• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar magnetic cans under 800eur.

ivulash

Hi folks,
currently I own DT 1770 Pro as portable/office cans (modded to balanced and paired with Radsone EarStudio ES100 mk2). I really love them, but want something more. I listen mostly to metal, but also to dark synth wave, ambient, classical... and so on.
I'd like some open back planars for clarity and deep bass. I already ordered Monolith THX 887 amp. As a DAC I will use what I already own: Dragonfly Black/ES100, later I'll upgrade.
My current choices are:
Dan Clark AEON RT (I know, they are closed, but based on Amirm's review I'm really interested in them, also price is nice)
Dan Clark AEON 2 Noire (because they might be even better? :)
Audeze LCD-2 Classic (finally some open planars, why there is no review by Amirm? :) )
Monolith M1570/Monolith M1070 (some great reviews and a good price)
...or do you have other suggestions?
I would be grateful for any opinions and personal experience you'd share.
Thank you,
ivo

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,
currently I own DT 1770 Pro as portable/office cans (modded to balanced and paired with Radsone EarStudio ES100 mk2). I really love them, but want something more. I listen mostly to metal, but also to dark synth wave, ambient, classical... and so on.
I'd like some open back planars for clarity and deep bass. I already ordered Monolith THX 887 amp. As a DAC I will use what I already own: Dragonfly Black/ES100, later I'll upgrade.
My current choices are:
Dan Clark AEON RT (I know, they are closed, but based on Amirm's review I'm really interested in them, also price is nice)
Dan Clark AEON 2 Noire (because they might be even better? :)
Audeze LCD-2 Classic (finally some open planars, why there is no review by Amirm? :) )
Monolith M1570/Monolith M1070 (some great reviews and a good price)
...or do you have other suggestions?
I would be grateful for any opinions and personal experience you'd share.
Thank you,
ivo
You know there is an Aeon RT open don't you? Same price

OP
I

ivulash

You know there is an Aeon RT open don't you? Same price
Sure, but according to several reviews and comparisons, closed are superior by far...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but according to several reviews and comparisons, closed are superior by far...
Given you’ve listed 2 closed back , maybe edit the title of your thread then .

cany89

@ivulash I have just recently gone through the same road and had pages of discussions and suggestions here. I ended up buying the new LCD-2. With EQ they sound perfect. Definitely, THE headphones to beat under $1K. I listened to classics and X too. Classic was good but I would (did) buy the LCD-2 for a small price difference. X wasn't that better for the price.

Unfortunately, there is no Aeon RT (open back) here so I couldn't compare but based on my experience with other cans, I can easily say both LCD-2 and classic are great when EQ'd. I would either squeeze the wallet a bit or look for a used one (almost new / very clean if possible...).

aandres_gm

Durnik

I've owned the Anandas and now own the Focal Clear MG and listen mostly to metal plus prog. rock and jazz.
When purchased the Anandas,
I was listening to a lot of other cans in a store, including most Audeze models and:
A- All can sound very nice when EQed
B- Anandas were the cans I enjoyed more.
C- Audeze cans weight is not for me by far.
On the other hand, MGs are out of your budget, but the way they are configured (high-mids and highs) is very good for metal, or better said, metal is very enjoyable to my ears. Anadas are very enjoyable too, but for some old recordings a bit of EQ can be advisable depending on your sound preferences.
Let me insist: I didn't like some models that I'm sure I would have enjoyed if I had lost some time equalizing them, so if you EQ, it's difficult to go wrong with the models you mention.

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I've been using the Aeon RT Closed backs for a few weeks now, driving them balanced with my HiBy R5, which outputs about a watt per channel. This is plenty of power for them, but I don't think the Dragonfly Black would do it for those. The Red probably would be fine.

I can certainly recommend the Aeon's - they are crystal clear and with minimal EQ sound great for the music I listen to most - classic / alternative rock / jazz / downtempo. Build quality is top notch, really good value for the cost.

