• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR Atmos Speaker Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go for the speakers! I don't know how much I appreciate your work..even if can't understand how you do all this..
I just read your technical background in your post, hats off.. how difficult it is to have this kind of careers outside Silicon Valley or USA in general? Not the right place for a rant on careers..but the engineer in me is crying..anyway thanks for your unbelievable efforts!

Is Amphion and Quad on your pending list? I would love to see a review of a panel speaker, especially a concentric design as the Quad and siblings..
Panel speakers likely will measure terribly. The in-room response (predicted or real) is what I would look, as that should look good regardless.

Mauro

Panel speakers likely will measure terribly. The in-room response (predicted or real) is what I would look, as that should look good regardless.
Yes, who knows what Klippel can offer against quasi anechoic measurements of John Atkinson. I am curious...

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Thank you for the EQ addition to the last few reviews. Very, very cool and helps. I appreciate the efforts - hopefully it is a bit of fun!

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

I purchased a pair from Pioneer on ebay. They have new ones. I offered them $250 and they said yes. I did not keep them. The sound was just not my jam right out of the box. I didn't even give them a couple hours. Usually I will. Funny I liked the ELAC version enough to keep them around for awhile. I wonder if I should send a pair of those in for testing - they have better bass and I feel a smoother mid range and top end. Interesting to see if they are much different.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if these are designed to be used with the atmos simultaneously - in other words, I wonder if the atmos output is supposed to fill in some of the stuff coming from the main drivers.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if these are designed to be used with the atmos simultaneously - in other words, I wonder if the atmos output is supposed to fill in some of the stuff coming from the main drivers.
I doubt it, I would hope it’s only active when the receiver has a height object to play. The height coaxial is likely tied with the bottom woofer though.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt it, I would hope it’s only active when the receiver has a height object to play. The height coaxial is likely tied with the bottom woofer though.

Safe to assume they occupy the same volume? Sort of an odd way to make a speaker. I wouldn't expect these to be stellar for 2 channel music but in a full 7/9.1 setup they'd probably perform well.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any chance you could measure the Atmos module as a separate speaker? I'm curious to see what if any "HRTF" EQ is actually employed, albeit not quite curious enough to buy one and test it myself :)

When I did an AVR review early in the days of Atmos, I used KEF eggs and applied the treble EQ shown in Dolby's bouncey-house patent.

wwenze

Major Contributor

Hmm how do you spin something that is supposed to have the back in a wall

Maybe just measure the front 180 degrees and assume sound doesn't come out from the back half?

Mauro

Hmm how do you spin something that is supposed to have the back in a wall

Maybe just measure the front 180 degrees and assume sound doesn't come out from the back half?
I should read again how the measurement is done but if I properly recall is the microphone that spins not the speaker and the measurement should be time-windowed (Provided that the speaker is far enough from the wall... amir seems to have a giant garage)

wwenze

Major Contributor
My bad, I was thinking of in-wall speakers when I read panel.

Putter

Forum Donor
According to Dolby Labs Using the Dolby surround upmixer function in Dolby Atmos enabled AVRs, you can choose to have our technology automatically adapt that channel-based signal to use the full capabilities of your new system, including your overhead speakers, ensuring that you hear realistic and immersive sound.

It is unclear whether these upmixed levels will be the same as the fronts. It also implies that you will be playing stereo sources into an upmixer which can give variable results depending on the material. I've found good results on Dolby PLii (another Dolby upmixer) with jazz and classical, but less favorable with other genres and the results can even depend on mood. I've found vocals to be most affected often to a degree of being unlistenable.:eek:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SPL Vertical Radar.jpg
SPL Horizontal Radar.jpg

For those who likes radar plots. You can find all the ASR graphs for speakers (and more) in this
spinorama website.

kokishin

Forum Donor

Jtom

Hi , I just got a pair of these for the 269 price on the bay. I wish I had seen this first- reviews elsewhere are so positive. I am driving them with a Parasound zamp and they are not hifi . Of course I realize that amp is nowhere near powerful enough, but I have a Nova 125se on the way and will give that a shot but I have all ideas that even that will not fix the fuzzy highs and mids.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I just purchased the towers and I am actually quite satisfied. I see them selling for 800 on average, but found mine on OfferUp for 400. I have a fudge ton of tower speakers, I usually just buy to take a listen and see what’s out there.

I will add I am running them on a tube amp, so I am not sure how much that maybe playing on the reproduction. I was using the same pioneer non elite towers and this is far better in my opinion

Also I will say I am an Andrew Jones Fan Boy. I own 4 pairs of speakers designed by him

Edit: also did see this review prior to purchase, but I know sometimes towers will vary for better or worse

Top Bottom