• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer releases new Elite flagship AVR VSX-LX805 with XLR inputs/outputs for front L/R channels

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The Integra is the heaviest of the three at 22.5 kg (49.6 lbs.)

So although the Integra and Pioneer look the most similar inside, there is 1kg of difference between them... keeping in mind that the Integra has the most inputs/outputs of the whole family - so more boards/circuits inside, that is probably to be expected... still 1kg is not unsubstantial.

PS: power supply / power consumption specs are identical across the three...

ryaneagon

I'm waiting on the Denon X6800H if it comes out. The AH1 is just too much money with no improvement in sound quality. The only thing I'm hoping will improve the sound quality would be Dirac Live and the Denon doesn't even include the regular license, let alone the subs. At least the Pioneer comes with the main license, but I noticed it has the option for the multiple sub license but it doesn't seem to have discrete multiple sub outputs?
The Pioneer has 2 independent (discrete) sub-outputs. Also, 2 extra parallel out-puts. Cheers!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
So if they added a 2 lb heavier chassis, it would make you guys feel better? :)
Hmm I tend to look at the overall construction, and in the absence of details with regards to transformer sizing and capacitors in the power supply, the weight tends to provide a rough indication of the power supplies ability to provide current...

Not a big deal with 8 ohm speakers - but those of us who have 4 ohm speaker with dramatic impedance dips (like mine that drop to 1.6ohm) - the sizing of the power supply tends to become a primary constraint.

But with variation in the chassis construction, front faceplate, and the addition/substraction of sub-boards internally, there is some weight difference between the sibling AVR's!

Keeping in mind that the LX305 is around 10kg, LX505 around 15kg, and LX805 around 20kg... the casework will acount for a bit of it, as will the circuit boards, but a large (largest!) chunk of this will be the transformer....

So yes... a 2lb / 1kg heavier AVR does make me feel better - especially if all else is equal.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm I tend to look at the overall construction, and in the absence of details with regards to transformer sizing and capacitors in the power supply, the weight tends to provide a rough indication of the power supplies ability to provide current...

Not a big deal with 8 ohm speakers - but those of us who have 4 ohm speaker with dramatic impedance dips (like mine that drop to 1.6ohm) - the sizing of the power supply tends to become a primary constraint.

But with variation in the chassis construction, front faceplate, and the addition/substraction of sub-boards internally, there is some weight difference between the sibling AVR's!

Keeping in mind that the LX305 is around 10kg, LX505 around 15kg, and LX805 around 20kg... the casework will acount for a bit of it, as will the circuit boards, but a large (largest!) chunk of this will be the transformer....

So yes... a 2lb / 1kg heavier AVR does make me feel better - especially if all else is equal.
Meh, don't think weight has been a particular indication of anything important in quite a while. Some might even add a heavier chassis to satisfy this sort of thing without any other benefit,

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Meh, don't think weight has been a particular indication of anything important in quite a while. Some might even add a heavier chassis to satisfy this sort of thing without any other benefit,
But not when they are from the same series, out of the same factory, using the same construction design.

There are some cosmetic differences in the faceplate which identifies the brands - that might involve some weight difference, and due to the differing output boards used in the various models, we will seem some weight variation there. But the main DSP/DAC board, HDMI boards, power supply, amplification, should be identical (and historically, have been between badge engineered models in the family).

So in this case a 1kg, 2 lbs difference, may be quite significant.

The power supply is key on AVR's - we have examples of AVR's which get excellent performance figures when running as a prepro, (no load on the power amp circuits, power supply unstressed) - and then when driving speakers (or simulated speaker loads) - the performance figures drop off... presumably due to issues with the power supply fed to the DSP/HDMI/DAC boards.
500g of capacitors would make a substantial difference to many amps!!

This is not a case of comparing two different companies models, with different casework structures - these are the exact same core chassis design - so differences are significant.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But not when they are from the same series, out of the same factory, using the same construction design.

There are some cosmetic differences in the faceplate which identifies the brands - that might involve some weight difference, and due to the differing output boards used in the various models, we will seem some weight variation there. But the main DSP/DAC board, HDMI boards, power supply, amplification, should be identical (and historically, have been between badge engineered models in the family).

