• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer RM-07

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Fairly gushing review of the Pioneer RM-07 by Phil Ward on Sound on Sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pioneer-rm-07

pioneerrm0701.jpg

pioneerrm0704.jpg

pioneerrm0702.jpg

-Active
-Low diffraction cabinet of some kind of alloy
-Tech that originated at TAD
-Allegedly Andrew Jones was involved before he left Pioneer (believable given the Uni-Q type driver)
-About $750 each / $1500 pair

In the conclusion, Phil Ward says:

"I’ve been lucky enough to review in these pages a few extravagantly priced monitors with sky-high aspirations. The Pioneer RM-07 is rather different, however, firstly in that it’s priced at around the entry level for serious active monitors, and secondly because it doesn’t really make claims to break revolutionary technological ground or overtly aspire to be the best. But of all the recent nearfield monitors I’ve tried it’s actually my favourite — not just because it works so well and fundamentally does the job, but because it seems to me to represent genuine, thoughtful, ‘old-school’ and skilful electroacoustic engineering of great integrity and quality. If I wanted to recommend it more highly, I wouldn’t know how. And no, I really never imagined I’d be writing that about a Pioneer speaker."

I'm tempted to get a pair because I've never owned a coincident / coaxial speaker and this has less unnecessary bells & whistles than the KEF LS50 Wireless active speakers.

But I can't get past that it's a Pioneer...which is stupid.

Thoughts?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Pioneer have a decent pedigree when it comes to speakers, certainly in recent years.. I suggest you get over yourself and buy a pair.

You obviously have a decent knowladge of monitors so it would be great to get you opinion on them.. Maybe even do some measurments :eek:

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Pioneer have a decent pedigree when it comes to speakers, certainly in recent years.. I suggest you get over yourself and buy a pair.

Indeed, I need to remove my own mental block.

It also has a metal tweeter, which isn't usually my preference, but they've come a long way and I'm sure Pioneer handled the breakup / ringing fine.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Intresting to see they use class a/b amplification , old skool:D

Yeah, and an analog active crossover, too.

Which would remove some of my superstitious neuroses about DSP crossover based speakers and doing DA/AD with digital sources and A/D for my turntable.

The cabinet looks like a reimagined, better LS50 (although with a bigger driver in the RM-07):

rm0705_pic_07.jpg

rm0705_pic_08.jpg

The main thing that gives me pause is that I've heard coaxial speakers tend to have lumpy response curves. Don't know how true that really is.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Indeed, I need to remove my own mental block.

It also has a metal tweeter, which isn't usually my preference, but they've come a long way and I'm sure Pioneer handled the breakup / ringing fine.
my speakers use a metal tweeter, can't remember seeing anything bad in the measurments that suggest it's a terrible idea..

Watchnerd I'm surprised by these prejudices...

Pioneer speakers are great as are TAD, and there's bugger all wrong with a properly implemented metal dome tweeter..

D

Deleted member 65

No intention to remove my metal mental block!

Had these a few years back (KEF XQ40) equipped with metal tweeter & midrange. Couldn't stand them, sold them shortly after purchase.

7644-4.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
No intention to remove my metal mental block!

Had these a few years back (KEF XQ40) equipped with metal tweeter & midrange. Couldn't stand them, sold them shortly after purchase.

7644-4.jpg

Thank you for validating my confirmation bias. :)

Top Bottom