• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pitch Discrimination Training (and Also How It Could Help/Relates to Tinnitus)

Sythrix

A while ago I happened upon this website called Plasticity, which allows you to play a game in auditory discrimination. Basically you set up the game, then attempt to discern between two pitches which are similar in frequency.

The interesting thing about this, is that there is a theory that it may help those with tinnitus. I have a pretty constant, high-frequency tinnitus, which never goes away. It doesn't get in the way of most of my hearing, but it can get annoying at quiet times. Several months ago I did this site every day for a while and actually forgot about my tinnitus. Fast forward to today and some possibly bad decisions on car volume levels and it's back to being at the forefront of my consciousness.

This isn't a magic cure-all for tinnitus, but it may help you if you suffer from a form of it. There is a target tinnitus frequency field, where you may enter an approximate frequency close to what your tinnitus sounds like. If you want to get an idea, go to this frequency generator and listen for the closest frequency to your tinnitus (Warning - turn your speakers/amp or the volume slider on the webpage down if you are targeting a high frequency, as otherwise it can be quite loud).

Anyways, thought other people might be interested. If nothing else, it helps you train pitch discrimination, which at a website for people who are interested in the highest audio quality, can only be a good thing. :)

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
A while ago I happened upon this website called Plasticity, which allows you to play a game in auditory discrimination. Basically you set up the game, then attempt to discern between two pitches which are similar in frequency.

The interesting thing about this, is that there is a theory that it may help those with tinnitus. I have a pretty constant, high-frequency tinnitus, which never goes away. It doesn't get in the way of most of my hearing, but it can get annoying at quiet times. Several months ago I did this site every day for a while and actually forgot about my tinnitus. Fast forward to today and some possibly bad decisions on car volume levels and it's back to being at the forefront of my consciousness.

This isn't a magic cure-all for tinnitus, but it may help you if you suffer from a form of it. There is a target tinnitus frequency field, where you may enter what you approximate frequency close to what your tinnitus sounds like. If you want to get an idea, go to this frequency generator and listen for the closest frequency to your tinnitus (Warning - turn your speakers/amp or the volume slider on the webpage down if you are targeting a high frequency, as otherwise it can be quite loud).

Anyways, thought other people might be interested. If nothing else, it helps you train pitch discrimination, which at a website for people who are interested in the highest audio quality, can only be a good thing. :)

I can get the frequency generator site but the generator doesn't work. The links work.
shrug.gif

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

I can get the frequency generator site but the generator doesn't work. The links work. View attachment 16388

Hmm. It works on both my phone and my desktop. What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome. Other than that, verify the volume slider on the website is up.

I don't know why else it wouldn't be working. You could try a different one, like this one here.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hmm. It works on both my phone and my desktop. What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome. Other than that, verify the volume slider on the website is up.

I don't know why else it wouldn't be working. You could try a different one, like this one here.

I keep forgetting Win7/IE foibles. Works on Firefox. Thanks. :facepalm:

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

Top Bottom