• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planning to upgrade the, umm, "stack" ?

Mitchell

Why have I not discovered this forum earlier? what a wonderful community.
Anyhow, I've grown tired of my current amplifier, (Behringer A500) I have had for a very long time - gifted to me nearly 10 years ago by my father.

February 15, 2016 purchased a Micca OriGen High Resolution USB DAC and Preamplifier for my desktop computer/ workstation/ gaming rig.
Apr 26, 2019 I replaced the nice JBL bookshelves -borrowed from my father- with a pair of Definitive Technology StudioMonitor55

getting to the point, I've been reading around here and I'm thinking about getting this combo or "stack" (same meaning, right?)
Niles Audio SI-275

Topping NX4 DSD

I've compared the analyses done by Amirm for the aforementioned (excluding the speakers) I'm now confident these will be a huge upgrade in clarity, noise floor, EMI, things. I'm a noob but there is noticeable noise and interference in this configuration.

-insert request for experienced opinions-

will I hear a huge difference? are there even better options for my application? what are your suggestions?
I won't be convinced to spend more than a grand, but go ahead and try if you like :p

OP
Mitchell

Mitchell

Also I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 ohms) for intense gaming, and more analytical listening.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stacks create poor ventilation in some cases, avoid! :) Combos are different :)

OP
Mitchell

Mitchell

ahhh so there is a difference! that's embarrassing :facepalm:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ahhh so there is a difference! that's embarrassing :facepalm:

Here's what I remember of "stacks"
stack.jpg
stack.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
will I hear a huge difference?

Depends. If you compare sighted, you may very well. Ears-only (double blind, level matched, no peeking), probably not. Speakers, headphones, room, EQ, that's where the sound improvements will come.

OP
Mitchell

Mitchell

Depends. If you compare sighted, you may very well. Ears-only (double blind, level matched, no peeking), probably not. Speakers, headphones, room, EQ, that's where the sound improvements will come.

Interesting. I will still expect there to be a significant improvement in noise filtering from SI-275 to A500. With the gain middled on the A500 there begins to be an audible buzz from the computer. That's the biggest gripe with it. as far as I know that could also be the DAC's fault

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Interesting. I will still expect there to be a significant improvement in noise filtering from SI-275 to A500. With the gain middled on the A500 there begins to be an audible buzz from the computer. That's the biggest gripe with it. as far as I know that could also be the DAC's fault

Could be. Either way, that sort of thing is usually easy to fix if you play with grounding.

OP
Mitchell

Mitchell

It was the grounds, as SIY stated
Could be. Either way, that sort of thing is usually easy to fix if you play with grounding.

I have amp on it's own wall plug now, there's no audible noise now. I feel dumb but having replaced all my hardware over it would have been measurably dumber. Thanks SIY, I'll now refer to the quote beneath your posts. :facepalm:

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It was the grounds, as SIY stated

I have amp on it's own wall plug now, there's no audible noise now. I feel dumb but having replaced all my hardware over it would have been measurably dumber. Thanks SIY, I'll now refer to the quote beneath your posts. :facepalm:

See, you DID come to the right place! Seriously glad that the fix was so easy. Usually these things are, but every once in a while…

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Things to know about the trusty Behringer A-500:
1. Like most pro gear, it's an IEC Class I device and as such any setup with unbalanced connections from e.g. a computer to it will be prone to ground loops (as seen here).
2. Moreover, even the balanced inputs are not AES48-2005 compliant, i.e. suffer from some degree of Pin 1 Problem. Using a trusty Behringer HD400 and TRS --> XLR cables may be advantageous.
3. They have a bit of an issue where setting input level trim to a certain range gives excessive distortion (there's at least one YT video on this out there).

Top Bottom