• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pipe Organ Pages

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There may be some other aficionados of pipe organ recordings and music here. I am one.

I recently came across the series of programs below. Chicago-born, Nathan Laube is often described as one of the best, if not the best organist* currently living. He is also a scholar and a teacher, currently in Germany. Nathan shares his knowledge in a series of four programs recorded while he was on the faculty of the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY in 2019. He provides many examples of music, most played by him, on organs around the world.

There is a drought for Laube organ recordings -- he seems to spend his efforts more on concertizing and teaching. Thus, I found good luck in happening on this fine series of programs for WFMT. Try them on for size and color.

*Best is, of course, a relative thing. Others call him the best, not necessarily me. But I do say I haven't heard better.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I watch large Church organists, I can't image how it is possible to do what they are doing! Seems like the instrument requires you to be an octopus with so many keys and peddles!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My wife plays, I need to forward to her, thanks! - Don

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool I will find the broadcast here on the left coast. Thanks, Back at ya... a mile wide and deep. FYI

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've enjoyed Pipe Organ for a long time. It's a major part of my pursuing infrasonic capable Subs. While it's far from the experience of being there, it's the best I can do for myself. :D

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
When I watch large Church organists, I can't image how it is possible to do what they are doing! Seems like the instrument requires you to be an octopus with so many keys and peddles!
<chuckle> Yet, we pay the big bucks to guys who can throw a ball through a hoop or kick it through a goal post. Who said the world is fair?
If you ever get to watch a great organist playing a Bach trio sonata, he is playing 3 separate melodies at the same time, all coming together, harmonizing, and separating independently. And if he takes his eyes off the music, and watches his hands and/or feet, it all goes to hell in a hurry.

By the way, if you want to hear and feel 32' organ tone, some of the Laube readings/organs have it. Yeppers, down to 16 Hz. Gravitas! You can almost count them. And, 32' tone comes in a variety of very different timbres.

So, who needs a subwoofer or two? ;)

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I've enjoyed Pipe Organ for a long time. It's a major part of my pursuing infrasonic capable Subs. While it's far from the experience of being there, it's the best I can do for myself. :D
Haha. I recall being in Brugge one time with another couple. We split up, promising to meet later in the cathedral. An organist was rehearsing. The lady said to me, "What is that sound? It's like an earthquake."
She had never before heard and felt 32' organ tone. Her little local RC church had an electronic substitute for an organ.

Top Bottom