So in this case a 1kg, 2 lbs difference, may be quite significant.

The power supply is key on AVR's - we have examples of AVR's which get excellent performance figures when running as a prepro, (no load on the power amp circuits, power supply unstressed) - and then when driving speakers (or simulated speaker loads) - the performance figures drop off... presumably due to issues with the power supply fed to the DSP/HDMI/DAC boards.
500g of capacitors would make a substantial difference to many amps!!

This is not a case of comparing two different companies models, with different casework structures - these are the exact same core chassis design - so differences are significant.
Yet you don't really know....

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yet you don't really know....
Of course.

No one has actually seen the hardware... no one has had a chance to lay hands on it and test it.

All we have is the spec sheets, manuals, and the marketing blurbs. - so we can analyse the information we do have, and identify the areas we hope will get clarified in subsequent reviews.

H2O Surfer

I just hope none of these are vaporware, and that Voxx & Sharp are in it for the long game.

I guess we have up to another 84 days for them to keep to their "Available Spring 2023" target.

Joost80

Why are you suprised the ELITE PIoneer receivers never disappoint. I’ve owned 3 myself. ( n I’m a high end audio guy ) I just happen to use a receiver as part of my system.
Pioneer from years past are not the Pioneers of today. They might still be good, but Pioneer died after the LX-x9 series. Copy past from Onkyo with a trival things like a different shaped heat sink to upmarket them.

Mista-p604

Pioneer from years past are not the Pioneers of today. They might still be good, but Pioneer died after the LX-x9 series. Copy past from Onkyo with a trival things like a different shaped heat sink to upmarket them.
I still believe in Pioneer the Lx805 is looking like what I’ll be getting (replacing Yamaha rxa8a) n I actually had a cinema 40 on order but no longer cuz with marantz they expect you to overlook what your getting and you are simply paying a surcharge for a name that people who know nothing about audio know that marantz is good. Unfortunately I also have to look at the value and there just isn’t enough there. I do own a McIntosh pre amp tho but that’s different I may be paying for a name but there is so much musical satisfaction from it I justify it llol

H2O Surfer

I still believe in Pioneer the Lx805 is looking like what I’ll be getting (replacing Yamaha rxa8a) n I actually had a cinema 40 on order but no longer cuz with marantz they expect you to overlook what your getting and you are simply paying a surcharge for a name that people who know nothing about audio know that marantz is good. Unfortunately I also have to look at the value and there just isn’t enough there.
I'm coming from an SC-65, right before Pioneer Home AV was sold to Onkyo, but I too still believe in the brand. I was looking at the Cinema 40 also, but with the Marantz tax, and not including any Dirac license - only being Dirac-Ready - the value is just not (subjectively) there for me compared to the Voxx offerings. So I'm now patiently waiting for the LX805 (or maybe even the DRX8.4) to actually become available for purchase, as my replacement.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Aesthetics....

Looking at the RZ70, I find it to be "bland" - it continues the Onkyo family aesthetic, but in its blandest, flat front faceplate form - my previous Onkyo SR876 had a far more attractive "sculpted" front faceplate...

Both the Pioneer LX805 and the Integra DRX 8.4, have more of a premium look simply by dint of having a bit more "interest" to the faceplate

Right now, I would go for the Integra in terms of appearance, but it would not cost them an arm and a leg to do something better with the RZ70...

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aesthetics....

Looking at the RZ70, I find it to be "bland" - it continues the Onkyo family aesthetic, but in its blandest, flat front faceplate form - my previous Onkyo SR876 had a far more attractive "sculpted" front faceplate...

Both the Pioneer LX805 and the Integra DRX 8.4, have more of a premium look simply by dint of having a bit more "interest" to the faceplate

Right now, I would go for the Integra in terms of appearance, but it would not cost them an arm and a leg to do something better with the RZ70...
Yeah, my trusty old TX-NR809 looks a lot better.

Goolsby

Anyone hearing anything from dealers on the exact release date of the drx 8.4, lx-805, or RZ-70?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone hearing anything from dealers on the exact release date of the drx 8.4, lx-805, or RZ-70?
Sounds like May. BTW, there's a video overview of the Integra here:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom