• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar magnetic alternative/upgrade from HD6XX

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have the DCA Aeon RT also per chance?
If so, how do these compare clamp-force-wise?
If they are comparable, I can live with them.

I have the RT Open sat next to me and the 6SE on my head.....

OK- its different- the Aeon kind of "suck" around your ears giving a really snug fit. The SE kind of rest on your hair/ skin rather than sucking in. If I shake my head a little the Aeon stay put, the 6SE wobble a bit. I suspect the overall weight of the cups is in play too, the 6 being far heavier.

EDIT- oh and the 6SE have built in wiggle where the slider meets the band, which will contribute to that less snug feeling- thats what gives them the ability to rotate a little which the Aeon dont have- so the wiggle test isnt really fair.

Reactions: RHO
OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
So it's not THAT bad.
I like the snug fit of the Aeons.
With the price for the Hifimans I really need to be sure they will sit comfortable to me. So your comments help a lot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it's not THAT bad.
I like the snug fit of the Aeons.
With the price for the Hifimans I really need to be sure they will sit comfortable to me. So your comments help a lot.
Yeah, it's a bugger not being able to do any kind of fit test. They are v similar to any of the other round Hifiman in terms of fit and feel, just heavier. But if you've never tried any of them that's no use!

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm looking into a visit to a high-end audio store somewhere reasonably close by. They don't carry the HE-6se V2 but I could ask if I could try out some other models that are similar in build.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking into a visit to a high-end audio store somewhere reasonably close by. They don't carry the HE-6se V2 but I could ask if I could try out some other models that are similar in build.
The 4// series would be the obvious ones, maybe Sundara

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
According to Hifiman customer service the other headbands don't fit the HE-6se. So that's no option.
They advise just to buy it and send it back if I can't live with the fit on my head.

coomean

According to Hifiman customer service the other headbands don't fit the HE-6se. So that's no option.
They advise just to buy it and send it back if I can't live with the fit on my head.

I installed the older headband from HE-560 (similar to this, https://www.adorama.com/hmhb560.html?) onto my HE6se v2, and it solved the comfort issue for me. The installation takes about 10 mins, which does involve opening the ear cups.

But I am not sure if the hybrid headband (Sundara style) would work for HE6se v2.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I installed the older headband from HE-560 (similar to this, https://www.adorama.com/hmhb560.html?) onto my HE6se v2, and it solved the comfort issue for me. The installation takes about 10 mins, which does involve opening the ear cups.

But I am not sure if the hybrid headband (Sundara style) would work for HE6se v2.
That style of headband is also available directly from Hifiman. So that would be an option for me.

I'm still not 100% sure about the sound signature of these cans. The slightly upward slope from the subbass to the midrange scares me a bit. I'm afraid I will find it to sound lean and lacking in bass. (I can't EQ in all situations)
Plans is that this will be my final headphones purchase for quite a while. So it needs to be the right one. (got big plans for the rest of my audio+office gear)

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm going to put more priority on the other updates to my system. But I'll keep looking for planar open back alternatives to the HD6XX.
Could well be I still end up with the HE-6se v2.
I discarded the Ananda because the review here isn't too positive. But when I look at measurements on other sites the picture is not as negative. Seems to be an issue with getting a good seal. The cups are quite large. With a good seal the FR looks similar to the HE-6se v2.

aandres_gm

I'm going to put more priority on the other updates to my system. But I'll keep looking for planar open back alternatives to the HD6XX.
Could well be I still end up with the HE-6se v2.
I discarded the Ananda because the review here isn't too positive. But when I look at measurements on other sites the picture is not as negative. Seems to be an issue with getting a good seal. The cups are quite large. With a good seal the FR looks similar to the HE-6se v2.
That got discussed in the review thread: amir got a very bad seal but decided to truck on, arguing that's something users would face anyway. Many other reviewers said their results were way different, due to them achieving a good fit.

I found the ananda cups to be a lot more comfortable than the sundara. Both have plenty of bass, especially after EQ.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
That got discussed in the review thread: amir got a very bad seal but decided to truck on, arguing that's something users would face anyway. Many other reviewers said their results were way different, due to them achieving a good fit.

I found the ananda cups to be a lot more comfortable than the sundara. Both have plenty of bass, especially after EQ.
The issue with Ananda is that it is quite easy to break the seal apparently. I hope I can try one before I buy one to see how well they fit my head.
Bass after EQ is fine, but I want bass also without EQ. At least not the roll off like the Sundara is showing in the measurements. I'm spoiled by the Aeon RT.

aandres_gm

The issue with Ananda is that it is quite easy to break the seal apparently. I hope I can try one before I buy one to see how well they fit my head.
Bass after EQ is fine, but I want bass also without EQ. At least not the roll off like the Sundara is showing in the measurements. I'm spoiled by the Aeon RT.
It also sounds very well without EQ. Honestly, I don't think the seal is a big deal. Almost every review will tell you how good Ananda is. Crinacle calls it one of the best tuned headphones in production. Amir had a flawed test which I believe coloured his impressions.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
It also sounds very well without EQ. Honestly, I don't think the seal is a big deal. Almost every review will tell you how good Ananda is. Crinacle calls it one of the best tuned headphones in production. Amir had a flawed test which I believe coloured his impressions.
I may have an opportunity to test it. Hopefully I'll be able to verify the experiences contradicting Amir's test.

Ellie

I have an Ananda, it's my daily driver. I admittedly think it needs a sub-bass shelf at around 75 hz, but that could be preference. The bass is very thin without it. It also needs a peak at around 1600 hz, there's this weird dip in the frequency response that makes it sound weirdly hollow overall if you don't correct that.

But that's all I tweak about it. Everything else about its tuning is pitch perfect, and I adore it. It's really comfortable, sounds great, easy to drive, and.. I dunno. I really can't recommend it enough.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
That weak bass worries me a bit.
Do you get a good deal or are the cups too large for you?
The 1600Hz dip I need to test with EQ on my current headphones what that does to the sound.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
I know what you mean. Had the 650s, got some audeze isines. Wanted more planar. Id recommend the mr speakers ether closed. That was what did it for me.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I know what you mean. Had the 650s, got some audeze isines. Wanted more planar. Id recommend the mr speakers ether closed. That was what did it for me.
I'm looking for an open black. I'm happy with the Aeon RT closed that I already own. ;)

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
Oh. gotcha. In my experience, anything beyond the Hd600/650 is just subjective. You’re gonna have to try things or be bombarded with audio words.

have fun!

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
Had a pair of the old orpheus and it was nice but I really loved the 650s. Ooh. I guess if dust isn’t a concern. Maybe check out the Stax 007?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Oh. gotcha. In my experience, anything beyond the Hd600/650 is just subjective. You’re gonna have to try things or be bombarded with audio words.

have fun!
There are measurements out there. But for Ananda they are sometimes contradicting. Specifically in the bass frequencies.

Top Bottom