• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planned AV System Build. How does it look? Any Issues?

jtongret

OK, so as the title states I need you fine folks to take a look over my planned AV system build. I've been down the audio-nut rabbit hole for some time now but only in 2 channel stereo with subs, never multi-channel surround sound. However, I recently became interested in starting to assemble a HT in my living room. The system would also be used for music a good portion of the time, but I don’t see why it couldn’t sound amazing with both music and HT! This was actually a real concern of mine in the past, but after experiencing quite a few different amps, dacs,speakers,etc in my systems I’ve come to realize that there’s great performing gear out there at reasonable prices and there’s many factors in getting good sound out of a system. I’m not getting into specific room dimensions etc. because we currently are in the market to buy a home. I plan to start purchasing pieces even before we move because in the current home I’ll go as far as 5 channels, and if we are still here(insanely inflated housing market)I’ll stop there until we’re moved. My current room is best described as “shmedium” I suppose but can accommodate the gear listed even though I know it’s more than needed. Sometimes you just want more than you need, right? I most certainly won’t have a smaller room when we move, but I also don’t think an extra large room is going to be in the cards with our available loan amount. Below is a list of the components I’ve chosen and my reason for choosing them over other alternative options. I figure that the first phase of purchasing to complete the 5.2 channel setup will be done by the end of the year. Then I’ll look to expand to 7.2.4 .

Denon X3700H AVR - This seems to be the de facto recommendation because of its great measurements and reliability which is why I kept coming back to it. I also considered the Onkyo RZ50 solely on the built in Dirac Live. The Denon just seems to be more of a known entity as far as performance goes and while I did have a good experience with Dirac via a NAD C658 that I previously owned, I’m not prepared to sacrifice in other specs to have it. Audyssey XT32 seems to have enough manual control over the eq to get satisfactory sound and bass management can always be addressed with minidsp if necessary . I also like the preamp mode Denon has. I know many people will tell me I don’t need external power amps, but this is how I’d like to do things.

Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor S x3 - I really REALLY like the look and design of these! I think they’re gorgeous! The waveguide looks attractive to me and seems to do its job of controlling directivity well. All measurement based reviews seem to show good performance and off axis response seems to match well which will hopefully mean they’ll respond well to any eq. The other most considered alternative was Aperion Audio Verus III Grand Towers and center. The center channel seems to be better compared to the mtm 1723, but I would prefer the Monitor S for L/R and I could always experiment with vertical placement of the 1723?

Arendal Sound 1961 Bookshelf x2 - These seem to be perfectly capable and measure just as well as the 1723 models according to Erin’s recent review. I think for side surrounds(and eventually rear surrounds) they’ll be adequate and save me some coin over the 1723 bookshelf model. Arendal also has the 1961 atmos/height speakers available for when I expand later on.

Subwoofers - I already have 2x SVS SB3000 that can be used, so those will be ok until further down the road at which point I’ll assess my options.

VTV Five Channel NC502mp/500mp Power Amp - I know this is the aspect people will likely dispute. I don’t need that much power, the Denon’s internal amps are great, etc. But I don’t mind spending the additional $1600 for the benefits I’ll get from using a power amp. If I run the Denon in preamp mode it’ll greatly reduce heat and be much easier on the unit over time. This is what really attracted me to the X3700. With the initial expense of building the system the higher cost of starting with a pre/pro is just more than I can swallow. But in four or five years I could have everything I need to move into a pre/pro. I’m also drawn to the performance of the Hypex designed amps of course! My only area of concern is the xlr inputs with the rca outputs of the Denon. From what I understand there is a specific type of pin configuration I need which is less common, but the monoprice and March Audio cables are compatible. Any further input on this would be helpful.

Well, that’s a very long first post here! I’ve lurked and read daily for years so I knew when I needed some critical eyes to look over my plans this was where I needed to share them! Thank you all very much for any opinions, and especially for all the helpfulness I’ve found here!

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would consider a bump up from the monitors to the towers. That's personal preference, aside from that your plan seems pretty solid.

OP
J

jtongret

I would consider a bump up from the monitors to the towers. That's personal preference, aside from that your plan seems pretty solid.
Thank you for the response, it's appreciated! I've never been an active commentator in any of the forums I frequent, but I've come to appreciate the knowledge and critical thinking shown by so many members here. I read threads here almost daily and have learned a lot in the last couple of years doing so. I really debated a lot between the Monitor S and the Tower S.(The full size 1723 are just so big) I don't think I'll need the extra spl of the tower, but if I do end up with a room much larger than I expect to, I could always go to the Tower S and relocate the Monitor's to surround duty. Also, because I'm a huge hip-hop head I'm always going to use subwoofers in 2 channel anyway. After we get into the new house and I get everything else in the system squared away, I may consider adding another pair of sb3000's;-) if the I could ever sneak it past the wife, lol!

Top Bottom