obvious difference to most recordings is one of perspective. Most classical releases are miced and mixed to produce a ‘concert hall’ sound, whereas this sounds more like I’d got a small band to set up in my living room. This required a bit of recalibration on my part the first time I heard it, but I found myself increasingly enjoying the different perspective on repeated listens.
The only quibble I’d give is that the opening 2 seconds or so somehow feel a bit small and shut-in, like listening in an excessively small space. But this goes away quite rapidly and may be a cognitive effect.
The intimate presentation provided here ends up producing a quite convincing impression of depth and layering within the ensemble, which is quite impressive. Most attempts to mix in an illusion of depth end up adding a bit too much chamber ambience which ends up sounding artificial, but this is not the case here.
The tonality is fine and I’d have to say the piano and oboe sound particularly good.

I’m not that familiar with Poulenc, but hunted down a version of the Sextet released by Naxos on my streaming service. That version was mixed with a lot of reverberation from the room, possibly too much. I think your version is superior, an impression that grew stronger the more I compared them, and I could quite easily live with this recording.

smallricey

I want to chime in on the review, I tested
Ad Astra and Modern Times and compared to another Brenno Ambrosini - Liszt and Academia Wind Quintet.

I'm listening for clarity, instrument separation, and ground noise.
The recording def. did a phenomenal job on these part.
I can tell the difference comparing to the Academia Win Quintet recording against Modern Time.
However, Liszt and Ad Astra are both great and not sure if I could tell the difference.

Thanks for the opportunity.

jmtocali

Hello Mario,

First many thanks for that wonderful gift. I listened to Modern Times and Iberia in 24/96. Both discs are superbly executed by the musicians.
Loved the arrangement of the second movement of Ravel's Piano Concerto.

The two recordings are excellent, great clarity and transparency. Sound is neutral, pretty natural, the balance between the instruments in Modern Times just perfect for chamber music. Iberia is a piece very close to me, I was introduced to it at 16 with a very good colombian performer, Blanca Uribe. Loved the version and the piano recording is very good in dynamics and pretty natural, without extra reverberation.

Congratulations for the excellent job.

Top Bottom