• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Placing Bookshelf Speaker on Subwoofer

mangoes4hands

Random question - I am considering adding a couple subwoofers to my stereo setup in a tight room. I'm seriously considering sitting the bookshelves (a pair of R3s) on top of the subs to maximize space, as there's not much space to put the subs elsewhere in the room

Any major drawbacks that I would be aware of before pulling the triggers on the subs?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are at least 2 possible issues:

1. possible Doppler modulation of the tweeters, mids by the sub

but that is unproven, so go ahead and try it, while recognizing that 2. location in the room may not be best for both subs and tweeters/mids

I would not worry too much. Try REW for #2

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Random question - I am considering adding a couple subwoofers to my stereo setup in a tight room. I'm seriously considering sitting the bookshelves (a pair of R3s) on top of the subs to maximize space, as there's not much space to put the subs elsewhere in the room

Any major drawbacks that I would be aware of before pulling the triggers on the subs?

Not really. A dual opposing subwoofer would be nice (minimizes vibrations in the cabinet and the speakers on top of them), but you'd likely be fine with a regular subwoofer too.

EDIT: As @Wes points out, it may not be the ideal position for the best bass - but other than that it should be fine.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My JBL 2 ways sit atop DIY subs.

Imaging is stable, tonal balance is fine.

YMMV - if you're on a steady diet of Deadlines Lolita or other thrash metal.

OP
M

mangoes4hands

Just by way of context, I'd plan to use a minidsp SHD to integrate the subs with the stereo system.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just by way of context, I'd plan to use a minidsp SHD to integrate the subs with the stereo system.
That's my setup - only it's straight AES.

BlueSound Vault - MiniDSP SHD (Studio) - Low pass to MiniDSP plate amps - High pass to JBL 708p. The 708p sit directly atop my subs.

Same functionality (and application on configuring PC) for analog output MiniDSP Studio.

Best sound I've ever had, at home.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Placing a bookshelf loudspeaker over a significant vertical surface like a sub, closed shelf or stand can also alter its radiation pattern and baffle step usually at low mids as its baffle gets extended, meaning also extra EQ to compensate that might be needed.

Top Bottom