Palfim

For deep bass I'd get the HE-6se v2, it's under 700usd from adorama or from hifiman as open box deal. Great measurements and reviews and you can return it if you don't like it. No tax for EU , since they ship from Poland.
The monolith amp should be sufficient (with balanced cable) , I'm debating to get it myself since they are on sale for 270eur (seen it in the EU deals thread).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For deep bass I'd get the HE-6se v2, it's under 700usd from adorama or from hifiman as open box deal. Great measurements and reviews and you can return it if you don't like it. No tax for EU , since they ship from Poland.
The monolith amp should be sufficient (with balanced cable) , I'm debating to get it myself since they are on sale for 270eur (seen it in the EU deals thread).
Good tip on the open box, thanks . Just ordered to UK. As we foolishly left the EU I’ll no doubt get taxed , but nevermind

OP
I

ivulash

Thank you all for the input.
I ended up with:
dac: SMSL SU-8 V2
amp: Monolith THX 887
cans: I got HE-6se v2 open box (600eur with shipping). They came today and I must say it is a great combo.
All connected balanced. Amp gain 2 (of 3) and volume on 50% and it is pretty loud.
Thank you all again.

RHO

Major Contributor
I ended up with:
cans: I got HE-6se v2 open box (600eur with shipping). They came today and I must say it is a great combo.
All connected balanced. Amp gain 2 (of 3) and volume on 50% and it is pretty loud.
Thank you all again.
I've sent you a PM.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ended up with:
Thank you all again.
Im running some recently acquired OB he6 SE v2 on a very similar set up. 789 instead

OP
I

ivulash

I've sent you a PM.

Hi Rik,
I was unable to reply to you in message (antispam :) ), so I reply to you here:
this is kind of a mystery to myself. After I purchased the headphones, I received a FedEx tracking number and it was clear, they are shipped from China. It took them 1 week to delivery, while the day before the delivery, tracking was informing me about customs and import stuff... but nobody contacted me, nobody wanted any documents, they just arrived the next day to my doors and I did not pay anything. So, I can not confirm they are shipped from Poland. But I did not pay any import fees or tax.
Regards,
ivo

Reactions: RHO
OP
I

ivulash

Im running some recently acquired OB he6 SE v2 on a very similar set up. 789 instead

Great to hear that, hope you enjoy them as I do. Do you use them with EQ? Do you plan on any modding? I'm curious if it is worth to do the grill mod... it seems easy, reversible and with nice results... Also, do you use default pads? Headband? :D so much stuff one can do with headphones :D
I have them for just 2 days, so I use them as they arrived. I just use the EQ as Amirm suggested. But I really want to try the grill mod...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to hear that, hope you enjoy them as I do. Do you use them with EQ? Do you plan on any modding? I'm curious if it is worth to do the grill mod... it seems easy, reversible and with nice results... Also, do you use default pads? Headband? :D so much stuff one can do with headphones :D
I have them for just 2 days, so I use them as they arrived. I just use the EQ as Amirm suggested. But I really want to try the grill mod...
EQ is per oratory1990 on reddit but with less of a bass shelf. I've added a wool cover over the headband to cushion a bit more. Tried swapping pads for some dekoni leather but sounded harsh. Have some Hifiman velour coming soon to try but I think the pads are fine.

Contrary to whatever you read about using speaker amps etc to drive them, I don't believe you do need , just plenty of ooomph. needed

aandres_gm

Hi Rik,
this is kind of a mystery to myself. After I purchased the headphones, I received a FedEx tracking number and it was clear, they are shipped from China. It took them 1 week to delivery, while the day before the delivery, tracking was informing me about customs and import stuff... but nobody contacted me, nobody wanted any documents, they just arrived the next day to my doors and I did not pay anything. So, I can not confirm they are shipped from Poland. But I did not pay any import fees or tax.
Regards,
ivo
I understand not every headphone directly sold by Hifiman comes from the Polish warehouse. Though it would seem in your case they took care of the bill, I'm not sure that's standard procedure. Best bet is to send them an email, they usually get back to you within a couple of days.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Rik,
Regards,
ivo
My experience was very similar.

Reactions: RHO
Top Bottom