• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Placing speakers on top of subwoofers

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Would this be a bad idea and if so, why?

I usually come up with a bad idea or two myself...

JBL LSR 308 on top of a pair of Cheezewoofers next to the reQuests

1539909795578.png

Last edited:

Guermantes

I've heard modular designs that were basically 2-ways perched on top of subs. The difference with your setup may be that the cabinets were matching, so diffraction was less of an issue (also more aesthetically pleasing). PA systems are often stacked this way, too.

EDIT: Obviously famous manufacturers have had this bad idea too:
901ad54b11bca217d35aa99237544732.jpg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
Mate, that stuff is dangerous. It eats into plastic/perspex/paint and gloss surfaces over time and ruins them. Trust me. I've thrown out any and all of it from my place. You should see what it does to a perspex/acrylic turntable lid or the backs of remote controls in a drawer.

People use it to line drawers and tool boxes- don't do it. It must gas off goodness knows what.

Thanks for the warning. :eek:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes, that product's page comes with this:

☣ WARNING:
Cancer. California Proposition 65Many of the products fulfilled by Woodcraft requires a California Prop 65 warning as most are used to work raw wood which creates wood dust. Some products contain chemicals such as nickel compounds, acrylic dust and other chemicals. Both Wood dust and these other chemicals are substances known to the State of California to cause cancer. More information go to www.Prop65Warnings.ca.gov.www.p65warnings.ca.gov

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wow, I've got one here in my computer cupboard so I can see when I crawl in to plug in something. Mine is white.

One what? My perception of your whole sentence is now horribly colored by your first link. I made the mistake of clicking on it and can only imagine what sort of things will come up "just for you based on your previous search" next time I log into Amazon. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One what? My perception of your whole sentence is now horribly colored by your first link.

It was deliberate... Anyway, here you go:

lamp (Small).jpeg

I have a cupboard under my desk (well part of the desk really) which has a few PCs in it and the entire 22 electrical feeds for all the chit on my bench. Also some 'spare' bits and pieces and lots of cables running out and up.

I got sick of hitting my head and not being able to see when I crawled under there to re-route something so I stuck an old lamp in the cupboard.

It's somewhat similar to Ray's suction device oops, lamp. :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Here you go:

View attachment 16622

I have a cupboard under my desk (well part of the desk really) which has a few PCs in it and the entire 22 electrical feeds for all the chit on my bench. Also some 'spare' bits and pieces and lots of cables running out and up.

I got sick of hitting my head and not being able to see when I crawled under there to re-route something so I stuck an old lamp in the cupboard.

It's somewhat similar to Ray's suction device oops, lamp. :)

I see those out on the kerbside rubbish pick up days.

Guermantes

One what? My perception of your whole sentence is now horribly colored by your first link. I made the mistake of clicking on it and can only imagine what sort of things will come up "just for you based on your previous search" next time I log into Amazon. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... :D

I'm in the same predicament! It really needed a "NSFW" tag . . .

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I see those out on the kerbside rubbish pick up days.

I tell you what other lights you see on kerbside rubbish are those 50 watt halogen powered floor lamps with long angle-poise heads. You know those things that got so hot you couldn't sit near them? Put an MR16 12V LED in them and use them at your electronics bench. They run cool, give heaps of light, use no power and don't take up bench space.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm in the same predicament! It really needed a "NSFW" tag . . .

It was just a suction mount! It was perfectly safe for work. Maybe the other stuff you looked at wasn't... :)

Guermantes

It was just a suction mount! It was perfectly safe for work. Maybe the other stuff you looked at wasn't... :)
I have removed it from my Amazon US browsing history, thank you! [insert mock indignation emoticon here]

derp1n

If God's going to watch, he could at least give me a hand...
Tl3J43d.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
If God's going to watch, he could at least give me a hand...
Tl3J43d.jpg

The Saudies usually have a few detached ones on-hand.
5untitled3.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Saudies usually have a few detached ones on-hand.

"Would you like a hand with that?" or "I really need a hand to finish this meal" sort of takes on different meanings doesn't it?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
To really impress people you should build Wilson-like mounts for the little speakers on top of the subs... Call it a prototype and wait for the awards.

THE BEHEMOTH 666

Wilsons are girlie speakers; Sabrina, Yvette, Alexandria...

So here's THE BEHEMOTH 666, the beastie speaker.

Sub is Genelec 7382, 3 times 15 inch woofers, SPL capacity @129 dB.

Top is Genelec 1236. Two 18 inch woofers, compression driver plus to midrange drivers, SPL capacity @130 dB.

Separated by six decouplers (DMSD 60).

Total height: 185 cm.

Acoustic axis is around 103 cm above floor.

System is active and DSP calibrated for phase and room compensation.

Total weight including amps is 666 pounds.

Price? The devil is in the detail; ca. €40k per beast.

snipped2.jpg

Top Bottom