• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Plant of Asahi Kasei Microsystems on fire.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The semiconductor plant of Asahi Kasei Microsystems, which everyone knows about ADC DAC, has caught fire and the fire has finally subsided....

This is news(japanese only):
https://www.the-miyanichi.co.jp/kennai/_48297.html

Since this plant was previously interviewed as a manufacturing plant when the AK4499 was released, it seems certain that it is manufacturing semiconductors for high-end DACs.( It's unclear if they manufacture high-end ADCs, but the possibilities are high. )
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/1179512.html

I am very concerned about the supply and trends of audio products in the future.

Damn! That's terrible.

PS: Can you change the title of this thread to "Plant of Asahi Kasei Microsystems is *on* fire "? "Is fire" is a slang term that means something like "is awesome". I clicked on this thread thinking that's what you meant. Not a huge deal, but if it's easy to change, it might save some confusion.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

That was 18 years ago...

1603437303399.png

Even I was on fire back then...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the plant in Japan doesn't make DAC chips?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM_Semiconductor,_Inc.

"AKM Semiconductor, Inc. (AKMS) is a semiconductor manufacturer headquartered in San Jose, California. It is subsidiary of Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) based in Tokyo, Japan."

Elsewhere they are mentioned as a "fabless" manufacturer, so, who knows where they might be made...
Elves make them.
1603438897996.png

OP
F

foverick

Damn! That's terrible.

PS: Can you change the title of this thread to "Plant of Asahi Kasei Microsystems is *on* fire "? "Is fire" is a slang term that means something like "is awesome". I clicked on this thread thinking that's what you meant. Not a huge deal, but if it's easy to change, it might save some confusion.
Oh, Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Press Release: in Japanese - https://www.asahi-kasei.com/jp/news/2020/ip4ep30000001riz-att/ze201021_2.pdf

October 21, 2020 Asahi Kasei Corporation Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd.

Regarding the fire at the semiconductor manufacturing plant (Apology)

Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Asahi Kasei Corporation) located in Nobeoka City, Miyazaki Prefecture at around 16:45 yesterday.

A fire broke out at the semiconductor manufacturing plant (Production Center No. 2 Manufacturing Department).

We deeply apologize for the great concern and inconvenience caused to many people, including local residents, customers, related companies, and related authorities.

Fire extinguishing work is still ongoing at 21:30 on October 21 (Wednesday).

We will continue to work on early convergence in cooperation with the relevant authorities, including the fire department and police, with the highest priority on ensuring local safety.

1. Location of occurrence 5-4960 Nakagawaramachi, Nobeoka City, Miyazaki Prefecture Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd. Production Center No. 2 Manufacturing Department (Asahi Kasei Microsystem Co., Ltd. Nobeoka Office)

2. Date and time of occurrence and current status October 20 (Tuesday) 16:45 After the fire broke out, contact the fire department, police, and other related organizations. As of 21:30 on October 21 (Wednesday), the fire extinguishing work by the public fire department is ongoing.

3. Damage situation There is no human damage to employees. The manufacturing department manufactured semiconductor integrated circuits (LSIs), but the impact on property damage and business performance is unknown at this time. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time, but we will inform you again after the details are known.

[Inquiries regarding this matter] Asahi Kasei Corporation Public Relations Department TEL: 03-6699-3008

---

News: https://technews.tw/2020/10/22/asahi-kasei-microsystems-semiconductor-factory-fire/

"Asahi Kasei pointed out that this factory mainly produces large-scale integrated circuits (LSI) for audio equipment, home appliances and other products. The impact of the fire on the supply and performance is still unknown, and it is currently under investigation.

According to Japanese media, the above-mentioned factory where the fire broke out is the only LSI production base of AKM, but AKM has previously entrusted some LSI production to external companies. After the fire broke out, the factory currently stops production."

1603516981759.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Amir needs to use this method to illustrate filter response in his DAC reviews.

You are so right! There's slow, fast, brickwall and all the others. Awesome, how did you see that? *amazed*

paddycrow

Forum Donor
So did they make the nylon in the Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle I used to own?

Probably not, unless it was woven from filament. I would bet on DuPont, Nylon is their trade name. Other companies refer to it as polyamide. Lots of suppliers of PA66 around the world.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This is all rather unfortunate. Fire at semiconductor production plants rarely means good news (remember it cost us the original Signetics NE5532?), and this looks like it was a big one. Let's hope they were exceptionally well-insured. Few can hold a candle to the Japanese when it comes to disaster recovery, but even so I can't imagine things being back up in less than a year, if that.

raif71

Major Contributor
Now wait for the audiophiles to begin calling AKM based DACs' sound as "hot".
So far never heard as being described as hot, only warm but I guess you're getting warmer. :)

Top Bottom