• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar magnetic alternative/upgrade from HD6XX

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor

cany89

Where do you think I was looking all this time? :p
But the Ananda fits the budget still, even if not as an OB deal. The HE-6se v2 as an OB is also on the list.

Give an update when you get one :)

aandres_gm

Just pull the trigger on the Ananda. If it's not good enough, you can sell it at cost locally, without making a loss. It's what I did when buying the Ananda and Sundara a few months back.

coomean

Where do you think I was looking all this time? :p
But the Ananda fits the budget still, even if not as an OB deal. The HE-6se v2 as an OB is also on the list.

The price of new HE6se v2 fell to $599 on Adorama, https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t
If comfort would not be an issue for you, nothing competes with HE6se v2 at this price. At the similar price, Ananda OB is lighter and easier to driver than HE6se v2, but that's about it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The price of new HE6se v2 fell to $599 on Adorama, https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t
If comfort would not be an issue for you, nothing competes with HE6se v2 at this price. At the similar price, Ananda OB is lighter and easier to driver than HE6se v2, but that's about it.

At that price its a no brainer if Adorama ship to RHO country. They didnt to the UK

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Belgium is not in the list of shipping options at Adorama.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
use a forwarding service ?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
use a forwarding service ?
I'll have to look into that. But I guess I will still have to add import tax, customs fees, ...
I'll have to see how that adds up and compare it to the ananda directly purchased from Hififman.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yep, extra shipping fees + import tax.
For direct orders it will be import tax only.

So the extra costs are in shipping forwarding.
Maybe some US based ASR member is willing to forward it to you ?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
So the extra costs are in shipping forwarding.
Maybe some US based ASR member is willing to forward it to you ?
Doesn't change anything. Even on presents, gifts, 2nd hand goods, ... you still have to pay all costs as if it were a new purchase from an store outside EU. (if I understood the rules correctly)

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Both Ananda and HE-6se v2 can be shipped from Poland. HE-6se v2 (OB) has a 2 month waiting time. Ananda is in stock

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor

Bernd

Forum Donor
I have the Sundara and love them. Were a definite upgrade from my Senn/Drop HD58x. I use Oratory eq, but with a touch less treble roll off and a touch less bass boost. This works for me. Note that the Sundara are so open they are really not good for anything but listening in a quiet space at home - but if you must have portability Wavelet eq app on android will do it (bit of a pfaff making custom eq but).

Mind you, if you have been listening to DCA Aeon RT and have the budget for them, they measured better than Sundara so may suit you… I haven’t dared listen to these as they cost $1500 in Australia :(

I fully agree - that has been my journey too. I also have the the AEON RT but that is the headphone I do not use a lot. The Sundara with EQ is so much more fun and pleasiing to my ears.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Sundara and love them. Were a definite upgrade from my Senn/Drop HD58x. I use Oratory eq, but with a touch less treble roll off and a touch less bass boost. This works for me. Note that the Sundara are so open they are really not good for anything but listening in a quiet space at home - but if you must have portability Wavelet eq app on android will do it (bit of a pfaff making custom eq but).

Mind you, if you have been listening to DCA Aeon RT and have the budget for them, they measured better than Sundara so may suit you… I haven’t dared listen to these as they cost $1500 in Australia :(
Sundara's out of the box are better than HD660S, equalized or not.
Hifiman headphones require a week or so burning in (seven days a few hours a day). They get warmer and better.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Stumbled across this one:
I'm wondering if this is in any way a somewhat representative indication of what these headphones could sound like.
(hint: skip the talking and just listen to the samples, at the end he discloses which HP is which)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stumbled across this one:
I'm wondering if this is in any way a somewhat representative indication of what these headphones could sound like.
(hint: skip the talking and just listen to the samples, at the end he discloses which HP is which)
This video is so wrong on so many levels!
- do you choose a hifi system, if someone plays it in another room and you are allowed to listen in through paper cups and some string?
Listening to a sound system, recorded by god knows what microphone, what gear, how much compression used by Youtube, on whose computer and whose speakers! This is flawed to the bone!
- Almost all, Hifiman in particular, require a good 40+ hours of burning in at least! diaphragms are new, earcups are new, winding etc. all new, they need burning in to settle in.
only after couple of weeks, one can tell if they like the sound or not, that's why decent headphone manufacturers allow you to return the items, if not liked.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
This video is so wrong on so many levels!
- do you choose a hifi system, if someone plays it in another room and you are allowed to listen in through paper cups and some string?
Listening to a sound system, recorded by god knows what microphone, what gear, how much compression used by Youtube, on whose computer and whose speakers! This is flawed to the bone!
It is flawed. But he measures with miniDSP ears, which is a known factor (sounds bright when used for recording). Besides that I may not allow for enough clamping. (Bass roll-off)
But people knowing these headphones can still judge if the differences shown here are representative. I'm not asking if the sound is accurate. It is not.
But I'm wondering if "strategic" EQ has been applied to please the affiliates. Obvious? Doubtful?

Top Bottom