• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 162 65.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 18.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

MbphotoX

thanks.. kinda underwhelming..

I was really hoping for a comprehensive thread about those systems.

"I measured once for each and on different days. Look, it's better." doesn't quite convince me.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone know why I am unable to change the delays on the AVR ? I used to be able to set the distance in feet manually, but after I ran Dirac Live, it seems to have switched the delay to msec, and I am unable to move the sliders or change the delay through web interface or the AVR menu. The problem is that these delays aren't correct, and I can definitely hear echoes instead of a seamless music now.

1711394044711.png

Johnp

Does anyone know why I am unable to change the delays on the AVR ? I used to be able to set the distance in feet manually, but after I ran Dirac Live, it seems to have switched the delay to msec, and I am unable to move the sliders or change the delay through web interface or the AVR menu. The problem is that these delays aren't correct, and I can definitely hear echoes instead of a seamless music now.

View attachment 359106
That is just how it is once Dirac is loaded on this unit. You cannot adjust distances.

MisterT3

As an electrical Engineer, can you take the thing apart and tell us what relay this is and why it is switching? (cannot find the service manual, either)
What happens to the power drawn by the Receiver?

I have experienced/heard the switching after several dozen or so minutes of just playing background music.. sounds to me like the amp just switching off certain things, cranking down the internal stuff because it's not needed.

But what you describe appears to be something different entirely. As if the amp tried to protect itself.
Did you drive output past 0dB setting (Volume control), too?
How did you measure the signal with 8 Ohms loads? (I'm no electrical engineer, just trying to understand the implications of this for real people)

Now, 25 Watts for me is 96dB from a single speaker.. that's basically the peak SPL I would expect when playing a movie on the -10dB setting (105dB is reference level)
never for 30 seconds straight, though..
But I really want to understand how these things come to be, because the amplifier has more than enough power from the psu (700+ Watts) and it was rated at 100+ Watts per channel and actually measured by acclaimed audio magazines to put out the rated amount of power into 5/7 channels respectively.
View attachment 358426
This relay activates ("the click") from thermal or detection of large signal, dont know.. My bet is that the relay switches a different set of secondary windings on the main power transformer that lowers the bipolar supply rails to the class AB amps, limiting power. If I could find a service manual I would see if a simple circuit board hack could disable current through that relay coil.. In that case I would purchase this AV in a heartbeat, as the price/performance is very good..

MbphotoX

This relay activates ("the click") from thermal or detection of large signal, dont know.. My bet is that the relay switches a different set of secondary windings on the main power transformer that lowers the bipolar supply rails to the class AB amps, limiting power. If I could find a service manual I would see if a simple circuit board hack could disable current through that relay coil.. In that case I would purchase this AV in a heartbeat, as the price/performance is very good..
according to @popej this might be the reason:
"Looking at service manual for older models, we can find a switch for power amps supply. High supply voltage is +-64V, low is +-26V. This low voltage is consistent with Amir's measurement in protected mode, where output power drops to about 20W/8Ohm and 35W/4Ohm. It should be the same for low volume mode."

Now, the question that remains, at least to me, would be:
does this at all matter?!

It normally happens when you don't actually NEED any power from the AVR, so it basically goes into eco mode.
As soon as you draw more power by increasing the volume, the relay switches back to high power mode.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Lots of use have been hoping to see service manuals for the current generation - so far they are unobtainium

Top Bottom